Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where should I go in Europe this year?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at flight prices, and it seems like I can get to Munich, Frankfurt and Madrid/Barcelona somewhat cheaply. I have been to St Anton, Tigne,Zermatt, Chamonix, Jungfrau areas in the past. Based on those airports, anything stand out in terms of a new place to try? Was thinking Ischgl or Kitzbuhl from Munich. Intrigued with Spain (a few days in Barcelona doesn't suck) but know nothing about the spanish resorts. The family are good skieer, with one intermediate. Off piste for a day or 2 would be fun. Nightlife not that important. Oh, an apartment rental (rather than hotel) would be great, as I think some places are more apartment driven than others.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ischgl is fantastic as a ski area, big snowsure mountain with something for everyone to do. In terms of piste skiing it's probably superior to st anton itself, and whilst it doesn't get as much snow the off piste is great and way less busy! The nightlife can get pretty boisterous but it's easy to avoid the craziest bits if it doesn't float your boat.

If you don't mind driving a little whilst you're there, consider Mayrhofen or Solden/Obergurgl as bases for skiing the Zillertal and Otztal valleys respectively.

From Mayrhofen you can get to 4 varied ski areas adding up to about 600 km piste, good variety. Particular stand outs include arguably austria's most entertaining glacier ski area at Hintertux and one of the steepest pistes in the alps on the main Penken area above the village.

Solden and Obergurgl offer snowsure areas of very long cruisy pistes (with a few steeper exceptions), and large areas of less frequently travelled off piste in a similar vein to ischgl. Views from the top of Solden towards the Wildspitze and from the top of Obergurgl towards the Dolomites are pretty spectacular if thats a consideration!

Munich is a good launchpad for loads of places so others may chime in with something completely different before too long
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ischgl is fantastic as a ski area, big snowsure mountain with something for everyone to do. In terms of piste skiing it's probably superior to st anton itself, and whilst it doesn't get as much snow the off piste is great and way less busy! The nightlife can get pretty boisterous but it's easy to avoid the craziest bits if it doesn't float your boat.

If you don't mind driving a little whilst you're there, consider Mayrhofen or Solden/Obergurgl as bases for skiing the Zillertal and Otztal valleys respectively.

From Mayrhofen you can get to 4 varied ski areas adding up to about 600 km piste. Particular stand outs include arguably austria's most entertaining glacier ski area at Hintertux, and a tick box in the form of one of the steepest pistes in the alps on the main Penken area above the village.

Solden and Obergurgl offer snowsure areas of very long cruisy pistes (with a few steeper exceptions), and large areas of less frequently travelled off piste in a similar vein to ischgl. Views from the top of Solden towards the Wildspitze and from the top of Obergurgl towards the Dolomites are pretty spectacular if thats a consideration!

Munich is a good launchpad for loads of places so others may chime in with something completely different before too long
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Follow the snow.......
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Follow the snow.......

Love that idea, as I have been the bringer of sun and lousy conditions to everyplace I have visited in the Alps over the past few years. Coming from the states makes that premise more challenging, plus our school vaca weeks is the same as much of the 1/2 terms in UK and France. There already seems to be limited lodging during our week, with plenty of insanely stupidly priced places to choose from. For week of Feb 17th can I afford to wait?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Redwine, dates?

How about Monterosa?

We have 16-23 Dec or 17-24 Mar avail in a nice apartment in Champoluc f’rinstance
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Probably wouldn't choose Frankfurt as the hub, unless it was a massive saving over Munich. It's a good 6-7 hour drive each way to most of the decent resorts (although some Swiss ones like Engelberg are closer to 4 hours).

My choices would be Zillertal, Saalbach, Sölden, or somewhere in the Ski Amade area. Or the Dolomites.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Of the places I've been, From Munich, I'd be tempted by Kitzbuhel at that time of year. Great intermediate cruising plus some more challenging options. There are cheaper satellite towns, some connected by piste others by bus.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Redwine, if you haven't seen the thread here are the European school holidays:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3005024&highlight=school#3005024

From Munich we went to Hochzillertal last year, which was lovely:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3030351&highlight=zillertal#3030351
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Redwine, none of those airports are particularly transfer friendly, Munich more than the others.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ischgl has great skiing and some brash nightlife.

You can enjoy the skiing and skip the nightlife.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You'd probably enjoy Mayrhofen, Kitzbuhel, Soelden or Ischgl in Austria. All big and varied, with some good apres ski too.

You mentioned possibly flying to Barcelona. The country of Andorra and it's 3 or 4 ski areas is a good bet from there - decent snow record and some pretty decent ski areas with good lift systems. About 2.5 - 3hrs drive from Barcelona.

A few years back we had a great week in the resort of Soldeu. We flew into Barcelona, had a car and skied the Andorran resorts of Soldeu/Pas De La Casa (which are part of a big linked area - Grand Valira); Arinsal/Pal (linked); & the challenging area of Arcalis; plus the nearby French area of Porte De Puymorens.

We then finished the trip off with a day at La Masella in Spain on the way back to Barcelona.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Themasterpiece wrote:
@Redwine, if you haven't seen the thread here are the European school holidays:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3005024&highlight=school#3005024

Bear in mind half-term (10-17th Feb 2018) coincides with Fasching & Carnevale this season, it's going to be an extra busy week in many European resorts.

Also Bavaria school hols that week which might make you think twice about the Munich options.

Italian resorts will likely be busier over the long weekend 10th-13th Feb.

Some Swiss and all of Denmark & Belgium have school hols too, perhaps not a huge impact, but they do have some favoured resorts.

Andorra will be busy with British kids, so that may not be a great option.

I think you need to look for a larger area that can cope with the crowds or a smaller area that doesn't have local kids on school holidays.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict wrote:
You'd probably enjoy Mayrhofen, Kitzbuhel, Soelden or Ischgl in Austria. All big and varied, with some good apres ski too.

You mentioned possibly flying to Barcelona. The country of Andorra and it's 3 or 4 ski areas is a good bet from there - decent snow record and some pretty decent ski areas with good lift systems. About 2.5 - 3hrs drive from Barcelona.

A few years back we had a great week in the resort of Soldeu. We flew into Barcelona, had a car and skied the Andorran resorts of Soldeu/Pas De La Casa (which are part of a big linked area - Grand Valira); Arinsal/Pal (linked); & the challenging area of Arcalis; plus the nearby French area of Porte De Puymorens.

We then finished the trip off with a day at La Masella in Spain on the way back to Barcelona.

The bus might not be as flexible as having a car, but it sure beats driving.

You can get the AndBus (www.andorrabybus.com) straight from Barcelona El Prat terminals. It will drop you in front of your hotel. This leaves you with the challenge of deciding which hotel closest to which resort.

For Pal-Arinsal, best is to stay in Arinsal or La Massana.

For Grandvalira you many options as nearly every town from Encamp through to Pas de la Casa will have access via a lift. So it is really up to you to decide on yrou budget. in Encamp there is the the free Funibus which takes you do the gondola.

Of course you can get around to all ski resorts in Andorra by bus, so even if you decide on one area, you can make it to the others by local bus.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the good info snowheads. I think our school vacation is always the worst time to try and find lodging given it seems to always coincide with UK and French holidays. Seems super expensive already, but many good ideas here, so I will keep hunting.
snow report
@Redwine,
Fly to Munich,
Ski almost anywhere in Austria. If I were you I'd go to Kitzbuel, its an enormous area now.

Plenty of varied skiing, and good and varied apres ski.

This would make best use out of your time.

You've done Stanton I see.
snow report
Mayrhofen or kitzbuhel!! 👍
ski holidays
@Redwine, Cervinia, Davos/ Klosters, Ischgl/ Samnaun, Kitzbuhel or Saalbach Hinterglemm?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 29-09-17 10:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Redwine wrote:
Looking at flight prices, and it seems like I can get to Munich, Frankfurt and Madrid/Barcelona somewhat cheaply. I have been to St Anton, Tigne,Zermatt, Chamonix, Jungfrau areas in the past. Based on those airports, anything stand out in terms of a new place to try? Was thinking Ischgl or Kitzbuhl from Munich. Intrigued with Spain (a few days in Barcelona doesn't suck) but know nothing about the spanish resorts. The family are good skieer, with one intermediate. Off piste for a day or 2 would be fun. Nightlife not that important. Oh, an apartment rental (rather than hotel) would be great, as I think some places are more apartment driven than others.

This has been on my radar for a while. Haven't been, but heard only good

Kleinwalsertal

https://www.kleinwalsertal.com/en/holiday-worlds/activities/skiing/skiing-region
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy