Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2017/18 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Whitty wrote:

Please stop posting, you're making me very impatient! 52 days till we arrive in saalbach. Not that I'm counting 😀

Yep we arrive on 10th March as well. Your not the only impatient one, LOL. I check the webcams, forecasts, forum threads etc every day!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tatmanstours wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, Shhhh, don’t tell everyone! wink

I know, I was in two minds whether to bother saying anything!

Off to Zell am See tomorrow only because I’ve not been there either and want to see what it’s like.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if its 52 for you whitty its only 45 for us looks and sounds brilliant atm, now I am counting not days or hours but minutes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another vote for 45 and that is about 38 too long
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just come in from an evening of Cuckoo at Bobby’s and Spacey at the Otzi Bar, and you wouldn’t believe how much snow is out there!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@tatmanstours, I know! Just waiting to get on the first lift
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tatmanstours wrote:
Just come in from an evening of Cuckoo at Bobby’s and Spacey at the Otzi Bar, and you wouldn’t believe how much snow is out there!

25cm at valley and 50cm up top according to official site. One of the highest falls anywhere in Austria yesterday/overnight according to Bergfex. And that on top of the snow Tuesday which I think was 25cm up top Very Happy Very Happy And more heavy snow showers forecast tonight!! Razz Razz
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@tatmanstours, I know! Just waiting to get on the first lift

What's your itinerary today? We're all living vicariously through you until we land ourselves...

Really should be finishing work ahead of the holiday, really failing to do anything except look at snow forecasts and the piste map...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jimmybog wrote:

Please stop posting, you're making me very impatient! 52 days till we arrive in saalbach. Not that I'm counting 😀

ski for fun wrote:

its only 45 for us

*cough cough* 9 days *cough cough*
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ElzP, well. Originally I was going over to Zell for the day but I didn’t get the 7.55am bus by about 1 minute (bah) so I decided to get over to Viehhofen down number 68 (haven’t done it yet anyway) and catch the bus from there instead. Alas the Polzen chair was closed due to some technical issue even though it was showing as open on the boards, the chairs were off it so it didn’t seem like it was going to open any time soon. So that scuppered that idea!
So then I decided to stay here and go to Zell tomorrow instead but make sure I don’t miss the early bus!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@VolklAttivaS5, A friend of mine reported this morning that piste 68 was “awesome”, so I assume that the Polten lift must have reopened.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
looks like rain is coming after the snow.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tatmanstours wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, A friend of mine reported this morning that piste 68 was “awesome”, so I assume that the Polten lift must have reopened.

Yes it did open some time later and is still open now because after 4-5 laps of underneath the Schönleiten gondola and chair through the trees I went back to the Polten chair again and it was fully functioning then. I did another 3-4 laps of under the Polten chair through the trees before going over to Leogang.
Had lunch in Leogang then skied down 68 in some of the off piste to the sides of 68 then caught the bus back to Saalbach, which rather conveniently, was there waiting when I emerged from the piste.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
tatmanstours wrote:

Yes it did open some time later and is still open now because after 4-5 laps of underneath the Schönleiten gondola and chair through the trees I went back to the Polten chair again and it was fully functioning then. I did another 3-4 laps of under the Polten chair through the trees before going over to Leogang.
Had lunch in Leogang then skied down 68 in some of the off piste to the sides of 68 then caught the bus back to Saalbach, which rather conveniently, was there waiting when I emerged from the piste.

Just been looking at the webcams and the weather looked glorious this afternoon. Smile

So - 68 - how was it? Am really hoping to get the chance to do this next week, looks at my happy level from Tatman's videos.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

which rather conveniently, was there waiting when I emerged from the piste.

The ski bus leaves Viehhofen at 10 to, 10 past, and half past the hour. We usually call for a pit stop at the Hecherhuette and leave ten minutes before the bus is due. That way we never have to wait.
snow report
@ElzP, yes the sun came out about midday.
68 was in very good condition top to bottom.
snow report
All in all another fun day even though it wasn’t what I had planned. Came back to Saalbach from Viehhofen to find the Schattberg Xpress had just been closed due to high winds so it was back on the bus and off again instead at the Zwolfkogelbahn, I got there just after 4pm so just in time really.
There was a lovely dusky sunset at the top (and very windy) and some lovely views on the way down too. Skied back down to the bottom stopping at the Big Foot bar for a beer and a bar of chocolate before finishing off with the bus back to Saalbach again.

Last day tomorrow so Zell am See it is unless events conspire against me once more Toofy Grin
At least I got to ski yet more powder more or less all day long apart from the odd break skiing along the wonderfully snowy pistes enjoying the scenery, albeit it was a bit heavier going today off piste-but deeper than yesterday!
Had a couple of crashes today where the ski popped off unexpectedly so it’s an early night for me.
snow report
I'm new to Saalbach and arriving for the first time on Saturday. The discussion on here is seriously building the anticipation. I've been looking at Webcams and piste maps all day, and got very little work done.

A question for the experienced Saalbachers... Is it possible to get a lift in a car/skidoo from Veihhofen to the base of the Winkelstation? I am looking to ski Zem al See on the Superskicard, and was hoping I could avoid the 30 minute bus and get straight onto the mountain. Can't wait for 2019/2020 when the new lift link will be installed, properly linking the resorts.
snow report
letsgetpiste wrote:
*cough cough* 9 days *cough cough*

*cough cough* us too Very Happy *cough cough*
ski holidays
@luketatters, No idea but I doubt it. I have friends who have skied down to Viehhofen from the Schmittenhoehe but I’ve not heard of anyone getting over to Zell except by bus, car or taxi.
I have a group of 10 friends who based themselves in Zell for their holiday last season and spent half the week travelling to Saalbach - they didn’t like the skiing at Zell, which they felt was scenic but limited.
snow conditions
Make the most of the quietish pistes - word on the street is that it will be significantly busier next week. Furstauer has 25% more bookings.
ski holidays
Well, here we are! Very good drive over from Salzburg, much needed bottle of wine and excellent dinner at our hotel, a few digestif at a bar in hinterglemm I can't name but was in a basement... Looking forward to getting on with it, though our balcony looks right up the world cup slope so am mildly nervous... Embarassed
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:

I have a group of 10 friends who based themselves in Zell for their holiday last season and spent half the week travelling to Saalbach - they didn’t like the skiing at Zell, which they felt was scenic but limited.

Back home now but spent all day Friday at Zell am See. Beautiful scenery it has to be said, I took some marvellous pics. It was worth going over there to visit for the day but I also wouldn’t stay there for a week-I’d stay in Saalbach and do the bus across once (or twice if there was a lot of snow all over like there is now)
The off piste down the ski routes was amazing, such deep snow, not many on it and of course as it’s a small area it’s a quick turnaround to get back up again for another go.
Looking around there were loads of off piste opportunities had I had more time and knew the area but with this much snow at the moment it’s great everywhere. I don’t know what Zell is like on a ‘normal’ year for off piste. There is Kaprun as well obviously but I didn’t go there.
A fab day skiing lots of powder was unfortunately marred by being cut up by a boarder on the piste back to the Schmittenbahn who knocked my skis off and didn’t even stop. He/she must have known they hit something but they were nowhere to be seen, they must have been going at one hell of a pace. Anyhow I have a very swollen and painful knee as a token of them being an asshole.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, back home myself now. Good to ski with you, as I said, and sorry there wasn't a bit more chance for exploration together. Hope the knee is just some bruising. I was actually quite impressed with the off piste in Zell, particularly on the north side of the mountain, and in the Kettingbahn area. I always think S-H is quite a 'neutered' area and off piste is more limited than you would expect for such a big area. The area served by the Schattberg Sprinter, when it was a chairlift, used to have some great options for off-piste or moguls even when the powder was skied out. When the gondola was built, it took a slightly different line, the piste was widened and flattened, and more avalanche barriers installed, and it all became a bit dull.
I would have loved to have seen Fieberbrunn in this weeks conditions though, and in fresh snow you can normally find a days worth of powder anywhere in the circus if you know where to look. Once the powder is tracked though, S-H is a hard place to find fun off piste.
The glacier at Kaprun was a surprise. I skied it before the fresh snow arrived, so there was no untracked powder, but I found lots of interesting off piste. A shame it's such a pain to get to.
Anyway, we have a decision as to whether to return to Hinterglemm or Zell, (well, Schmitten) next year. At the moment Zell is favourite, purely because of the family nature of our party. We have found a suite, (essentially a 3-bed flat almost) in a hotel close to the lifts, that suits us perfectly. I'm the only one who would make use of a big ski area, (but as my daughter grows that will change), so the area is suitable for everyone else, and Zell is not bad, if a bit busy in places. It is unquestionably a very scenic area as well, slightly overdeveloped around the lake, but very scenic. Hinterglemm may have to wait, but I will return.
latest report
Quote:

S-H is a hard place to find fun off piste.

Google "saalbach bergenholtz youtube" - the guys from the Underbar seem to spend most days skiing Saalbach's back country.
snow conditions
To be fair, I did add the qualifier 'once the powder is tracked', and most of their videos are of powder days. I've almost certainly skied most of the areas these videos show over the years, and I've had some amazing off-piste in S-H at times, but the N facing slopes are often too thickly tree covered and steep for meaningful off piste, while the more open S facing slopes get hit by the sun, so unless you get that short window of corn it's hard going. And, as I said, the area under the Schattberg Sprinter, which used to be a go to area for me has been neutered, as well as other areas being declared out of bounds. An old favourite route of mine used to be to drop off the back of the Westgipfel heading ultimately to Jausern round the back of the mountain. That's now a no-go area as well. Off course there's lots of off piste in S-H, it's a big area, there just isn't as much good stuff as you'd expect for its size.
ski holidays
We (me and my wife) are heading to Saalbach next Saturday and I'm looking for some advice. We're staying at Appartement Memory, which is on the main road between Saalbach and Hinterglemm. It looks like it's pretty close to a bus stop and I'm trying to decide if we should just keep our ski gear in the apartment and get the bus to the lifts every day or if it'd be better to rent lockers at a lift and just walk it. Are there any lockers available to rent at the main lifts? The Schattberg X-Press looks to be the closest but I think my wife would prefer the skiing from the Bernkogelbahn. And is the ski-bus service good? I'm happy to get a bus if it's reasonably frequent and we can actually get on, I've had a few bad experiences of waiting for buses in places like Zurs and finding that they're completely full when they arrive.

Another question - I usually service our skis myself, but I think they're about due a base grind which I can't do. Any recommendations for good skis services in Saalbach?

Thanks!
latest report
@tatmanstours, in fact, pretty much all their videos seem to be powder days. Please don't quote me out of context. There is a massive difference between 'S-H is a hard place to find fun off piste', and 'Once the powder is tracked, S-H is a hard place to find find fun off-piste'. Also please note the use of the word hard, rather than impossible. My point is you need to know the area at times, and some off piste needs to be worked at more than other areas.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@VolklAttivaS5, hope the swelling is going down now! Quick question - does the Saalbach pass include skiing in Zell or did you have to buy a day ticket for Zell? We're going to Saalbach for two weeks so a day somewhere else might be nice.
snow report
@Valkyrie, Yes, the ski bus service is good - never been unable to get on a bus, and they run every 20 mins. You can rent a locker at the Schattberg Xpress lift station quite cheaply - less than 20 euros for the week; it would just be a question of thinking about which way you'd be heading the following day, and whether it might be a hassle to have to walk to that particular lift station if, for example, you were intending to catch a bus to Hinterglemm.
Re ski servicing, we use Hansi (Hansi's Best-Price) but he doesn't do them himself - he send them out for overnight servicing. There are plenty of other places where you can get them done - try Ski Furst and Hagleitners.
snow conditions
Quote:

Quick question - does the Saalbach pass include skiing in Zell or did you have to buy a day ticket for Zell? We're going to Saalbach for two weeks so a day somewhere else might be nice.

The Saalbach pass doesn't include Zell, even for a day. However the Super Ski Card is only slightly more expensive than a normal local pass. "The Super Ski Card: 1 ticket, 200 ski days per year, 23 ski regions in six provinces with more than 2,700 slope kilometres and 900 cable cars and lifts!"
Look at the prices on https://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/skitickets/skitickets-shlf and work out whether it would be more cost effective to buy a one-day ticket for Zell.
latest report
@Valkyrie, I'll back up what @tatmanstours, says. I've never had a problem getting on a bus, even if slopes have been closed due to weather and it's the only route up and down the valley. Personally, unless you have far to walk to a ski bus stop I wouldn't hire a locker. The ski buses stop at the lifts so little walking at that end is required, and it limits you to where you start every morning. One of the greatest attractions of S-H for me is getting up and thinking of all the options that immediately await you. I wouldn't want to limit those options.
latest report
I emailed the lift company recently and they said there are No ski lockers at Bernkogel gondola station!!
ski holidays
@Valkyrie, yes you want to be getting the Salzburg Super Ski Pass if you want to ski both areas as you please. It’s only €17 more for a 6 day than the Ski Circus one is anyway. Otherwise for a day pass at Zell/Kaprun that will cost you €51.
Don’t forget you need to pay for the 680 post bus to Zell and back mind which cost me €4.70 on the way and €4 on the way back as I got off at an earlier stop on my return
snow report
Arriving in Saalbach next weekend and just got a couple of quick questions!

#1.) Large beer / Large wine :- average mountain price / cheapest place / most expensive place. My group tend to become creatures of habit, so if we hit the right place early on, we will probably keep going back!!

#2.) Gluten free dining. The tourist office tells me that the following hotels have gluten free options, but I’d be really interested in 1st hand recommendations! On mountain and in village. (Saalbacher Hof, Kendler, Ellmauhof, Sonne, Theresia, Eva)
snow conditions
@Valkyrie, yes I’d agree, don’t bother getting a locker at the lift station.

Swelling is going down now thanks.
Interesting bruising actually on the back and side of the knee rather than the front which is what took the impact. Think it will take a good week to feel ok, hope it’s fixed soon as I’m off skiing again on 3rd Feb!
latest report
@letsgetpiste, don’t know about the gluten free question but for a beer it all seemed about the same to me wherever I went, €4-4.50 for a large, €3-3.50 for a small.
Tiroler Grostl price varied between €8.90 to €11.50
Germknodel price varied between €5.80 and €8 I think
snow report
Thurneralm good for Stiegl!
snow conditions
Short break, just spent the weekend helping organize trip to saalbach next week28th for son and dil. Relatively easy and not as prohibitively expensive as feared, they work most sat and every other sunday so normal tour op are not practical just now and thought they may have had to miss out this year, plus child care to sort (granny).
Flights out early from manchester jet 2 sunday return friday am eurowings(free skis) incl bags and skis£165 pp. Transfer taxi euro saalbach as train/bus timetable doesnt fit, return to airport does so total cost to allow 4 and1/2 full days skiing95 euros pp.Landhaus hotel 1/2 board booked through tourist office 85 euro/night pp close enough to centre and final night airport hotel 50euro pp room only as early check in but gives full day skiing and time for meal leave @ 7.30pm. So if they get there on time sunday which is possible need a 4 1/2 day pass or if late 4 day and take advantage of the 3 pm free , cost wise @£ 600 or £135/day pp skiing plus lift pass which for saalbach seems reasonable esp if compared to my trip booked for march !! . we did give tatman a shout(thanks) but all s/c gone.
snow conditions
I meant to say last week while I was in Saalbach that I had a look around a shop in Leogang and there was some serious biking stuff in there. Made me think it must be an awesome biking destination in the summer months because I’d never seen that much biking stuff in other resorts when I’d had a random look around the shops.
Made me want to have a go!
If there’s any terrorist business this year and my summer holiday to Hurghada gets cancelled then I know where I will go instead!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy