Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
It's clearly looking like a matter of how far North & East into the Dolomites the snow penetrates. We'll have to see what wins out!

Meanwhile it's a sparkling morning on the webcams! Cool
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
luigi wrote:
It's clearly looking like a matter of how far North & East into the Dolomites the snow penetrates. We'll have to see what wins out!

My feeling is that GFS will win over ECMthis time ie there will be some material amount of snow - although not the 70cm plus which GFS based Snowforecast is predicting!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pjd wrote:
luigi wrote:

My feeling is that GFS will win over ECMthis time ie there will be some material amount of snow - although not the 70cm plus which GFS based Snowforecast is predicting!

There's a good chance some places in Italy will see 70cm out of this scenario, but I agree, probably not the Sella Ronda areas.

The pretty wePowder maps are suggesting accumulations of 30-50cm, not sure which model they are based on, but their written forecasts are usually well-informed.

https://wepowder.com/en

It's the snowHeads pre BB warm-up week in Alleghe starting on the 27th, so Goldilocks amounts will be welcome, no doubt!! snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bergfex looks a lot less bullish but with plenty of sun around, which will no doubt continue to be welcome. Plenty of snow on all the pistes with an increasing chance of getting a tan Cool
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A bit of non weather talk. So we'll be staying in Selva. I guess we'll be exploring all the areas around the Sella Ronda.

What's the deal when it comes to making sure we can get back to Selva each night? Are there buses in case we end up stuck in some other towns aroun the Sella Ronda? What about if we want to do apres ski in another place and get home later by transport?

What types of distances/taxi fares are we looking at?

Thanks for any hints/tips/advice!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Aussieboarder, If the weather's been generally good, the passes between the resorts are generally open but they're a very long way round. Never been caught and had to rely on taxis but would imagine you'd be facing at least €50 to get back from Corvara - if coming from that way, you need to back at Borest lift by 3.30 latest as there can be queues to do the lift-chain up to Dantercepies, you can always do a few laps of Dantercepies slopes down to Selva which are fabulous runs at the end of the day as the sun goes down. The other way, you need to be at Piz Seteur by c.4pm I'd say, you can ski all the way down to Selva from there through Plan de Gralba anyway. Don't think there are any buses from Sella Ronda but there are up fro Ortisei/St. Christina but never got one.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aussieboarder wrote:
A bit of non weather talk. So we'll be staying in Selva. I guess we'll be exploring all the areas around the Sella Ronda.

What's the deal when it comes to making sure we can get back to Selva each night? Are there buses in case we end up stuck in some other towns aroun the Sella Ronda? What about if we want to do apres ski in another place and get home later by transport?

What types of distances/taxi fares are we looking at?

Thanks for any hints/tips/advice!

Very few buses, and just very expensive cabs if you get stuck the other side of the Sella. Not all of the high passes between the valleys are kept open in the winter.

The good news is that they tend to "close" the Sella Ronda routes if there's a risk of closing the relevant lifts - precisely to avoid people getting stuck in the wrong valley.
High winds in the passes are the main reason for lift closures, I think.
Last season a group of us skied Sella Ronda Orange although it was marked closed - I took a risk as I'm reasonably familiar with the area and we were careful to check that a lift to get us out of a valley was open before we skied down into it.
I wouldn't advise doing that if you're new to the area.

Just check the lift closing times on the Dolomiti Superski website (at the moment typically 16:15 or 16:30 but they get a bit later as the season goes on) and give yourself plenty of leeway.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My advice would be to Apres in Selva or one of the refugios above. I reckon the taxi from Corvara to Selva would be nearer E100. We paid E12 just to get up to the top of the village from Corvara main street Sad Selva is also likely to be livelier.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh - if you're planning one of the longer itineraries such as the Marmolada or the Hidden Valley then obviously start early. Everyone in your party needs to be confident on red runs and able to get a move on if necessary. Especially true of the Marmolada. The charms of the Dolomites are such that long lunches and stopping for photos can eat into your time - not that those things aren't worthwhile but keep at least half an eye on the clock.

snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When staying in Selva, a group of us deliberately stayed in Corvara for the apres ski at the great Murin bar. They ordered a taxi back for the 5 of us at about 18.30 which I think was something between €10-€15 each. It was good fun and I’d do it again!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The problem with the hidden Valley and Marmolada from Selva is that you simply can't get there early enough to avoid queuing for the uplifts. Of the 2, I won't be bothering with the hidden Valley again - yes, it is a lovely and scenic run but we had to queue at Armentarola for 45 mins for the bus up to Lagazuoi, then again for (at least) 45 mins for the cable car, nice as it is, it is not worth 1.5hrs of queuing. The Marmolada I would definitely do again though, as there's a lot of skiing involved. By the time you get there there will generally be a 10-15min queue for the 2 man chair across from Arabba but it's a lovely long ski down to the cable cars after that but once you're there (probably around 11am if starting early-doors from Selva) there will be at least a 30min queue for the cable cars up - but the lifts are all synchronised and view from the top is amazing, as is the run down - really good, steep north-facing skiing with plenty of side-piste!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Excellent explanation of the quite complex evolution of the Genoa Low scenario for Friday at the end of wePowder's daily forecast...no mention of the Dolomites though.

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/253917
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
luigi wrote:
Excellent explanation of the quite complex evolution of the Genoa Low scenario for Friday at the end of wePowder's daily forecast...no mention of the Dolomites though.

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/253917

00z GFS run has downsized the snow for the Dolomites for end of the week, coming into line with Bergfex (10cm for Grödnertal region)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That would be a perfect amount. Enough to freshen up the slopes but no disruption to 100% open lifts, slopes or access roads. Goldilocks again snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can anyone give me any useful links to info about the various routes and accessing them and timings etc please. Will be staying near Canazei and probably accessing from Alba.

Interested in the Sella Ronda circuit and the differences between the green and orange routes. Also possibly the WW1 route as a friend sent me photos and talked about the horse tow which sounds like a novelty. And what is the Hidden Valley one?

Also the advice on starting early and keeping moving. Is this a case of be on the first lift and don't stop for lunch?

And finally how competent would one need to be? I will be with a 3 week skier though being extremely fit and otherwise very sporty I strongly suspect this person is going to be one of those frustrating individuals who is a complete natural rolling eyes Laughing

Thanks for any tips and info for a newbie to this area snowHead
snow conditions
https://www.altabadia.org/media/erster-weltkrieg-grande-guerra.pdf
snow conditions
Hidden Valley - graham bell

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/articles/graham-bell-skis-the-lagazuoi-piste-in-cortina-d-ampezzo/

---------------------------------

http://www.dolomiti.com.au/canazei/the-skiing.html

-----------------------------------

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 24-01-18 13:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
You can incorporate the Hidden Valley into the Super 8 tour which i can really recommend:
http://lagazuoi5torri.dolomiti.org/ita/cortina/laga5torri/inverno/superotto_mappa.jpg
I would start this when you arrive. From where the taxi drops you, cross the road and ski on the blue track down to Cinque Torre. There you can pick up a map which explains the route better. Spend a few hours in the CT area and then head back to Lagazuoi and do the Hidden Valley, i found this worked well as when i came back there around 13:00 it was pretty quiet as most visitors head there in the morning.
If you are accessing from Alba, defnitely head down Val di Fassa.
As a 3 week skier, you might enjoy the Heilige Kreuz area which you reach via the lifts from the village La Villa. Nice long easy pistes and very quiet.
Marmolada is another great day trip (stunning views) but the long piste from the top back down is steep in places and normally rather crowded.
Personally i think the orange route (clockwise) is more fun than the other way.
Always feel a bit of envy for people heading to the Sella Ronda for the first time. Ski area is mind blowing - then the fantastic scenery, great food and reasonable prices...it is one of the worlds great ski areas.
latest report
@sarah.
Sella Ronda: Green (anti-clockwise) is marginally easier, though Orange (clockwise) now has a new route at Arabba that avoids the steepest pitch off Porta Vescovo that used to cause problems for inexperienced skiers. Both versions can be easily done in a day by someone who can tackle reds with proficiency. Fully signposted throughout. Most use the Sella Ronda to access other areas off it as the main circuit can be quite busy. Edelweiss Valley above Colfosco is a good spot to divert if you have spare time.

Panorama Tour: from Alba to Pozza di Fassa and back, a short circuit that can be made into a daytrip by catching the little train across Pozza to the Pera chairlift and exploring the delightfully quiet Catinaccio area. You can always catch the bus back to Canazei/Alba from Pera if you don't want to ski back.

WWI Tour: this can be done in both directions. Arabba will be your nearest entry point. Clockwise can take in the Marmolada. Anti-clockwise includes the Hidden Valley. Both involve 2 payable bus journeys (€5 each, Malga Ciapela-Alleghe & Pescul-Fedare or vice-versa) and if you get the timings wrong (or get lost) can be long days. It would be expensive if you couldn't make the last lifts back from Arabba to Canazei/Alba. You would need a good long clear day for this. @Woosh's link maps it all out for you including the Marmolada & Hidden Valley.

Hidden Valley: You can get over to the Hidden Valley directly. Ski to Armentarola (via Arabba) and catch one of the minibus taxis on the main rd by the Hotel Armentarola up to the Falzarego Pass, where the cable car takes you up to Lagazuoi, where the Hidden Valley run starts. Lunch at Rifugio Scotoni, 2/3 of the way down is a good pitstop. At the bottom the Horse-Tow takes you most of the way back to Armentarola.

Marmolada: the highest point in the whole area at 3270m and the 12km 'Bellunese' red run down the glacier is a great daytrip on a clear day. Could perhaps be combined with a trip on the way back up the Sass Pordoi cablecar (at the Pordoi Pass above Canazei) which at 2960m is the other high point of the area. The steep south-facing run down the face here isn't always open, but the views from the top on a clear day are magnificent, even if you have to ride the cablecar back down.

The 'James Bond run' (La Longia, Seceda-Ortisei): Using the Orange Sella Ronda, head over towards Selva. At Ciampinoi, drop down the black Saslong Mens Downhill. Catch the underground train across the valley to the Seceda area. At the top drop off the back down the 'James Bond' run to Ortisei. At the bottom take the gondola/cablecar back up to Seceda, down across the valley on the underground train and retrace steps back to Canazei using the Green Sella Ronda.

All the above can be done in a day by competent fit intermediate skiers. The WWI tour would be the longest from Canazei/Alba. I would only attempt that one if you are confident that all in your group could navigate it swiftly and without getting lost.

Also, you will need the Dolomiti Superski pass to do most of these routes.

Enjoy!! snowHead
snow report
Bergfex now predicts no snow for Wolkenstein over the weekend and GFS ensembles have reduced it to the merest bump!
snow report
albob wrote:
Hidden Valley - graham bell

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/articles/graham-bell-skis-the-lagazuoi-piste-in-cortina-d-ampezzo/

That's the run down the front face from Lagazuoi, not the Hidden Valley proper, which forks left after the first pitch and goes down the back away from the cable car. You could do the Front Face run first if the queues aren't too long at the cable car. Great views all round though!
ski holidays
pjd wrote:
Bergfex now predicts no snow for Wolkenstein over the weekend and GFS ensembles have reduced it to the merest bump!

ARPAV are suggesting it's the Pre-Alps and S Dolomites which will see the snow Fri night into Sat. Selva is perhaps too far north to get much out of this one.
snow report
@luigi, DOH !!
snow report
Hello folks, slightly off topic but I don't know where else to try.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a private ski instructor who is good with kids in Innichen/ San Candido or Sesto/ Sexten?

Long shot I know.

Cheers.
snow conditions
The Sella Ronda looks to be having a commercially very successful season.

Lots of people out last week and looking quite busy again on the webcams today, in what must be two of the quieter weeks of the ski season? The hotels and restaurants must be doing good business and ticket sales must be strong. Perhaps because of the reliable weather and good natural snow cover.

Bodes well for maintenance and investment spending in the summer although it may also mean more competition for accommodation next year Puzzled

Took this picture on Sunday flying home from Venice. It shows the transition between the bad weather to the north of the Alpine ridge and the clear air to the south (left). This is what protects the Dolomites from the northerly storms.

latest report
Wow!! Thank you all so much for all of that information. Going to take me a while to plough through and take it all in!!

Slightly wary of going too far afield without knowing the area and potentially getting stuck in the wrong valley, seems vast!
ski holidays
sarah wrote:
Wow!! Thank you all so much for all of that information. Going to take me a while to plough through and take it all in!!

Slightly wary of going too far afield without knowing the area and potentially getting stuck in the wrong valley, seems vast!

It's probably one of the few ski circuits that is actually larger in span than the Portes du Soleil.

Those daytrips are all doable, but you're wise to be a bit cautious about the far-flung ones, like the WWI tour.

Sella Ronda with the odd diversion is pretty straightforward as it's so well-signposted. Try that one first and see how it goes.

The Panorama tour over to Pozza is also easy to do if you just go there and back and play around in between repeating the best runs, pretty quiet over that way too.

The Marmolada would be worth it on a clear day, make sure you climb up to the viewing area at the top of the station for 360 views. From Alba it would be a similar or slightly longer distance covered to the Sella Ronda. Don't bother if there's cloud, it's awful with no vis. Don't ski back down the flats to the base station, catch the Padon chair back to Arabba. You would know if you had time on the way back to take a look Sass Pordoi too.

The Hidden Valley is just breathtaking and worth doing in fine weather, but there is the unknown of the queues for the taxi-buses and the cablecar, alluded to by @jma earlier. The taxi-guys in Arabba will take you directly to the cablecar for about €10-€12 a head if you can fill a taxi with others. It's €5 or €6 from Armentarola.

You could make your way over to Seceda and then gauge if you have time to do the 'James Bond' run down and cablecar back up once you get there. You can shorten this one by starting and finishing the day at the cablecar in Campitello (next village along the valley, reachable by ski-bus from Canazei/Alba). Queues can build on the cablecars though.

Hope that helps! snowHead
snow report
Becoming more confused by the apparent complexities of all this. I'm sure it will become clearer at the time....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haven't mentioned seiseralm, kronplatz or Santa crocoe but they are probably too far from that side

Plenty to go at. You'll need at least 3 weeks just to get your head around the possibilities snowHead
latest report
How long does it take to do the circuit. I see a earlier post says it's possible to get round in a day if you are reasonably comportment on reds. However at a drinks party the other day I was speaking to a late middle aged woman who claimed it was something you could do in 2-3 hours. Is she a super good skier or full of it.
latest report
@FrequentFaller, The Sella Ronda? Yeah it's doable in a few hours if you don't stop, Orange route is better for speed as slighty steeper descents but nothing too challenging. I say that as a boarder too and you know how we slouch.
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
Haven't mentioned seiseralm, kronplatz or Santa crocoe but they are probably too far from that side

Plenty to go at. You'll need at least 3 weeks just to get your head around the possibilities snowHead

Santa Croce is within reach for a day out IMHO, I agree the other 2 may be pushing it especially Kronplatz.

So much to do in the area, so little time Sad
latest report
FrequentFaller wrote:
How long does it take to do the circuit. I see a earlier post says it's possible to get round in a day if you are reasonably comportment on reds. However at a drinks party the other day I was speaking to a late middle aged woman who claimed it was something you could do in 2-3 hours. Is she a super good skier or full of it.

I did the orange route twice recently. About 2.5-3 hours on my own and all day with the family (wife & boys 5 & 8 ).

http://youtube.com/v/0Kqp9r0Xwt8

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 25-01-18 14:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@JoyZipper, Looks great, and what a competent little skier your five year old is.

Out there myself in 4 weeks....Cant wait.
snow report
JoyZipper has timings right in my experience. Even with queues and lunch, it's very do-able within 4 hours. I think I prefer green route (anticlockwise). eg Great long reds down Dantercepies to Selva, and Boe to Corvara. On the minus side there is a flat (but very pretty and short) section at Citta dei Sassi, and there are often queues at the Ciampinoi lift in Selva
ski holidays
FrequentFaller wrote:
@JoyZipper, Looks great, and what a competent little skier your five year old is.

Out there myself in 4 weeks....Cant wait.

Thanks for that - the many hours spent up on the dry slope at Hillend are now paying dividends !
latest report
FrequentFaller wrote:

I should also mention that if you're not too keen on black runs best to avoid the "alternitivo" route in the orange (clockwise) direction in Val Gardena as it includes two or three of them.
snow conditions
Skied from St Ulrich to Santa Croce and back today via Alta Badia. Excellent piste conditions everywhere.
latest report
FrequentFaller wrote:

If the conditions are good and you're a reasonably confident skier then 4 loops of the Sella Ronda are possible in a day! http://blog.holimites.com/en/skiing-sellaronda-in-one-day/
ski holidays
We did green route last week in three and a half hours
The orange took as four and a half but we had some detours and visibility was not as good.
I think we had one que of about five minutes near Selva
Started from Arabba
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy