Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap surplus skis and climbing skins sources in Europe?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'd like to buy a pair or two of cheap skis and climbing skins to be used for hiking and backpacking.
Maximum total load (me + rucksack) would probably be around 100 kg (220 lbs.) but I expect to keep it lower, around 90 kg (200 lbs.).

I did read about Swiss army surplus skis + skins + poles sets being having been sold for $24.95/set in the USA which sounds like a sweet deal to me, I know people say they are heavy but apparently they're also very durable and can be used with many boot types so for a such a price I'd accept the compromise.
Oddly enough lowest price I can find them here in Europe/shipping to Europe websites is €59 ($70) + shipping.

Do you have any recommendations on these skis and skins? Or would you recommend getting Norwegian/Danish/other surplus ones?
Could you share links to some good sellers?

Thank you

Alfredo
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What do you want to do with them? Doesn't sound like skiing is actually on the agenda?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999 wrote:
What do you want to do with them? Doesn't sound like skiing is actually on the agenda?

I'd need them for climbing uphill on steep slopes faster and more energy-efficiently than using snowshoes.
I won't however mind to use them to descent too if the terrain allows, nothing hardcore though (also because I'd be wearing a rucksack), just some easy snowplough style.

Any suggestions are welcome, thank you Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Think you're asking in the wrong place if Euro 59 for a used ski set up sounds expensive to you. You wouldn't get recent Swiss army surplus for that price - last time I saw soldiers they were on Stockli army skis etc. Possibly the US price would be realistic for old heavy straight skis. Advice here will be to get something as light as you can afford but in a modern design.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Think you're asking in the wrong place if Euro 59 for a used ski set up sounds expensive to you. You wouldn't get recent Swiss army surplus for that price - last time I saw soldiers they were on Stockli army skis etc. Possibly the US price would be realistic for old heavy straight skis. Advice here will be to get something as light as you can afford but in a modern design.

Thanks for your reply. It's not that much about being Euro 59 prohibitely expensive (though I don't think anybody would be happy to buy the very same item at 2x the price that it is being sold somewhere else), but more about given the use I'd make of them (traveling on snow, climbing uphill and eventually going downhill from time to time but very easily and relaxed), I don't think that skis costing 10x more are actually 10x better or 10x lighter, hope I explained my idea of price-benefit ratio and my interest in sellers of surplus skis.

The skis at $24.95 I was referring to are these in the picture (they're also the same type being sold at €59), I liked the idea because at that price I can't even find skins, let alone a whole set.

same kind but sold at twice the price:
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They look like they're from about 1960. They should get you up the hill just fine though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999 wrote:
They look like they're from about 1960. They should get you up the hill just fine though.

This - bindings definitely look pretty old school. Your other issue is field repairs - what do you do when a binding like that breaks on your up? Unlikely to come with a full repair kit

This do you if you fancy using telemark boots: Binding is at least a recognisable if old design

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Asnes-Norwegian-Telemark-Tour-Skis-PAIR-Made-In-Norway-Rottefella-Bindings-Army/321809071609?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D46150%26meid%3D7e614867de5f44e0b3284e9a7a374288%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D222292976466&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alfredo wrote:

The skis at $24.95 I was referring to are these in the picture (they're also the same type being sold at €59), I liked the idea because at that price I can't even find skins, let alone a whole set.

different skis, different bindings.

Do you have a link for the 24.95 pair? If it is Colemans it is years since they've actually had them in stock. They've an old ski / telemark type binding. The other skis in the bottom picture have a more modern binding, a Fritschi FT88 from the very early 80s. They should take an alpine climbing boot and so be useful as an approach ski. However the binding is very complicated and you'd need to make sure you get all the parts and is probably a major faff in the snow.

Actually skiing in climbing boots is not easy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

This - bindings definitely look pretty old school. Your other issue is field repairs - what do you do when a binding like that breaks on your up? Unlikely to come with a full repair kit

This do you if you fancy using telemark boots: Binding is at least a recognisable if old design

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Asnes-Norwegian-Telemark-Tour-Skis-PAIR-Made-In-Norway-Rottefella-Bindings-Army/321809071609?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D46150%26meid%3D7e614867de5f44e0b3284e9a7a374288%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D222292976466&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Edit: binding in Asnes surplus skis

Thanks for the link. Yes those would be nice, too bad they don't have the skins included in the set.

davidof wrote:
alfredo wrote:

different skis, different bindings.

Do you have a link for the 24.95 pair? If it is Colemans it is years since they've actually had them in stock. They've an old ski / telemark type binding. The other skis in the bottom picture have a more modern binding, a Fritschi FT88 from the very early 80s. They should take an alpine climbing boot and so be useful as an approach ski. However the binding is very complicated and you'd need to make sure you get all the parts and is probably a major faff in the snow.

Actually skiing in climbing boots is not easy.

I see, thank you. Yes I did refer to Colemans'. Seems they still have Asnes surplus ones in stock though? About these Swiss ones, I know they were being sold at surplus markets (that's also probably where most resellers, or rather re-re-resellers bought theirs) for around €18-€25, skins included and I know of similar Danish and Finnish markets being held which are however apparently unfindable by my English googling skills.

Edit: found these relatively cheap, can't tell if they're an earlier or later model

On telemark skiing and climbing boots I completely agree, however since I'd mostly use them as approach skis I don't expect on my way down, with buildup from the climb and with a rucksack on to do anything more than glide down and ease my descent.

Which of these surplus bindings would you recommend?

Thank you

Alfredo
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Alfredo
It is outside my competence. If you are going to use climbing boots make sure the binding can hold them. Don't underestimate the problems with the descent, especially with old bindings and flexible boots. You may be better with snowshoes, although they are not great on steep slopes (>35 degrees).

As a general rule the lightest and simplest bindings that will hold the boots you intend to wear will be best for approach skis. Some of the skis mentioned are long, climbers tend to favour shorter skis for approach work.

The ukclimbing forum may offer some more relevant advice.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wink

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Approach-Skis
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi

I sell used Asnes Combat NATO cross country skis in different sizes. Skis only (you will need to buy bindings separately, it's not hard to fix them though). This model: https://varuste.net/en/p126022/%C3%A5snes-combat-nato-bc

Send me a PM if interested.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy