Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone wear a belt?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Have just tried on my ski pants and it would appear I've lost a little off my waist line since they last had an outing Smile

To the point that even with the sides adjusted I'm in need of a belt to ensure they stay up and wondered if anyone has any recommendations on belts suitable for skiing either actual belts or outlets to try first?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Braces work well and are available at most ski shops. I think they're better than belts for this as the waist is relatively high, and layering is easier.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Izzop, do yur pants have belt loops? I am presuming they do...

Any old belt would do surely but as skiing is such an ego and fashion enriched pastime I would suggest you probably want a woven plastic fabric with an appropriate logo on the buckle and coloured to match or contrast as desired.

I have a blue one for a pair of orange pants. Can’t think where I got it. Almost certainly Chamonix.

Here you go https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/conveyor-belt
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use an old leather belt that I've had for years (bit like the rest of my kit till recently)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks both for replies.

@philwig, I might have a look at braces, but think I'd get on better with a belt.

@under a new name, Cheers, that looks spot on! Yes they have belt loops, they're actually a pair of these (Helly Hansen Mission Pants): -

You're right any old belt would do, but thought one made of a more suitable fabric/material would be better suited in a wetter & colder environment. I do recall one ski trip where a mate was borrowing my leather jeans belt daily to keep his up.

Thanks once again!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I always wear a belt. Go for it - if The Man gives you gyp, referto it a a tactical pant retaining system.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just use webbing style outdoor belts.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Properly adjusted braces are far less faff than a belt.

You can also do that thing where you go for Apres in your ski gear and look super cool by removing the braces from your shoulders so they hang by your knees.*

*Having one too many and tripping over your braces isn't cool though. Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Izzop, I've used a belt for years. A cheap one which has a couple of elasticated bits built into it. Flexes with skiing movement and +/- weight changes. snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Izzop, mine is in a pair of orange Helly H pants. The webbing indeed means water isn’t any issue, unlike leather.

Mine is very similar to this but not UA http://www.underarmour.co.uk/en-gb/ua-webbing-belt/1252132.html the friction buckle makes very easy to use.

I also have braces on those pants .... can’t be too careful.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thornyhill wrote:

You can also do that thing where you go for Apres in your ski gear and look super cool by removing the braces from your shoulders so they hang by your knees.*

*Having one too many and tripping over your braces isn't cool though. Laughing Laughing

You could go for both as I find the belt and braces approach always works well. Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, @geepee, Do you keep the keys for your own chastity belts? Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Izzop, another vote for webbing belt - non branded picked up in resort. Mines actually got standard buckle with holes/eyelets so not prone to slippage. Cost a round a tenner at Snowbird Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for braces.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I use a cheapo webbing style belt that came free with a pair of jeans... just to help keep my baggy snowboarder trousers on Very Happy
snow conditions
Got one of these, used it for years

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/152717649401

It's designed for attaching a gun to so it's pretty rigid and holds its shape very well, so you don't end up with sagging or stretching like you can with regular webbing belts
snow report
Thornyhill wrote:

l:

Absolutely no they aren't! If you wear a warm layer they're a pain because it means the warm layer has to be tucked into your pants (Americanism ) . If you wear them under the warm layer then they're a huge hassle if you need to drop off a friend to sea.

Belt every time.
snow report
Belt definitely,
Just grabbed one off a pair of outdoor branded trousers last season and the plastic snapped within a couple of days though Sad
ski holidays
I'd go for braces, then if one day the pants become tight again you can leave the braces hanging down on the outside and look cooooooooooooool dude Very Happy
ski holidays
I always forget a belt so nick the Mrs fabric belt. Depending on what she's wearing it might be a black one or it might be a pink one. Does the trick.
snow report
“You can leave the braces hanging down on the outside and look” ... like a dick
ski holidays
@under a new name, you must be over 30 wink
snow report
I have braces - they seem to work much better than a belt. I got mine in Switzerland and they have a motif of Swiss Crosses and edelweiss. Everyone thinks I'm a really cool Swiss mountain guide kinda guy when I take my fleece off at lunch. Or perhaps not.
snow report
I use a black canvas belt. I think I pinched it from my son but they are widely available online.
snow conditions
If braces worked better than belts we'd all be using them to keep our trousers up every day. We don't, ergo, belts are superior.
snow conditions
I use an Arc'teryx "conveyorbelt".
Webbing type but synthetic so won't absorb moisture.
Picked one up cheap on Sportpursuit.
ski holidays
Belt or braces, either is better than the crotch around your knees look rolling eyes
ski holidays
Those trousers have Velcro adjusters on the side. If they are at the max adjustment then simply get someone to stitch on another strip of Velcro to allow more adjustment. That is what I did. Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snickers elasticated belt for me as it flexes as you ski https://www.screwfix.com/p/snickers-ergonomic-elastic-belt-black/41207
ski holidays
@897sma, that would do the job.
ski holidays
Critically it MUST HAVE a beer bottle opener built into the back of the buckle!!!!

Try Flylow, all their belts do, I have several.

http://eur.flylowgear.com/
latest report
897sma wrote:
Snickers elasticated belt for me as it flexes as you ski https://www.screwfix.com/p/snickers-ergonomic-elastic-belt-black/41207

BUT does it have a beer bottle opener??

Maybe not, they don't like to encourage drinking on sites.
latest report
Belt or braces are fine. I've often found that the braces slip off my shoulders and descend towards my elbows as the salopettes also head South. A better answer would be to increase your pie intake.
snow report
I use a belt but every year but wish I had braces as my ski pants always slip down a bit and are a bit of a pain.
latest report
Just do it properly and get the excellent Norrona Lofoten pants. They cover every option with Velcro waist adjustment tabs, belt loops, press studs to link to your jacket, and a zip off bib giving braces. So you have 4 ways to stop your pants falling down.
latest report
@PowderAdict, yeah but you vomit every time you consider the colours...
ski holidays
I bought one of these but have lost more weight since so ended up buying new ski pants for this winter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002WGPMXU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21

Cheaper here.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Helly-Hansen-Workwear-34-079527-990-STD-Plastic/dp/B00EEWRSFU/ref=pd_sim_193_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=M0919ZWC4VT0T2RZ0B5B&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
Thanks once again for all the replies!

Never knew I'd get so many, nor did I realise the whole belt versus braces can of worms I'd open Very Happy
snow report
Izzop wrote:
Thanks once again for all the replies!

Never knew I'd get so many, nor did I realise the whole belt versus braces can of worms I'd open Very Happy

Come on everybody lets see if we can get this thread longer than the brexit thread, brace yourselves for a belting ride! Shocked
snow report
@Matrski, You are a bad person

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy