Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Over 60 new skiier

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I'm 62 and have decided to go on the Myashbash in Livigno in January 2018 (I'll be 63 then). I'm not fit and haven't done any exercise for about four years. Having said that; I'm not overweight (I'm the same weight now as when I was in my mid 20's) , I don't have a beer belly, have never smoked and used to be very fit when I was younger; playing both football and rugby. But it was a looooong time ago. Am I being daft to even think about going on a Snowhead bash, even one like the MYashBash; which is aimed at beginners and intermediates?

I intend to work on my leg strength between now and then; (which is my main weakness), in particular my knees.

I've started going to the Chillfactore in Manchester (better than nothing) and did the 6 hour (1 day) beginners course and 6 hour (1 day) improver course in the same week. I was a little tired at the end of the second course and fell and pulled a muscle in my calf in the last ten minutes of the sessions (gutted). It's healing fine.

I've just read all the list of injuries people have had on the thread, in particular knee injuries and am now thinking "Am I being too ambitious to even think about it".

I'm enthusiastic and love skiing. I did cross country skiing when in the forces, way back. I've even bought my own boots and skis recently to give myself the best chance possible of improving. I have no intention of going off piste. As Clint Eastwood once said " A man should know his limitations"

Any thoughts and advice welcome
Awdbugga.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Awdbugga, there are plenty of snowheads who came to it later in life! The MyAshBash will be perfect for you - you'll find everyone very supportive, and I'll bet by the end of it you'll be wanting to come back in April for the eosb Smile Where there are a good number of snowheads in their 60s and 70s.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My knees are my main weakness. I've been toying with the idea of buying some knee braces to give that little bit extra support. Anyone ever used them, or are they just a good marketing ploy?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have two (!!??) of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mueller-Adjustable-Knee-Support-Black-/142472250193?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

They give me a lot of confidence and are less bulky than a brace.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Awdbugga, good idea to work on leg muscle strength. Important to work on overall aerobic fitness too I think. Skiing several consecutive days at altitude is demanding at any age.
Steady improvement of fitness best. Plenty advice available on exercise types and regimes.

Unless you already have a knee injury, or significant damage, I doubt knee supports will help. Any specific knee problems?

I don't think you're being too ambitious - years of pleasure ahead. I was in a ski school group many years ago with 2 Scottish guys on their first week, both in their early 80s. They took a swig of whisky from a hip flask before setting off down steeper looking runs. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Awdbugga wrote:
(I'll be 63 then). I'm not fit and haven't done any exercise for about four years. Having said that; I'm not overweight (I'm the same weight now as when I was in my mid 20's) , I don't have a beer belly.
Awdbugga.

Your still a youngster.
Get some gentle exercise and work on your drinking arm.
Come to the birthday bashes in Italy the food and company are so good your weight should increase and you can work on a beer belly. I've got a head start on you.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Awdbugga, there are several snowHeads with arthritic knees who swear by these: http://www.skimojo.com/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quad work outs will never go amiss either, no matter what age you are.

My dad went/was forced to the MYASH bash when he was 65. His previous experience of skiing was 1 day in Canada a few years before that. He was definitely working hard but I don't remember him really having issues, his complaints were mostly about not being able to ski. We went to the Bash again this year and he started get a bit more adventurous and better with his skiing but there were still times he would head back early in the afternoon because he was tired. However he then did a couple days in Canada and finished the season with the EoSB where he basically skied full days all week.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Intermediate. No specific knee problems. Just mainly age related - not as flexible or as as strong as they used to be.

Lechbob - I'm going to banned from the bash for saying this, but I don't really drink. It took me 35 years to realise that me an alcohol don't mix. I get sick as a dog on very little.

I've just spent 10 minutes on my wife's (never used) Reviber Vibrating plate with my knees slightly bent and back straight(ish). https://reviber.co.uk/reviber-plus-oscillating-vibration-plate-exerciser/

Amazing. I could feel it all round my knees, front of thighs and hamstring area. The vibration is similar to the movements of going over bumpy snow. Your knees are continuously working to compensate for the wobbling. I reckon 20-30 minutes a day on that would work wonders to build up around my knees, and it's low impact.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm convinced guys. I'm in. I'm definitely a young 62 and game for most things. It should be a blast. Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Might be worth considering getting aquainted with a foam roller too...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What's a foam roller?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You will be fine.. Why not go to the ski test at Chilfactor and say hello to some SH's.

The only advice I can give is to get a pair of properly fitted boots. As a newbie expect to get a new set in a couple of years. However, properly fitted boots will help you progress.

I recommend Rivington Alpine in Corley up your way for advice and boots.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PS I don't know what a foam roller is either?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Awdbugga, @GlasgowCyclops, it's a hard, cylindrical object, which you roll up and down tight bits of yourself. It hurts like boogery.
snow report
@GlasgowCyclops I'm going to the ski test. I don't need the skis, as mine are brand spanking new, never been used yet (because of the torn calf muscle). I'm itching to try them out. I bought Rossignol Experinece 80 HDs. I'm sure they will be fine for my needs.

I've already bought boots from Snow and Rock in the Chillfactore. I bought a pair of Dalbello Avanti 90's. Again I did loads of research. They felt really comfortable straight out of the box. They haven't been heat moulded to my feet yet either. (The shop was closing up for the evening, when I bought them). I may go back to the shop this weekend to get them moulded, but they are already 100 times more comfortable than the hire boots. Happy days.
snow conditions
So the foam roller I use for emulsioning walls won't cut it? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Sorry! Yes, as @Hurtle says! Although they are firm foam rather than 'hard'. Good for massaging tight muscles to loosen them which can be a cause of painful knees (mine certainly were/ are). Exercise + stretching + foam roller is a good combination. Foam roller initally does hurt a bit, if you're tight...
Exercise alone may just tighten everything up more and make your knee pain worse.
snow report
Thanks for enlightening me. It sounds to be a useful bit of kit.
snow report
@Awdbugga, You'll be Ok at the MYasH if you managed 6hours of tuition at CFe. Besides with the hotel being less than 50m from the bottom of the slope, you can go back for a coffee break. Also the mountains are a nicer more dustracting enviroment than a fridge, so you tend not to notice the effort as much.

If you want a foam roller have a look in Aldi. They had them in their offers a few weeks ago and I know theres still a few in stock at my local one.

Even though you have your own skis, the Oktobertest will give you chance to try different ones back to back and compare the difference and as a result understand some of the jargon better... and it's quite a socialble afternoon as well. Plus you won't feel quite so nervous arriving at a random Italian airport in Jan', looking for random internet wierdos and hoping it's not all some elaberate scam... if you've met some of the wierdos before! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Thanks everyone. This really is a friendly helpful forum. Glad I found it. I will be definitely going to Oktobertest in the Chillfactore and will be booking MYashBash. How many none skiing partners go to Myash? My wife is tempted to join me, but cannot ski for medical reasons. Is there much for non skiiers to do for a whole week?
snow conditions
I'ts August so you have plenty of time to improve your fitness in time for Italy. Join a gym, get some help in terms of developing leg strength and endurance. Don't forget core strength that helps a lot in skiing. If you do that you might not need knee braces and you will enjoy your skiing more.

You will have to do some suffering to achieve this though. Good luck
snow conditions
Sound advice from @Grandma Sunshine,

I'd be careful how much time you spend on that vibrating plate. If it is like skiing over bumpy snow then it probably means more wear and gear on those vital knee cartilages and ligaments.

Exercises that build core strength and leg muscles, without stressing knees too much, may be best.
snow conditions
@Grandma Sunshine, would you have any tips for wrinklies on how to stretch quads? I always used to pull my heel up to my bum, but now can't do this without a lot of pain in my knee. (As you know, although I have reduced flex in my knees now, I have enough to ski and don't use any kind of support. The only pain I get is at the end of the day when I stop. Oh, and when someone with the kindest of intentions helps me down from the back of admin's van. wink) My quads are pretty strong, I'd just like a pain-free way of stretching them a bit at the end of a day's skiing. This must surely be a common problem, no?
snow report
@Hurtle, No such thing as pain-free stretching. Myofascial release type stretching would work well for you as there would be no stress on the knee. I use it on kids with osgood schlatters condition, painful but effective.
latest report
@Grandma Sunshine my core strength is actually pretty good. It's the joints/tendons which are my weakness. But as you say, it's only August and I have plenty of time to improve my leg strength. I can't go too nuts until my torn calf is fully healed. It's going to be a long 5 months until January. I can't wait for 1st Property skiing holiday. 👍⛷🍻⛷🍻 😁. I'll have to make do with Chillfactore in the mean time.
ski holidays
@Grandma Sunshine,
Quote:

No such thing as pain-free stretching
Fair dos, but I've been told not to flex my knees beyond where they want to go. (I used to keep pushing in Pilates classes, but 2 physios have said that's a bad idea if you have some osteoarthritis. Maybe you disagree?)
Quote:

Myofascial release type stretching would work we
You what? Off to Google I go...
latest report
Ah, foam roller...never tried that on the fronts of my thighs...Some interesting contortions might be required for full effect... rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Foam rollering is horrible and painful but it's irritatingly effective. I don't do it as much as I should; I notice the benefit when I do. My niggling knee pain largely goes away when I'm diligent about rollering my outer thigh.
ski holidays
Quote:

foam roller...never tried that on the fronts of my thighs...Some interesting contortions might be required for full effect
The wonders of the internet. Here's how to do it, allegedly: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/foam-roller-exercises/slide/5
ski holidays
@Awdbugga, I had my first ski trip at 60 and have been for the last 10 years since and ski first to last lift.
As a complete beginner I found the most strenuous and tiring part of that first week was not in the legs but in the shoulders , getting up after repeatedly falling over in lessons.
Provided you have decent posture and balance skiing is as strenuous as you make it.
Stick with cruisey blues and you will ski all day. Hammer reds or steep blacks and you will be done before lunch.
Go for it and enjoy
snow report
@Hurtle, this foam roller thing looks more exhausting than the full body workout which causes the muscle irritations in the first place Laughing

There are some pretty effective quad stretches for some people which involve only a gentle grasp of foot behind you (so not knee very bent) or supported on a settee or something behind you - you get the stretch by a forward pelvic tilt rather than just pulling the leg/heel back to your bum. Can't explain it better, but was shown it as part of my knee rehab. Maybe you can find something on Google/ YouTube?
latest report
Foam rollers are very good but they don't replace stretching. It is used as a replacement for massaging. Not as effective but far cheaper.

When I do use mine it's for calves, quads hamstrings, iliotibial bands, lower and upper back and neck.

When I have knee problems it is normally caused by tight leg muscles.
snow conditions
Thanks all for the tips and encouragement. I hope there is a good turnout for the MyashBash next year. I'm really looking forward to it. 😃⛷👍
snow conditions
@Awdbugga, McFlude Snr and the non-skiing Popsie are planning to go. It'll be their first bash without me so make sure they don't get up to any mischief!
snow report
I can't promise anything @SnoodlesMcFlude 😆. Nothing worse than olduns. They are past caring what people think 😱😉
Nice to hear I won't be the oldest there. Shame you won't be there, I've enjoyed watching your videos of previous bashes.
ski holidays
@Awdbugga, thanks. Still haven't completely ruled out Livigno, was thinking of heading to the GnarBug but Livigno is pretty good value so my bank balance may send me that way Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

There are some pretty effective quad stretches for some people which involve only a gentle grasp of foot behind you (so not knee very bent) or supported on a settee or something behind you - you get the stretch by a forward pelvic tilt rather than just pulling the leg/heel back to your bum.

This works for me. Just experiment with height - I can effectively stretch mine by having on knee on floor and foot of same leg up on settee behind me. Other leg bent and out in front for support - bent as in lunging, knee above foot. My knees don't like tight flexion either. The "grasping your foot" methods often tend to end up by my twisting the knee - cheating, and painful.

To the OP - yes, give the Bash a go. You'll have a great time.

My much-respected osteopath prescribes cycling uphill (low gear/high cadence) for dodgy old knees. I only wish I were better at actually doing it....
snow report
Maybe I'm not as old and kna**ered as I think I am. I can stand on one leg and bend my other one right up behind me, by pulling on my foot and stretching my quads. Perhaps I'll have to change my user name to notsoawdbugga. Doesn't have the same ring to it though.

A quick question for anyone who reads this - how do I reply directly (not PM) to someone who has posted a comment on a thread I started. In other words, how do I get their name in bold imbedded within the post or at the start of it. I tried typing their user name with just an @ in front of it, but that doesn't seem to work. Thanks.
ski holidays
Quote:

There are some pretty effective quad stretches for some people which involve only a gentle grasp of foot behind you (so not knee very bent) or supported on a settee or something behind you - you get the stretch by a forward pelvic tilt rather than just pulling the leg/heel back to your bum.

This works for me. Just experiment with height - I can effectively stretch mine by having on knee on floor and foot of same leg up on settee behind me. Other leg bent and out in front for support - bent as in lunging, knee above foot.

Thanks very much, I shall try this. They're not usually so tight as to need the roller treatment, a gentle stretch is all I need, so that sounds great. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy