Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet/Europcar price match

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone ever managed to get this? I sent off a claim once and never heard back from them.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never made a claim but have often checked and it is always competitive.

If you have an Easyjet Plus card, you book the smallest car and get upgraded to something like a Golf, foc. This makes it even more competitive.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well I wouldn't say its competitive. Ive booked a compact for 103 and they were 150+. But as they say you get twice the difference back, I thought id look into it. But no chance of getting hold of anyone to do it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I wouldn't say its competitive. Ive booked a compact for 103 and they were 150+. But as they say you get twice the difference back, I thought id look into it. But no chance of getting hold of anyone to do it. Didn't want to do it and then get stung for the extra that I would have saved. Feel its a bit of a con myself
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't know about the price match, but one tip to bear in mind is that if you are flying with Easyjet, then don't book through easyjet or direct with their partner. If flying with Ryanair, don't book with their partner. You might get a great deal (or not) but you run the risk of waiting for ages in the car hire queue because every other sod on the flight is using the same car hire company.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Personally I use carrentals.co.uk as a search and find some of the cheapest prices around (no necessarily booking through them, but using them as a search engine). Not only do you get cheaper prices than booking through the airlines but you also get visibility of which hire car company they are making the booking with so you can check them out - some times the cheapest prices are cheap for a reason!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh and PS, the insurance excess thingy, never buy from the hire car company - costs about £40/week or more when you can get an annual one for about £12 elsewhere!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PaulC1984 wrote:
Oh and PS, the insurance excess thingy, never buy from the hire car company - costs about £40/week or more when you can get an annual one for about £12 elsewhere!

My head is about to explode re: insurance.

I've rented via autoeurope.com and rentalcars.com and direct with companies like goldcar and sicilybycar in the past

I've booked with an agent in the past, taken their insurance out only to be told at pick up that I have to take the provider's insurance out.

Got a booking with rentalcars.com starting tomorrow (9th) through to (14th).

Just booked the car at this stage.

So do I take
a) the insurance package rentalcars.com have offered?
b) the insurance package offered at time of picking up the car with ecovia?
c) other?

Many thanks in advance
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
c) Other - buy annual car rental excess cover from a broker that covers you for the large excess that comes as standard with the rental car.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
C) Definitely

The only think to mention is that with your own insurance you may have to put down a larger security deposit as you yourself may (depending on the policy) have to pay the excess and then claim it back, where as is you take out rentalcars.com insurance (for eg) or insurance when picking up the car, they pay out straight to car hire firm
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PaulC1984" "ster wrote:
C) Definitely

The only think to mention is that with your own insurance you may have to put down a larger security deposit as you yourself may (depending on the policy) have to pay the excess and then claim it back, where as is you take out rentalcars.com insurance (for eg) or insurance when picking up the car, they pay out straight to car hire firm

Many thanks.

Recommendations please?

Is this an add on to existing UK car insurance or separate product?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Use http://www.moneymaxim.co.uk/compare-car-hire-excess-insurance?affid=46775 to search for insurance

Use http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire for hints and tips - I saved about £230 for a week following this advice!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PaulC1984 wrote:
Use http://www.moneymaxim.co.uk/compare-car-hire-excess-insurance?affid=46775 to search for insurance

Use http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire for hints and tips - I saved about £230 for a week following this advice!

Legend. Reading through now Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I used www.icarhireinsurance.com

Very easy and, whilst I have not had to make a claim, I understand from various reviews that they are extremely good.
snow conditions
I had had use Questor (https://www.questor-insurance.co.uk/car-hire-insurance.aspx) car hire excess waiver for a couple of years, lately it was £42 annually for Euro cover for 2 named drivers which covers £6,000 of excess.

A bit cheaper than the car hire companies £10 per day to remove their excess.

Havent had to claim so can't comment if they are any good when it comes to the crunch, but read some good things I think here about them. Also prefer to have UK based and governed insurance.

When renting the rental company will put a large charge on your credit card if you dont take their excess waiver insurance so have a card with a decent credit limit on it. If something does happen I think you pay the rental co then claim back from the insurer.
latest report
Thanks all.

Much appreciated 👍
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, I have struggled with this a number of times. These days I usually use Hertz, because their extended cover is reasonably priced (£40 from memory) but the absence of hassle picking up and dropping off outweighs any other savings. Basically when I returned last month, he counted the wheels, smiled and waved us off. The invoice was (at last) understandable.
I looked at 3rd party insurance (in fact my company car policy would cover me) but proving it to the rental operative, securing the credit and the thought of the hassle and delay if there was a claim..nah.
However they do keep changing how they operate, so I do check every time.
snow report
@Strax, never been asked to prove I have insurance - they don't care as they have your credit card. My 2 claims ere settled in a few days - I only had to email scans of the rental doc, photos of damage and a statement with the bill. less than £40pa, and I rent at least 4 times a year, and one claim was €1200
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I don't know about the price match, but one tip to bear in mind is that if you are flying with Easyjet, then don't book through easyjet or direct with their partner. If flying with Ryanair, don't book with their partner. You might get a great deal (or not) but you run the risk of waiting for ages in the car hire queue because every other sod on the flight is using the same car hire company.

Just not true. Ever. Plus at any major airport, aircraft are landing every 1-2 minutes.

Re excess insurance, I have a Questor policy. I rent approx 15 cars a year so it really pays for itself. I've never had to use it.
snow conditions
@bar shaker, we had this at Innsbruck in May where Avis (BA partner) was very busy after the BA flight landed. Little or no queue at the other desks. But at major airports shouldn't be a big problem.

Although wait at Avis desk at Munich last week was 1.5 hours.....nothing to do with BA though.
snow report
Back from Italy.

Just wanted to thank everyone who made suggestions.

Went with an annual policy with icarhireinsurance.com for £57.97

Hired from ecovia.com at Malpensa Airport, Milan - £63 for 6 days

Off-site, shuttle from airport was 10 mins, petrol station on site so no dramas about fuel, 5 mins to check the car and we were done.

Highly recommend both.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 16-08-17 15:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Bennyboy1,
If you're flying to Munich use Hertz and join their Gold club. You just walk straight into the car park and collect your keys from the hut. No queueing at all.
ski holidays
Yep, but just one caveat. I'm a gold card member, but next Thursday, a compact car from them was £185, but got it for about £105. So there is a price to pay to get straight through.
snow report
musher wrote:
@Bennyboy1,
If you're flying to Munich use Hertz and join their Gold club. You just walk straight into the car park and collect your keys from the hut. No queueing at all.

I'm gild and get 10% off with Amex but their prices are still considerably higher (circa40%!) Than through comparison sites.

Heading to Italy I tend to book with Sixt (through comparison sites) and can get an estate or small 4x4 for just under £200, - with hertz you are talking 450 to 500 if you don't get a free upgrade or 370 to 450 if you can bag an upgrade (never garunteed)

Have never had to queue with Six and have always been spot on
ski holidays
£80 more or 2 hours queueing in the terminal with 2 tired kids and Mrs M with all those shopping opportunities. I know which is both better and cheaper wink
ski holidays
@musher, haha this is indeed true, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@PaulC1984, good shout, thanks
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy