Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2000 in March 2018

Poster: A snowHead
We are off for our second family ski trip to Arc 2000 in Les Arcs next March and, although we skied the Paradiski area this year (staying in Peisey), I would be interested to hear any recommendations (in terms of skiing, eating, stuff to do etc) whilst in Arc 2000. We are travelling with Esprit - staying in The Altitude Residence - have kids (aged 7 to 11), a wide variety of abilities and looking for tips for intermediate/advanced adult skiers (in the mornings), kids just learning to parallel ski (in the afternoons) and beginners (when they can be tempted out!).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Tony, I've been to Les Arcs quite a few times in the past few years (including a working season in 2010-11), and was there last in 2016 staying the Altitude Residence (albeit with Ski Total, who are a sister company to Espirit). It's a really great location and ever so easy so getting to the slopes if you're happy on a short button lift.

You obviously know the Les Arcs ski area quite well having been there before, I won't go into enormous details, but staying at Arc 2000 and needing to be back for lunchtime I'd recommend:

For the intermediate/advanced it has to be Aiguille Rouge, take the cable car up to the top and ski all the way down to Villaroger. It's 2km of vertical, 7km distance but absolutely superb, starting out with glacier skiing, cruisey wide motorways, then reds and blues through the trees lower down. The lift system getting back up is a bit slow, so allow plenty of time, its 3 full chairlifts from the very bottom to the point you can ski into 2000.

For beginners and early intermediates the Arc 2000 bowl is actually a very good place to be, there's enough gentle blues there to get going on and keep occupied for a day or two.

A nice loop to do from 2000 is to ski down to the Comborciere lift and take that up and over to above Arc 1600 (its a slow lift but great scenery on a blue sky day). From there there's various options but I'd recommend hooking onto the Mont Blanc blue run into Arc 1600, it's a lovely run. Then from there make your way via reds and/or blues to Arc 1800, take the Transarc back up and ski into Arc 2000 again.

My favourite ski area is above Peisey and its dead easy to get (and back from), Belette, Aigle, Ours and Combe are some fabulous red runs.

With kids, make sure you ski through the centre of Arc 1950, that's a fun thing to do. And stop at the waffle shop for a hop waffle with chocolate, they're exquisite

The beauty of Les Arcs is that you're rarely more than 2 chairlifts away from getting anywhere else in the ski area, so you can entirely make the most of it without worrying about whether you'll make it back in time.

Hope that helps, I'm sure others will have their own favourites too.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Given your previous Paradiski experience, let's concentrate on the slopes in and around 2000 that you may not have seen so much of:

For both beginners and intermediates, the new Pre St Esprit lift is going to make big difference in being able to use Cascades, aka Vallee de l'Arc 2, aka "that run down to Combouciere" : you'll be able to get back into the 2000 bowl without the current 15 minute 'freezer lift'. But agree going up the Combouciere lift is a nice way into the 1600/1800 face.

It also may change the thought process on the route back from Villaroger: is it better to continue going up via Droset lift, or maybe take the picturesque tree-lined track back to Pre, and speed up to the 2000 bowl? Will for sure take a bit longer, (and may involve a stop at the restaurants at the bottom!) but may also be a nicer ski. Guess we will find out when the season opens (12 weeks and counting...)

To save hanging around for the Aguille Rouge cable car - can be a loooong queue - you can take the Lanchettes lift out of the centre of 2000 - joining the piste Dav mentions about 1/2 way down. Doing it just after lunch will give you Red but child friendly access to the Villaroger sector, and importantly with better snow conditions than first thing in the morning. After the first couple of hundred yards, it opens out, becomes a much easier red, and then splits into mogul red or a nice easy blue that re-join each other maybe 400 yards lower. And of course there is the Solliet cafe that is beautifully positioned for a chocolate stop for, well, everyone! The run to the bottom of Villaroger (below the Violets lift) are not a lot to write home about, unless you are (a) looking to get to the edge of the area for box ticking, or b) intending to visit La Ferme. It is a gorgeous little hamlet, and the restaurant is well regarded (we especially like the tarte myrtille). In which case, worth doing!

For your advanced group, then the blacks under the Varet lift are a must: Lanches, Dou de l'homme and Cretes. If you do get up to Aguille Rouge, and there is sufficient snow cover, then Robert Blanc, for me anyway, is THE signature run. But make sure you are feeling good - it is not an easy black, and there is no bail-out once you start.

Gosh, even just thinking about all the possibilities is making the mouth water and the concentration on what I'm supposed to be doing falter...

AR
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Arctic Roll, you've got me quite excited

Quote:

It also may change the thought process on the route back from Villaroger: is it better to continue going up via Droset lift, or maybe take the picturesque tree-lined track back to Pre, and speed up to the 2000 bowl? Will for sure take a bit longer, (and may involve a stop at the restaurants at the bottom!) but may also be a nicer ski. Guess we will find out when the season opens (12 weeks and counting...)

Not sure about this you still have to take your skis off and walk across the road. I think I would just catch the bus around to 1600 if I got there.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow - thanks both! I am also really looking forward to the ski season fast approaching now!!

Prior to this family trip, i have a full week's lad's holiday in La Daille in January (with Ski Total) so can't wait to try out my new skis and boots!!!

Thanks very much for the tips - they are really helpful as most of the skiing we did this year was on the Peisey side or from the top of the Transarc and I am looking forward to trying out some new runs (even though the ones we did were all amazing!).

We didn't get to the Arc 2000 side that much this year and, on the last day, when I was planning a trip to the Aguille Rouge, the wind got up and they closed most of the higher chair lifts so never actually got up there!!

Definitely going to try the blacks at the top of the Varet and love the sound of the others mentioned!

Would also be interested in any tips or information about Arc 2000 itself? Dav - you mention a short button lift to the charlifts/top of slopes which is no problem but what is the walk to there like? What else is in the resort for us or the kids?

Thanks again - Tony
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The blacks from the top of the Varet plus Robert Blanc, Combouciere and Ours are in my mind what define black pistes. The rest are just steep reds. They are all worth a trip to Les Arcs for alone. I cannot recall another ski resort, not even EK or L3V that have such a concentration of high quality genuine black pistes.

I don't know 2000 very well but IIRC there is a bowling alley (obscuring the view from font neige). An evening trip on the bus will bring you to Arc 1800 and Mile8 with the spa (not spar - that's the shop), swimming pool and luge run.

You probably know about the luge run from the Col du Chal (Rodeo) already but that is fun for children of all ages. Though I haven't personally tried it the dog sled at Pre st Espirit are supposed to be good.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @johnE
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE, don't forget Droset (when open) as a 'proper' black - you don't so much fall, as lean against the piste...

There is also a 'Deep Natur' Spa in 1950 which may be easier to get to than 1800, plus another host of restaurants to supplement those in 2000. And with the lift between the two villages running now until at least 11:30 , perfectly accessible.

Both villages do have a host of free entertainments available for the kids: check out the respective websites nearer the time for what's on in the week you're going to be there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Arctic Roll, Yes I forgot Droset. It is always closed when I get there. The only time I attempted it it was marked as closed, half way down I realised why.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
tonyswift wrote:
We didn't get to the Arc 2000 side that much this year and, on the last day, when I was planning a trip to the Aguille Rouge, the wind got up and they closed most of the higher chair lifts so never actually got up there!!

Per Arctic Roll's post; there can be loooong queues to get up the Auiguille Rouge cable car, and it often shuts because of winds. In such cases the Lanchettes chair out of 2000 is a good way to get up and access the Villaroger areas, there's quite a few nice runs down there that (because of its general location at the extent of the ski area) is usually pretty quiet. The first 200m after Lanchettes can be a bit larey, as you need to get some speed up to overcome a long flat and slightly uphil section. No problem for an intermediate but beginner-inters might find it a bit of a knee-knocker.

tonyswift wrote:
Would also be interested in any tips or information about Arc 2000 itself? Dav - you mention a short button lift to the charlifts/top of slopes which is no problem but what is the walk to there like? What else is in the resort for us or the kids?

Tony, this is a stitched image that I put together to show my pals the short distance from the lift to the Altitude; whilst not in shot, the Residence is about another 50 metres up the road past Whistles Pub. The photo is a bit odd as it's stitched together, that road is more or less straight and pretty flat. Really quite a nice easy jaunt to get there and back.

That button lift goes up to a place where you can walk to ski school places, and ski down to other lifts. Also its where the lift goes to Arc 1950 that you can use into the early evening for a trip down there when the pistes are closed. Admittedly the button lift slope can be a bit hairy to ski down last thing; there's plenty of other options though including skiing into Arc 2000 and walking another (easy) route to the Altitude, or ski down and get a magic carpet up to catch an elevator down in the brown building in the middle of the picture. That can get a bit congested at start/finishing times, but it's very handy if you've stopped for drinks / bite to eat in 2000.

Arc 2000 isn't exactly a thriving metropolis but there's quite a few nice bars and restaurants. Whistlers Pub, in the picture, is your closest and really good, my mate Ruud owns and runs it and there's usually a decent atmosphere in there. Cracking pizzas too. If you're doing the chalet thing then I guess you''ll be in most nights, but I'd definitely recommend a trip to 1950 before dinner once or twice, its a really lovely setting for the kids (albeit a bit faux chocolate box).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks @Dav, really appreciate that. I guess no more than a 5 min walk with kids and gear to the bottom of the button lift then? Last time, in Peisey, it wasn't a long way but had to go up a lot of steps to get to the bottom of the Peisey lift!! Good warm up though!!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
More like 2-3 minutes from the ski and boot room (bottom floor of the Altitude Residence) to the bottom of the lift, even with kids, and a very very slight downhill gradient. That's my type of morning ski warm up! You can choose to turn left out of the residence, then right under the archway and up to Olympic Place and the lifts that way, but its a bit more uphill with a small set of steps at the end, and slightly a longer walk in total (still only 5 minutes or so though). Perfectly good to do on the way back at the end of the day though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just noticed your location too; always nice to help out a fellow Sotonian!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lol - oh yes!! There are a few of us going from Chandlers Ford on a lads' trip to La Daille in January plus the family trip to Les Arcs in March
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Espace Killy is an astonishingly good ski area, you'll have an amazing time there.
snow conditions
This year was my first time skiing for many years and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I am still a relatively competent skier. Having not been since I was in my early 20's (over 20 years ago!!) I was amazed at how much things have changed and how convenient everything is now. We really enjoyed the Paradiski area and if Space Killy is anything like as good I will be very happy!!!!

You obviously ski a fair bit!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy