Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will it fit?

Poster: A snowHead
In the boot of the car?

I'm trying to work out if a standard sized snowboard bag , 175 cm long, will fit in a family hatchback with rear seats folded down and 2 people upfront. Any experience?

I'm considering a change of car, I've got no issues getting the board bag into my current saloon, but don't know if I need to avoid looking at hatchbacks and stick to saloons and estates? Before you ask, I don't fancy roof mounting Very Happy

Cheers, Robin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Like a Focus? Should be no problem, doddle if you mean Mondeo size. Mind you I'd always say go for the estate version of any hatch as the space is just way more versatile.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Robin Agogo, why not just take a tape measure when you go looking?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Robin Agogo, why not just take a tape measure when you go looking?

Easy answer to that.. I'm a lazy sod! Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, yes, its the Focus- Astra- Golf sized ones I'm not sure about..they just don't look long enough.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Carbuyer and other websites usually have pretty detailed specs on load space. Best tip to save time is to go to a local car supermarket and try and snoop all the makes at once - there can be differences in layout and size among supposedly similar sized cars.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 22-09-17 14:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have not trouble with fitting in skis (longer than that) with just 1/3 seat down in our Seat Toledo if that helps. That is with both our kids in the remaining 2/3 seat (though they complain bitterly about being so close to each other!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I get my 176 skis in a ski bag into an Audi A1. I've also fitted my sons 179 skis at the same time. It is the sportback 5 door model, so slightly bigger than a 3 door model, but no problems. I'm sure it's smaller than a focus/golf.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Robin Agogo, Got mine in my Honda Civic with some room, so don't see why not. If you google the dimensions you'll then be able to compare it across other car rangers.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can get a board and skis in on the diagonal without breaking a sweat but you can get a boardbag into our Focus without dropping the rear seats (which we have to as they're normally occupied by 2 kids.

Get something reasonably solid, like a wooden batten or a golf umbrella or something and cable tie it between the 2 front seat headrests, you can then pass the boardbag through the centre gap and rest it on the batten/umbrella and the parcel shelf. bungee cord to lock it off and you're golden. Tried it with just bungees between the headrests before but it sags too much and gets annoying.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Richard_Sideways, do you have any photos of this McGyver arrangement you could share for everyone's amusement? Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NickyJ wrote:
I have not trouble with fitting in skis (longer than that) with just 1/3 seat down in our Seat Toledo if that helps. That is with both our kids in the remaining 2/3 seat (though they complain bitterly about being so close to each other!

If I read this right, the Toledo is a 3 box shape, so a bit longer in the back?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers @Dzmarc, @geepee, so it's possible, though how @geepee can fit skis into a tiny Audi A1 is beyond me!?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Robin Agogo wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

Correct 3 box shape but hatchback opening. It is a small wheel base car with an amazing package.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Robin Agogo wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

However the reference to 1/3 & 2/3 is with respect to the rear seat having a two thirds split allowing you to have to seats in the rear and put the third seat down for longer objects (otherwise known as our skis Happy)
latest report
A friend has got 8 pairs of race skis in a Fiat 500, half were GS ones in female lengths (~180cm).
snow report
rjs wrote:
A friend has got 8 pairs of race skis in a Fiat 500, half were GS ones in female lengths (~180cm).

Fair play to them Smile but would want to do that?
latest report
@Robin Agogo, you can always try the old hillbilly trick of putting the gear sideways through the rear windows then rolling the windows up to clamp in place... *

*this is not recommended by anyone.
snow conditions
Alternative option, borrow a pram from somewhere, and stick them out of the back window. a.l.a DIY trailer?
snow report
Dunno how a Focus compares, but in my Leon (so a Golf, etc. should be much the same), I put skis diagonally with 1/3rd of rear seat down.
With 3 people, I put the 2/3rd bit down and skis go right down the middle, with the longer ones >175cm (ish) poking thru between front seats a bit.
With 3 plus skis and 1 coffin bag with a snowboard (and all the other luggage), we had to take board out, fold coffin in half to make it fit more like a suitcase, then sit board on top of everything.
With 2 plus kit, I imagine a 175cm coffin bag would fit, but might need to take boards out if it's 2 coffin bags.
ski holidays
I can get 3 pairs of 185-190cm fat skis through the ski hatch of the non-folding rear seat of my Impreza saloon. The tips do rest on the central arm rest, but don't obstruct gear changes.
ski holidays
Laughing used to fit a 2.3m kayak in passenger side of a corsa and sleep in the reclined driver seat 6'3" Laughing
ski holidays
Problem with ski hatches in cars is that they're rarely wide or tall enough to accommodate a snowboard - we found this when we were looking at a car to to the Alps run in earlier in the year as we'd prefer a car with the 40/20/40 split fold seats over a roofbox, plus the Focus isn't getting any younger. Boiled down to very few models which fit our wants in the end, basically the Seat Altea and the BMW 200 Active Tourer.
latest report
@Robin Agogo, 175, no prob, if you have to you can stick the nose between the front seats, it won't stick out far enough to impede gear shifting. Used to put mine into a Fiat Siecento
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Like a Focus? Should be no problem, doddle if you mean Mondeo size. Mind you I'd always say go for the estate version of any hatch as the space is just way more versatile.

Listen to Dave. We have a Golf estate which, being a Golf, is smaller to park than a proper big estate car, but still has a whopping amount of space in the back. Not sure if you could get a snowboard in without putting the seats down – skis go in down one side, max 4 pax – take a tape measure as suggested.
snow conditions
My board bag fits ok in my parents golf... With it on an angle and the passenger seat a few clicks forward of the rearmost setting it even gets in my peugeot 106 ok and that's a pretty small car.

Based on the above I'd imagine It shouldn't be a problem for any but the tiniest hatchbacks.
latest report
Double ski bag with 2 sets of skis (175 long) plus other kit fits down the middle of my polo, with one seat still up in the back. Handbrake was a bit obstructed, but gear change fine.
I reckon most "family" hatchbacks would be fine.
snow conditions
Cheers everyone, the consensus is: Drum-roll please... hatchbacks are "fine", estates are a breeze. Well done Snowheads Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Robin Agogo, I got two sets of skis and 3 people in a Renault Twingo. At worst you'll have to take the kit out the bag.

It's also held 2 mountain bikes/2 people/enough kit for a long weekend mountain biking and watching motorsport (I took a photo of it, should be somewhere on my FB). And tonight I'm going to find out how it fairs as a camper van! You can do a lot more with small cars than people realise, and when you own one you become awesome at packing Very Happy
latest report
Can the yoof of today not use a tape measure rolling eyes
snow conditions
My bag full of kit goes into the focus diagonally, it's tight but fits. To get it in a BMW that hasn't got folding rear seats the bag goes diagonally from a head rest in the back to a foot well so can always be done like that but but a big car, they are worth it for practicalities.
snow conditions
Robin Agogo wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, yes, its the Focus- Astra- Golf sized ones I'm not sure about..they just don't look long enough.

Used to get my 194 powder skis in my ex's Astra (plus her skis) no issue. Haven't gone skiing in a Golf but can fit a few pairs of 197+cm kayak paddles inside without problems.
latest report
@Robin Agogo, Yep I get a 2m ski bag in any car i hire from the airport including golfs (and much smaller than that)
latest report
@spyderjon, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
With the "Smart" hire cars, I usually have to take the board out of the bag. After insisting to the hire car person that it'll be fine, which of course it is.
snow report
Robin Agogo wrote:

i have a 13 plate focus hatch back and it takes my ellis brigham team roller bag 195cm with inly one back sear down and the passenger front seat with plenty of legroom.

Also PaulC and me hired the focus estate last year for the BB. two seats folded down and room for two bags fill to the brim, my our avi bags, and two big cases. Also, so much room that PaulC could even get his makeup bag in as well. Happy
snow conditions
I though this was going to be a thread on Lukaku. hat coat..... wink
snow conditions
The other message I'm getting from this is that Snowheads do anything to fit their kit into the tiniest of cars if it means they can go skiing! 😀
snow report
@Robin Agogo, Absolutely correct. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
...trouble is, every time I try and fit my bag into my Polo, I break a bit of the car, or a bit of me. Confused
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy