Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Northern Powderhouse 2017/18 (Raise, Yad Moss, Weardale and Allenheads)

Poster: A snowHead
These are the lift served real ski areas in the North Pennines and Lake District;

Raise, Helvellyn Massif, Lake District
http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/

Yad Moss, Alston Moor, North Pennines
http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/

Weardale, North Pennines
http://www.skiweardale.com/

Allenheads, North Pennines
http://ski-allenheads.co.uk/

Last year was a poor season but there was still 8 lift served days at Yad Moss and 20 at Raise. The first skiing in late November was excellent and was reported extensively including in the Times.

Season passes are now on sale at Raise and Yad Moss. A junior season pass (under 18 at Yad Moss is £10. At Raise it is free but juniors must be registered and accompanied by an adult skier.

Adult season passes are £60 at Raise and £55 at Yad Moss, although there is a £10 reduction on that for returning Members.

I’ll post some info and pictures below over the next month or so about pre season news. Is anyone able to comment about news from Allenheads, Weardale or perhaps the Lowther Hills ?
snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 26-09-17 21:51; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All the best for a great season.

And fingers crossed we all start sliding in November like last winter.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weardale passes now on sale to existing members, who have until the end of October (?? I think??) to renew at the discounted price (£10 reduction) of about £35.

After that it's open to new members.

We managed about 8 days at Weardale and Yad Moss last winter - a mix of lift served but mainly ski touring with the lifts closed. Some pretty marginal cover as PeterS has alluded to - but nevertheless always nice to be on proper snow only an hour from home.

Got up to Raise as well for a day last November, which realised an ambition of mine to ski at the Lakes. Mrs MA & I joined the club on the day - but then unfortunately didn't manage to get up there any more after that. Currently undecided on whether to renew....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Yad
Pylon 7 Yad Moss winter 2017
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Yad Moss November 2016
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.

Pylon 6 refurbishment underway summer 2017

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 26-09-17 21:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Pylon 6 now complete. Wheels, arm, ladder, access gantry dismantled, shotblasted and galvanised. Pylon shotblasted in-situ, primed and 6 topcoats applied. Wind generator and solar panels fixed back. Power supply to summit webcam re-connected.

Just P1 to complete now.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking forward to getting over to Yad moss etc this year. Having moved to Keswick earlier in the year I'm also hoping for coverage all over, already looking at possible routes Smile snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Extremophile,

Also check out the Lake District Ski Club facebook page for all their news. Plenty of very keen skiers up there and you can almost ski back to your house from their lift snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep, already there Smile will be keeping an eye on the season to see how things go.

Hopefully I'll be posting some pics from touring and winter hiking... already polished my ice axe, now need new crampons Toofy Grin

It's been a long time since we spent a winter in the UK, so really looking forward to this one... life isn't all alps snowHead or so I'm trying to teach the boyf anyway
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Eight inches of rain at Honnister Pass on Wednesday and pouring down again today in the upper Dales. The wet season has started here, .....whilst east of the Pennines its dry rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter S wrote:
Eight inches of rain at Honnister Pass on Wednesday and pouring down again today in the upper Dales. The wet season has started here, .....whilst east of the Pennines its dry rolling eyes

I seem to remember O-level geography dealt with the 'rain shadow' so at least that hasn't changed Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's been such a wet Summer here overall, apart from the odd day here and there it's been cloudy and raining since late July Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Refurbished Wheel assembly. Bearing is being greased before lifting onto the refurbished arm on P1. Yad Moss last Sunday.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The steel wheels & snow tyres are ready to go on, the weather forecast says wintry showers soon and I've just bought my 1st Yad Moss season ticket - so fingers crossed snowHead Hope to meet some if you up there.
snow report
Went for a hike today and from quite a way away we could see snow on Helvellyn, Scafell Pike and Great Gable snowHead

Spent the next hour talking about skiing Toofy Grin
snow conditions

First cover this morning
snow conditions
^^^^ Keep the snow coming Peter S!! Very Happy
snow conditions
snowHead I'll grab me boots...
Forecast for a tad more tomorrow. Cold enough, certainly - none on the North side yet, though.
snow report
20-30cm of snow forecast for Raise & the Pennines from next Friday (at Snow-forecast.com).

Rather tantalising - but a long way to go before then.... rolling eyes
snow report
^^^^Forecast now downgraded to no snow... Confused
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, which forecasts? Seems to me a decent amount could fall Friday night.
ski holidays
Forecast here Ricklovesthepowder: http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Yad-Moss/6day/top

Keeps changing though - now saying a few cm for Yad Moss at the weekend...
latest report
The storms that blew in over the last few days lashed the area with rain after the thick cloud kept the temps up, but today was a different story! Once the sun came up we could see snow on Blencathra and Skiddaw from our breakfast room, we had to head down to Penrith and on the way back we could clearly see how much snow had been dumped on the northern sides of Helvellyn etc.

There's a weather warning in place tonight for ice on the wet roads, so if there is any more rain in the night it will no doubt fall as snow on higher ground...
snow report
Seems very localised. Lucky Lakeland lot. Just N. of the Pennines it's only squelch, squelch and squelch Sad
Forecast for today made me expect that I'd be driving around in slush to snow, but it was just heavy rain in the morning.
latest report
it defo fell as snow, it's still dark here atm but I will post photos from our top floor room once the sun is up snowHead
snow report

Skiddaw this morning, the clouds have been clinging to the tops so not been able to get a good one when i was at Derwentwater this morning
snow conditions
Great shot
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^^^^ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Was wondering if a Lakeland ski tour could maybe be a goer for Sunday; or even if the tow could be on on Raise??

Have tried to view the Lakes Ski Club webcam - but can't get the website to work. It just brings up an error-type message about a 'loop' of some kind Puzzled
ski holidays
A year ago since the great Skiddaw avalanche in the centre of that picture:

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2016/11/24/lucky-lost-walkers-rescued-as-avalanches-hit-skiddaw

LDSC website currently down. Webcam pic posted to the Facebook group this morning but too thin at the moment. More showers falling since then but probably not skiable yet?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/raise_up_dated_pics/37725937425/in/dateposted/
latest report
Managed to get our Pennines 2017-18 season underway today with a few turns at Weardale Very Happy:

- Thin but fresh cover.
- Temp of 2C at car park.
- Bitter wind chill.
- Ground incredibly wet under the snow (skins kept gathering about 4" of snow on the ascent; turns were sticky & tricky on the descent).
- Nice to be out, as ever wink

snow report
@mountainaddict, good work !! Cool Thanks for pix Very Happy
snow report
Nice one mountainaddict.

Here’s a little vid by Gordie yesterday at Raise.

http://youtube.com/v/7B2PKO4uVlU&feature=em-subs_digest
ski holidays
Well played both
snow conditions
^^^^ especially Gordie's crew Very Happy - our 40 minute skin up at Weardale pales into insignificance vs the effort of getting up to the Raise ski area Embarassed....

Mind, looking at the epic conditions, I'm just surprised they weren't running the lift wink!!
snow report
Weardale Ski Club members have had a late evening email to say that they are planning to open tomorrow Very Happy.

However...the cover on the cams looks very similar to that we encountered on our ski tour up there last Sunday - ie very tricky Confused.

The BBC weather map shows snow possible tonight - so we'll await tomorrow's ski report with interest; and with a view to possibly popping up on Saturday morning wink....
latest report
Report on the weardale site says they had a good day.
Just deciding whether to open Yad moss tomorrow or not.
snow report
snowy Sunday on the cards perhaps?? Skiing Monday Smile
snow report
Looks like the depression may be slipping too far south on Sunday to give the North Pennines a good cover. We'll see. Sad
ski holidays
@Peter S, it's pushing up from the South/West isn't it? The models keep changing their mind on how far "up" it will push
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy