Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lech or Courchevel

Poster: A snowHead
Langerzug wrote:
Lech has all the charm (and more) that Courchevel is lacking. Lech is old money, still understated. Courchevel is new money, often coming from the East...
The new Flexenbahn is a bit problematic for the masses coming from St.Anton, but completely easy and fast(er) and anticyclic when coming from Lech.
But your wife will not appreciate St.Anton. Think Verbier...
Apart from that, St.Anton has the name, but Lech has at least equal challenging terrain off piste, but with endless lovely gentle pistes in between. And some great groomed steep tours like Langerzug... Very Happy
Already looking at accomodation? Will gladly advise!

Pretty perfect advice here. Lech is just so classy and laid back. Courchevel is very new money. The only advantage Courchevel has is links by the 3v to Val Thorens which, due to its altitude, offers almost uniquely, great snow, at all levels, all day long, for most of the winter.

I found being in Lech like being in the Sound of Music. Courchevel is a bit more like being in a James Bond film. Lots of planes, helicopters and Russians.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@cameronphillips2000,
Quote:

I found being in Lech like being in the Sound of Music. Courchevel is a bit more like being in a James Bond film. Lots of planes, helicopters and Russians.

Very well put. Personally I prefer James Bond to The Sound of Music and find some of the more faux-twee aspects of the swankier parts of Austria hard to stomach. I spent Christmas in Lech once - it was the equivalent of eating too many fancy chocolates. But it's a lovely area to ski, for sure.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Princess Diana v Viktoria Beckham
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hurtle, surely there is no such thing as too many fancy chocolates?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27 wrote:
Very Happy Toofy Grin Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A little surprised that nobody has mentioned another plus for Lech... Warth-Schröcken. The Auenfeldjet connects Lech to it.

A very laid-back ski area, with many cruisey pistes, and lots of easily accessible side-piste action, much of it north-facing.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 25-09-17 22:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Langerzug wrote:
Lech has all the charm (and more) that Courchevel is lacking. Lech is old money, still understated. Courchevel is new money, often coming from the East...
The new Flexenbahn is a bit problematic for the masses coming from St.Anton, but completely easy and fast(er) and anticyclic when coming from Lech.
But your wife will not appreciate St.Anton. Think Verbier...
Apart from that, St.Anton has the name, but Lech has at least equal challenging terrain off piste, but with endless lovely gentle pistes in between. And some great groomed steep tours like Langerzug... Very Happy
Already looking at accomodation? Will gladly advise!

Pretty perfect advice here. Lech is just so classy and laid back. Courchevel is very new money. The only advantage Courchevel has is links by the 3v to Val Thorens which, due to its altitude, offers almost uniquely, great snow, at all levels, all day long, for most of the winter.

Thank you. And yours is quite accurate too Toofy Grin

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 25-09-17 22:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27 wrote:
Brilliant.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ulmerhutte, shhhh, don't let everyone know about Warth.....its actually really low, poor snow and not worth going over wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Markymark29, I felt sorry for them. Struggling for all the reasons you mentioned.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ulmerhutte wrote:
A little surprised that nobody has mentioned another plus for Lech... Warth-Schröcken. The Auenfeldjet connects Lech to it.

A very laid-back ski area, with many cruisey pistes, and lots of easily accessible side-piste action, much of it north-facing.
think I mentioned it at the start! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Both areas have enormous scope don't they - a vast range...

Last time I was in the 3V a couple of years ago (Viktoria and I sneaked over for a cheeky little mini-break while David was filming his pants adverts) I was struck by how much the 4th Vallee has added - over the back of Val Horrens and down to a little lift station on sunny, fast reds runs before getting a dramatic chair steeply back up almost through the cliff face... and then you can be right over the other side in 1650 or La Tania in the trees, quiet pistes and even the odd poma which I enjoy more than a grown/groan man should.

I was in Lech last year and Mein Gott it's almost daunting there now and I speak as a dedicated piste-basher with (too) many miles on the clock... Of course the Arlberg was always a vast area but the lift links to Warth and to stanton have made such a huge difference - especially to those of us with bus allergies.

Wonderful thread - pontificating / daydreaming about degrees of perfection and the joys of the season to come snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another thing worth mentioning is that Lech doesn't do exertion so there aren't steps up to the cable cars - you get a lift or an escalator. Think Rolls Royce rather than Lamborghini.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't forget the heated seats on some of the chairs in Lech!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Incredible that anybody bothers going to Courchevel. Must all have more money than sense.

wink
snow report
Whenever I look for an accomodation AT is the most expensive compared to CH, IT and FR 🤔 I am good at researching all accommodation options but AT always the most expensive. Pistes and infra are good in all, oldest possibly in CH and followed by IT and then AT and FR are leading the pack?
snow conditions
mooney058 wrote:
Whenever I look for an accomodation AT is the most expensive compared to CH, IT and FR 🤔 I am good at researching all accommodation options but AT always the most expensive. Pistes and infra are good in all, oldest possibly in CH and followed by IT and then AT and FR are leading the pack?

I find that very hard to believe. It is of course very difficult to compare exactly like for like but Switzerland is in a league of it's own for cost of pretty much everything, particularly given the recent strength of the CHF. I would have a pecking order for all round cost of skiing holidays as CH-FR-AT-IT across the four main countries.
ski holidays
mooney058 wrote:

That's interesting, though surprising.

I can imagine that France will have more really cheap accomm. as Austria doesn't really go in for tiny apartments/huge blocks in the same way. I would have thought equivalent accommodation would be cheaper in much of Austria (though probably not Lech!)? It's not something I've ever really looked into.
latest report
There are no tiny apartments & huge blocks in Lech. What are you thinking of for even suggesting such a thing?
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
There are no tiny apartments & huge blocks in Lech. What are you thinking of for even suggesting such a thing?

I never stayed in a huge accommodation bloc! My missus would kill me! My first hand experience in AT is rather limited (Ischgl and Alpbach). I am researching Warth and 3200-6500 for accommodation for 3 persons is rather steep during not peak week ... The best I could find (granted not looking at outskirts) is EUR 1900 in a self-catered apartment ... Well, will keep on looking.
snow report
@Langerzug, I've skied Lech a few times but never the Langerzug. Never been totally clear on whether or not that route is actually a piste or an itinerary. If it's marked as open then is it okay to assume it's been deemed safe from an avalanche point of view and safe to ski alone without avi kit?
snow report
@Langerzug, yes, accommodation advice would be appreciated here too Smile
snow conditions
mooney058. Have you tried the Lech tourist office? They do have a lot of properties and they are not all at the top end of the cost scale. There are four hotels in Lech run by UK ski TO's. Three with ski Total. Sonnenkopf, not recommended, out of town and a bit of a dump. The Montfort, right beside the nursery slope and the Elizabeth. Both very nice and well located. VIP ski have also been running the Theodul for a couple of seasons. Also very nice and well located. All these offer EXCELLENT value on a half board basis including wine with the evening meal. In terms of Lech you could even call them CHEAP!
latest report
@Valkyrie, the Lanzerzug is a lovely marked run. Nice and steep at the beginning and then really fast and long with a final glide to the chairlift. One of the best in the arlberg.
snow report
@PTspeak,

Lech is a better option from Zurich for travel and is an awesome resort, It will suit both your needs. It is stunning and has a great feel about the resort.. Apres ski can be what you want it to be.. Good food & access!!

Courcheval is a must for anyone to visit.. Maybe not this time if Zurich is booked but the 3V as a whole are incredible and one holiday to tick off on the list. I would personally pick La Tania to stay as Courcheval one side and Méribel the other. Courcheval has great runs and vibe.

Both are 'for Show resorts' but they are both fantastic resorts..

I see you mentioned that you've visited Zermatt and Verbier, These are both brilliant resorts & places to stay. They also set that stick very high...

Either way Lech & Courcheval offer many ➕ signs and that either are a great option for Winter Destinations "have fun"

snowHead
latest report
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
Sonnenkopf, not recommended, out of town and a bit of a dump.

Can't say Wald (which I assume is what you mean as Sonnenkopf's 'village') or Klösterle have ever struck me as being anything like a dump (though obviously very quiet)! Great skiing at Sonnenkopf too. Arguably some of the best in the whole Arlberg...
snow report
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
mooney058. Have you tried the Lech tourist office? They do have a lot of properties and they are not all at the top end of the cost scale. There are four hotels in Lech run by UK ski TO's. Three with ski Total. Sonnenkopf, not recommended, out of town and a bit of a dump. The Montfort, right beside the nursery slope and the Elizabeth. Both very nice and well located. VIP ski have also been running the Theodul for a couple of seasons. Also very nice and well located. All these offer EXCELLENT value on a half board basis including wine with the evening meal. In terms of Lech you could even call them CHEAP!

Thanks for talking sense to me! How could I forget this after given the same type of advice numerous times myself to others ... my brain must be melting ... Huber Haus booked and it is at the feet of 5he new gondola that is supposed to be opened this December. Thank you very much!
latest report
@mooney058,....new gondola... sounds like Warth, not Lech! Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PremsUltim8, Courcheval? Please!
snow report
Langerzug wrote:
@mooney058,....new gondola... sounds like Warth, not Lech! Puzzled

Yes, I was looking for accomodation in Warth Smile
ski holidays
@clarky999, @Old Man Of Lech, Hotel Sonneck, not Sonnenkopf, in Lech-Stubenbach.
latest report
@mooney058, I don't know Warth Toofy Grin
latest report
@Valkyrie, Langerzug is an itinerary that's groomed 95% of the time. Status is indicated at valley and top station of Rüfikopfbahn. No avi necessary.
There is another route going down that way, "Tannegg", which is never groomed, but marked, secured, and really tough
snow conditions
Sorry. Of course I meant SONNECK was a dump, not Sonnenkopf, which is a very good small ski area. Brian fart!!!. lol
snow conditions
@mooney058, No cheap accom in Warth unless you go self catering appartments, some nice ones around at Salober, not downtown Warth! Cheaper in Lech, we're staying in Lech next season rather than Warth next season for that very reason.
snow report
I noticed that on-slope food prices in Warth/Schröcken, eg at Hochalpe, have crept up to Lech-levels. To be expected, I guess.
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, common opinion for years is that food on piste in Lech has always been very surprisingly reasonable and comparable to other Austrian resorts....
snow conditions
@ulmerhutte, Salober restaurant is very reasonable and excellent quality, as is Punschutte
ski holidays
We will never eat at Tritt Alpe again after last season, called in there for lunch last season - lousy service and over-priced.
snow report
@Langerzug, James bond what an analogy!!! WAK...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy