Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis flex - when are they done?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've acquired a pair of mid fats recently second hand at a cheapish price, they look fine. Unsure if base ground or not.

I notice however when they are placed sole to sole to fasten there appears little tension to push the skis apart, they happily rest against eachother along just about their entire length. In the good old days (80s) there would have been a fair gap in the middle with new skis when the tips and tails met. I'm guessing much of this has to do with modern shape/rocker (that I know little about) but question is - Is there any way of knowing that the ski flex may be 'inadequate' or not what it should be? I'm imagining this could happen if they had been base ground too many times or overskied by the larger athlete!

Any resource or testing methods or rules of thumb/old wives tales out there to confirm or otherwise? Ta
Laughing

p.s. ski is Nordica NRGY90.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Compare them against a newer pair of the same model. I don't think that base grinding will make any difference, just the number of times that a fat boy has bounced up and down on them.

I have some dead race skis, I only noticed when I skied them and a newer pair on back to back runs.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks

They're the 2016 model and have a rocker-camber-rocker shape per link-
www.skis.com/Nordica-NRGy-90-Skis/352742P,default,pd.html

Doubt I'll be able to compare against new so hoping they're ok.
Shocked
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Klammertime, Nice skis, unlikely to be dead after one season (if they'd been used that much, you probably wouldn't have bought them). Skis are not shaped how they used to be, and the old rules do not apply. Just ski them, they'll be fine Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's re-assuring thanks. Seller claims to have only used them a week and were serviced - general condition of tops/edges/soles would back that claim up so even if it was 2 or 3 weeks that'd be fine with me given what I paid.
Just don't want to get too carried away that I've got a good deal wink .
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Klammertime, as @Scarlet, said.

My skis, although different have very little camber (the bow in the middle) due to the nature of the ski.
Stick them on and enjoy! snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Your skis are done when there isn’t enough base left to hold a patch or edge to sharpen.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy