Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes 2017/18 inc useful links

Poster: A snowHead
Ok as September has been unseasonably cold it seems a good time to start a new thread for the coming winter. Resort opens 21st October to 1st November (update, Toussaint skiing cancelled due to poor conditione on glacier Sad ) for Toussaint and on 2nd December for the winter season.

Links
http://www.meteoexploration.com/forecasts/Les-Deux-Alpes/?lang=en - Forecast
http://www.les2alpes.com/en/ - Official Site
http://www.2alpesnet.com/ - Alternative Site
http://www.bensbus.co.uk/ski-transfer/grenoble-airport-les-deux-alpes-transfers/ - Transfers from Grenoble Airport
http://www.2alpesnet.com/buses - Lyon and Geneva to Grenoble shuttles and local buses to resort

If you want British instruction there are several options -
- Easiski (Charlotte) has been here a long time and has many SH fans
- Tip top ski coaching, Alex Chapman who's a SH has gone on her own this winter after working for ESS and under this banner for summer skiing.
- European Ski School have Ian Huyton who has been there several years and Craig Nelder who has arrived to teach snowboarding, I've met him, nice guy. Lawrence and Simon Edwards, owner Jeremy's sons run it now and are Brits/Italian. Also one Belgian and many Italians who all speak excellent English
- all other schools, ESF, ESI and Firstrax, have other English speaking French and Italian instructors. Some I know personally are very fluent.

There is a free offpiste awareness course here every Tuesday. Theory followed by practise in the ARVA Park followed by a session with a guide skiing offpiste and digging snow holes, etc. Details (in french, cant find it in English atm), register at Tourist Office http://www.les2alpes.com/fr/glisse/la-freeride-attitude.html

If you decide you want to buy boots in resort Cedric at Jacques Sports is highly recommended. He did mine the winter before last and did a grand job.

For those interested English Football is shown in the Red Frog (open all day) and the Secret Bar (although not open all day so prob not lunchtime kick offs), Polar Bear has many games now too. Smokey Joes shows most sporting events also and is usually open during the day.

I'm doing some limited B&B at my place this Winter. Most suited to solo skiers. PM me if interested.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 29-01-19 19:45; edited 9 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We've actually had 20 minutes of light snow in resort today. First since the spring, I just walked to La Poste (it was closed) and it's very cold. Lots of cloud higher up so I expect there is some snow falling on top of some recent heavy falls at altitude. All good foŕ Toussaint.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Muzelle looking majestic this morning. The glacier looks a bit healthier now 😁

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Smokey Joes show most sporting events also and is usually open during the day.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@howiet, cheers I'll add that above 😁
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi
It will be our fist visit in Les deux Alpes (we are all skiers). What are the childcare (4 year skiing lesson morning childcare needed in the afternoon so parent can shred )opportunities there, anyone has any experience?
I would like to lean some basic park, suggestions? many thanks
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some interesting stuff in this article detailing new developments this winter.

https://www.2alpesnet.com/news/what-s-new-in-les-deux-alpes-winter-2017-18-2-alpes-711343

@kedsky, Crystal, Neilson, Inghams, etc certainly do you see them with their gaggles in the afternoons. The official resort site also details these (in french)

http://www.les2alpes.com/fr/structures-accueil.html

European Ski School or Firsttrax might be a good bet for park lessons. A 2 hour private lesson with ESS is very reasonable.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Claude B wrote:
Some interesting stuff in this article detailing new developments this winter.

https://www.2alpesnet.com/news/what-s-new-in-les-deux-alpes-winter-2017-18-2-alpes-711343

This sounds handy :-

"This year there are more regular weekday flights into and out of Grenoble Airport. There will be flight services every week of the season on Mondays (easyJet Gatwick), Tuesdays (Ryanair Stansted) and Fridays (easyJet Gatwick). "

All from the south though which is not quite so handy for us unfortunately. Ryanair one obviously depends on if they have any drivers left rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@skitow, Long time since there were flights other than at weekends. I wonder if Bensbus will meet them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Claude B, I think there's also BA flights from Heathrow to Grenoble next winter.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Claude B, Yes, according to your link Toofy Grin

"Ben's Bus will have a service connecting all those flights to Les Deux Alpes. "
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skitow, Yes I just tried a booking and it worked 😊
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells wrote:
@Claude B, I think there's also BA flights from Heathrow to Grenoble next winter.

Yes, looks like there is according to the BA website. Gatwick too if I am reading it right :-

"Fly to Grenoble-Isėre Airport (GNB) from London Gatwick (LGW) and London Heathrow in just 1 hour 45 minutes and embrace the snow-capped French Alps on unforgettable ski holidays. Selected by British Airways as a winter-only route – you could be on the slopes of Tignes Val Claret or Chamonix before you know it. Check-in online, on your mobile or at the airport for the ultimate convenience."

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/destinations/grenoble/flights-to-grenoble

All great but I just fear the consequences for "passenger handling" at Grenoble......
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Claude B,

OK all that should be good for me as I am trying to get back into renting out this winter, no kids in school etc. By the way what is that little square thing that keeps appearing after your posts, or is it my computer ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skitow, Dunno unless it's an emoticon 😁😁😁😁😁😁
ski holidays
Quote:

All great but I just fear the consequences for "passenger handling" at Grenoble

Probably be fine during the week, awful as ever on Saturday.
snow report
Claude B wrote:
@skitow, Dunno unless it's an emoticon 😁😁😁😁😁😁

If that is 6 emoticons, like this Very Happy Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Smile Madeye-Smiley Skullie Sad then yes, but yours, and yours only, are appearing as little squares, like this 😁
snow conditions
@skitow, your 😁 appears as an emoticon on my phone 😁
snow report
This has appeared on FB. Interesting video, in French, from 1965. Trying to identify my building. It was built in 1963.

http://youtube.com/v/_DldQIRBUQs
latest report
Hello!
First post on SH...
Am planning on coming out to les2alpes on 31st March - 7th April. Looking for a reasonably priced Sc chalet/ large apartment for 6 adults and 8 kids. Any ideas?
Have seen somewhere in Mont de Lans- presumably won’t be able to ski down there at that time of year. Does the chairlift go back down as well as up? Is it a nightmare to get to?
If anyone has any suggestions as to where else I can look that would be fab! Thank you
snow conditions
@Snowysarah, welcome to Snowheads 😁

Firstly, are you sure it is in Mont de Lans? Addresses here are often Mont de Lans or Venosc even though they are in resort. If it is yes lift can be used for both up and down. It won't be open very late though. It's only 5 to 10 minutes drive down there from resort. The run was hardly if ever open last winter. Hopefully better this year.

14 is big. Try easiski.com and Sarah Wilson (I'll dig out her website) or the Tourist Office site.
snow conditions
Just spoken to Sarah biggest she has is 12 and she manages a lot of apartments.
snow report
Yes it is in Mont de lans and have found another one in the village of Venosc- so a gondola away.
I personally don’t mind the slight hassle to get to the slopes, but our friends do.
Thank you for your reply. I will look up easiski now
ski holidays
Would she squeeze a couple of kids who would happily sleep on blow up beds that we can bring?
ski holidays
@Snowysarah, Have you looked on Air B&B there are some big ones on there.

I can ask her if you want? Doubt Charlotte will have anything that big tbh.
snow report
@ClaudeB thanks for your help!
I have found somewhere in the village of Venosc- so we would access the resort via the gondola.
How far is it to walk from the top of the gondola to the main ski school meeting places?
ski holidays
@Snowysarah, If your lessons are first thing in the morning it's 15 mins or so in boots. There is a ski bus going around the resort too which you could catch. If your lessons are a little later you can get on a drag nearer Venosc to get higher to ski across. Some of the shops in the middle offer a service so you can leave your ski and boots overnight.
snow report
Les Deux Alpes have decided not to open the glacier this autumn for skiing due to its poor condition. They hope to open in December as usual, snow permitting. The bike park, however, will open.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes I've just heard 😣 Decision can't have been taken lightly loads of ski clubs scheduled to come. My girlfriend is really disappointed. Was thinking of Tignes for a day but can't imagine it will be any better.

I understand that mountain biking etc will all be free to compensate.
ski holidays
@Claude B, yup. MB seems to be free. Cannot imagine that they took the decision lightly. First time that Toussaint skiing has been cancelled?
ski holidays
I believe so since 1973 when it started.

I need to think about what we can do for a week at mine. Ok if weather is good, hiking, etc but if not 😣
ski holidays
Bet it will puke it down with snow on the glacier
latest report
@Claude B, erm... wink
snow report
@Hurtle, These youngsters have no imagination. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Really you two 😁

I got back yesterday after almost a week away and it's very warm here. More summer than Autumn.
snow report
Season ticket purchased this afternoon Very Happy Unfortunately it won't get used at Toussaint, I saw a photo of the glacier today, shocking and depressing, I won't post it. Definitely Autumn here with the leaves changing, weather however is like summer. Took a little walk this afternoon.

ski holidays
@Claude B, v warm in the UK for mid-October too. Glacier looks grim on webcam
latest report
Forecast is for colder weather and rain/snow from later this week. Worse scenario for Toussaint for me 😣
ski holidays
Forecast is now colder with rain/snow later this week and the weekend. Brightening and warmer from Monday. Planning some hiking here and from La Berarde and a day skiing at Tignes.
ski holidays
We got some snow Sunday down to resort but no more Monday although it was still cold. As my girlfriend has been here this week, with no skiing we planned on a lot of hiking so Monday we took it easy, free lift up then hike down from 2400m in the snow.

Another hike here Tuesday, then rested our legs in Grenoble Wednesday. Yesterday was a far bigger hike from La Bérarde to Refuge Du Chatelleret. Great walk, just over 14km/650m vertical. Photo of the refuge with La Meije towering above it.

Far quieter at Toussaint than we would have been with skiing. Only some of the shops, bars, restaurants have opened.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy