Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who are U calling 'old'?

Poster: A snowHead
easiski (split fromSeason claims one of its last victims thread) wrote:
Today I met a 75 year old man who is training slalom all week with one of our local race trainers. He skis really well - mega impressive

easiski, Might have met him! Not that guy who trains in the summer on the glacier with Pierre Alain?? Remarkable bloke, if that's the one. Pretty fast too!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is very encouaging. I've got decades of skiing still to go if I can emulate.
The Ski Club now won't let you go on ordinary holidays (or lead) if you are 60 or over. That's still a few years off yet for me, but near enough to feel personal. It strikes me this shouldn't be an inflexible rule, which it is now (but younger punters might not agree...)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We met a chap in Val Thorens who said he stayed there 4 months of the year and did 3-4 hours ski-ing a day - he was 80!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

The Ski Club now won't let you go on ordinary holidays (or lead) if you are 60 or over.

That's terribly discriminating, who makes rules like that? I am 72 and often ski with a group of men and ladies, all over 70, because we ski free in most areas and we usually ski the pants off the younger crowd. rolling eyes

....Ott
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball, The ESF now have an office in La Grave, but I suspect most of the ones kurt von liebewitz, mentioned go over from here!

Regards the SCGB older groups, I had a friend (now sadly dead - not ski-ing) who in her late 60's was obliged to go with the over 60's group. They were slow and in her words a lot of boring old f**ts, Sad so she complained and was allowed to ski with the over 50's group which was much more to her liking! Very Happy

PG, Didn't catch his name, but aparently he runs marathons as well! he may very well be here in the summer, but I haven't met him before. He and Pierre-Alain seem to know each other very well though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, Definitely the same guy then, he used to run marathons but found his joints were suffering as the years went by, so took up skiing instead!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I thought the hut in the car park was the Guides office.

As for over 60s, I gather the over 50s holidays have always been, in effect, over 60s, since nobody wants to go on them till they have to. They used to make exceptions if you were obviously up to it, but someone on the council told they have now clamped down and make no exceptions, even for their best reps (party guides)..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My best 'ski-mate' just turned 60. He was on 2m straight skis till about 3 yrs back and was still out-skiing me easily. As my technique improved he started 'feeling a little bit old' then he tried carvers and suddenly I'm having trouble keeping up again.

I'm in my 30's, reasonably fit and a good skier. I'm stubborn enough to 'make the most of the day' even when the weather or the visibility is bad. The point is that i'll out-ski most people I know during a week - not him! The idea that his ability should suddenly be downgraded this season compared to last is frankly laughable. Laughing

This yr I've seen him: buy Pocket Rockets, learn to ski backwards (and round and round on one foot), learn to accelerate through carving, ski the steepest, deepest slopes we could find in Tignes and never quit till the last lift no matter what the conditions. I've also seen him ski through lunch when the rest of the group (all in their 30's) wanted a break. rolling eyes

The only saving grace is that he's always seen the SCGB as a bunch of toffs and fogeys anyway so he won't be losing sleep over their 'marking him down' snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you blokes ever cross the pond to New England, there is an instructor at Sugarloaf, the Loaf, as we yanks call it, that is about 77 yeaars old. The young dudes freak out when she zooms right past them! Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Unfortunately the club-that-must-not-be-named seems obsessed with ageist doctrines. Seems they believe old people are a disincentive to not old members.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Terry Wells, Ageism is definitely a British disease Sad The French are not nearly so discriminatory Exclamation People (and most skiers appear to be people) should be judged on their ability and not their calendar age. Smile PG, I'll keep an eye out for him this summer, and report on how many "youngsters" he beats in the timed runs.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Ageism is definitely a British disease The French are not nearly so discriminatory People (and most skiers appear to be people) should be judged on their ability and not their calendar age.

I wholly agree, yet ski equipment manufacturers do not, and instruct binding technicians to apply lower DIN settings because one passes from 49 years 364 days to 50 years of age.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski wrote:
Ageism is definitely a British disease :( The French are not nearly so discriminatory.

Try to apply for a job in France if you are 35 years or over. The civil service has only just repealed maximum age restrictions here for jobs (between 30 to 40 depending on the position) and if you look through the papers you will see many adverts specify an age restriction and frequently specify the sex of the applicant.

Still Dr Douste-Blazy, the health minister, has promised not to let old folk die abandonned on trolleys in hospital corridors if there is another heatwave this August. So I guess that is something.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saw quite a few 'mature@ ESF instructors in Serre Che this Easter.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont, I know a super guy here (who only works 2 weeks a year) who's about 80 now. He did the Vallee Blanche this year with the rest of the school. He's great with ladies of a "certain age", takes them to lunch, chats them up and a good time is had by all. His name's Alain Rannou and he was one of the first instructors here in about 1951 I think; he taught himself to speak English by reading the New York Herald Tribune with a dictionary. Amazing bloke. Very Happy
snow conditions
Mr HH has a mate who only gave up skiing at 83...and only then because his wife decided she'd had enough. They've taken up windsurfing as a gentler alternative!!!

We've got all their old how to ski books from the year dot....very interesting to see how it used to be done!
snow report
Helen Beaumont, there are quite a few out there. I don't suppose you've seen the elderly lady ESF instructor. From behind, she gets all the admiring glances from the men, and envious ones from the women. A great figure, emphasised by a figure hugging ski suit, and long blonde hair. The front's pretty good, until you look into her face and realise she's got to be at least 65+, and the "hair" is almost certainly a wig. Boy can she ski, though.

Or there's "DooDoo" - another aged instructor with a booze red complexion. He also does the parapenting! Not with me strapped under him I'll tell you - I've seen him drinking Shocked
snow conditions
I went on my first 'over 50s' Ski Club holiday in March, mainly because I wanted to go to Obergurgl, where I had never previously skiied. I was one of the few in the group who had to pay full whack for my lift pass.
I was pleased, the skiing may have been a bit more laid back than normal, but it was just as adventurous and energetic as on other holidays. The biggest difference was on the social side. I spent no more than 2 minutes in my room all week, apart from when sleeping or getting changed, on occassion not going to bed until 2am, and generally having one of the best ski holidays ever.
snow report
I think skiing is the only time i really mix with people of all ages (other than family get togethers!). Usually there's a mix of ages in chalets - and this may just be anecdotal - but the 'older' skiing fraternity are certainly well up for late night drinking and getting up early for the lifts next day! More so than some of my own age group (20's) Laughing
snow report
We've had more practice mm.... Wink
ski holidays
It's not strictly true about the SCGB restricting the over-60's on their normal holidays. I skied with a 64 and 68 year old on one of the off-piste holidays last year. I'll have to stick up for them, they were freakishly fit for their ages, appeared to be both gold standard, and I am not ashamed to admit that I was out-skied by them both! And isn't Martin Epp, one of the SCGB guides, at least 85?
snow report
This strict application of the over 60 rule is new, Kit. Up till now the Ski Club has used their discretion and asked party leaders if they were happy to lead an "over age" person who had recently been classed as fit and skilled enough for the holiday. It applies to punters and Ski Club reps and leaders, but perhaps not Mountain Guides employed ad hoc (we'll have to see if Martin is on the list next year).
Steveb, I'm encouraged that you say the holiday was as adventurous and energetic as other holidays but its not what I've heard from other people. (The social life bit is what I heard!)
latest report
snowball wrote:
This strict application of the over 60 rule is new

Out of interest, just how long has this been going on?
ski holidays
Quote:

who had recently been classed as fit and skilled enough for the holiday

Do you have to have a medical?
snow report
No. If you ski with a rep or a party leader even for a day they report their grading of your skiing to the Ski Club.
They also accept self-grading for holidays but at your own risk. If you aren't good enough for the group they can tell you to go and ski with the ski school.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy