Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

OTG Goggles do they work ?

Poster: A snowHead
I was thinking about buying a pair of Over The Glasses goggles, but before I do that I would like to hear if you have any experience and/or any recommendations in these goggles.

My fear is of course that my glasses will fog up. Will they ?? Cool
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BackSeater, I don't need them myself, but would have thought fogging up would be a problem. I know a couple of glasses- wearing snowHeads who have bought a helmet with visor, and found them much better than OTG.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Various friends have tried them with little success. Having said that, some of that experience dates back to the days when they only wore goggles when it was snowing... so already a challenging environment.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BackSeater, What Hells Bells just said. I'm a spectacle wearer and I did use OTG goggles. It does help minimise fogging if you ensure that the lenses of your spectacles are scrupulously clean - any dirt or grease on them acts as a nucleus for water vapour to condense on. However I still on occasion had problems with fogging, but a couple of years ago I got a Bollé helmet with visor and find that has fixed any problems.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had a pair of Scott ones, but the tint didn't really work for me, and the depth meant peripheral vision was a bit restricted.
I don't get on with contacts, so in the end went for a pair of Oakley flight deck with prescription inserts. There is a really useful thread about that if you search. For me the advantage of that was the choice of lenses available.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I moved to a helmet with visor and have not looked back. It used to be a standard joke in my family that I was always searching for OTG that would work. I think in all reality none of them work 100% of the time in every different condition and situation. But I'm really happy with my helmet and visor combo, I may still get a little fogging or misting on occasion but its easily minimised and rectified, unlike OTG which once it started seemed to come back at ever increasing regularity. I still own a pair of OTG but haven't worn them for 3 years and sold the others 6 pairs on ebay. I would say that like every other bit of kit, not all Helmets and visors are equal, and I tried quite a few before I settled on mine, visor to short/long, helmet uncomfortable, not quite right, odd shape for my odd shaped head etc........
The best thing for me is that I can wear any glasses I want under the visor, including my prescription sunnies. I'm sure that other people have their opinions, this is my experience.
Secretly I do miss the excuse to go "researching" in the hunt for the holey grail of goggles, good luck.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When my Son's glasses fogged up under his goggles, he found that Anti-Fog spray put regularly on his specs, worked well.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 23-07-17 11:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have used the Oakley canopy goggle for 3 seasons now and have found them to be fantastic, they are not widely advertised as OTG but they are and any fogging up i have every had has been very rare and is more down to my glasses being dirty and as long as your moving your fine
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have written this on snowHeads a few times:

Ordinary goggles that fit your face.
Nail scissors: cut away about 1 cm of the foam away just where the arms of your goggles are.
Comfy....no arm pressure
Fog-free as the extra air flow really works.
Not cold as the extra air flow is not enough to make your face cold.
Stylish...well at least you are not wearing oversized OTG style. If you have mirror lenses on the goggles nobody will know you are a four eyed monster!

I have tried this with several pairs, 100% success...NO FOGGING
Previously I tried OTG, even an absurdly expensive pair with a battery powered fan in the goggles. None of the OTG were as good.

Personally I hate the visor style, but each to their own and all that.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rocki wrote:
I moved to a helmet with visor and have not looked back. ...

Is that because the field of vision is restricted ? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I toyed with this but in the end plumped for some prescription inserts for my goggles instead of buying specific OTC ones.

I used these guys https://www.spex4less.com/

Really easy and simple to order. Just need your prescription details. And for me anyway the clip in inserts work perfectly and obviously can be transferred from goggle to goggle (that being said, they do fit better in some pairs than others).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rungsp, +1. Did this with my daughter's goggles this year when we realised (just before going skiing) that her new glasses did not fit under her (non-OTG) goggles. Cue surgery with scissors and a scalpel, no more problems. It was a mix of snow and rain that day, and no issues with fogging then or since.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rungsp, an interesting solution.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a pair of OTG googles and get on with them when it is snowing.

I use an antifog preparation on my glasses called [ charmingly ] CATCRAP. much to my surprise it works well.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My head is pretty big (Size 64) so i do need large oversized goggles anyway.
I have a pair of Oakley airbrake XL but they are way too small even for my smallest frame less glasses Embarassed
In order try out what @rungsp is suggesting i will need the widest goggles on the market. Is that Oakley Canopy ??

A helmet with visor? Sorry but I'm not there, yet...
snow conditions
@BackSeater, Canopy are OTG anyway IIRC. They are certainly big and wrap around style. Not sure I'd be taking a knife to such expensive goggles in the first insance though.
I found the staff in the Oakley store in London really helpful, if you have one near you might be worth popping in (with your helmet)
Speaking of which - the way the goggles mate with the helmet is also really important for air flow & therefore avoidance of fogging.
ski holidays
@BackSeater, airbrake, even in XL form, are not among Oakleys bigger goggles

Off the top of my head I think Flight Deck are the bigguns.

But visor helmets seem to be what a lot of glasses wearers are raving about
snow conditions
@dp, I'm pretty sure Canopy is bigger than Flight Deck - I tried both on in the Oakley store and rejected the Canopy because I thought it was too big - unless I misremembered and ordered the wrong one later (I don't normally do the showroom thing, taking advice in store and then buying online elsewhere - but think it's fair game when it's the brands flagship store rather than an independent retailer)
snow conditions
@Tubaski, pretty sure its the other way around - but it could just be the way they look as the Flightdecks are frameless while the Canopys have a frame.

FWIW, I've used Canopys for a while now and as a glasses wearer who 'runs hot' steaming up was always an issue for me until I switched to Oakleys, teamed with a good ventilated helmet. The only time I get any fogging issues these days are if I've got a faceful of snow sometime and I've stopped, then I'll get a bit of misting up, but as soon as I'm moving again, it'll clear. I've tried visor helmets in other sports and I get the same problem I always have when not using goggles which is that my eyes start to stream.
latest report
I've used both inserts in Adidas goggles as well as inserts in a Smith I/O. Both work well with minimal fogging - something I rarely think about now. This is much better than the OTG goggle solution as it keeps everything together and you can use a normal person goggle without modification.

Two critical points. First, cleaning the insert thoroughly and then apply an anti fog treatment. Second, ensure you don't have anything round your neck. I find that a buff or anything intended to keep my neck warm fogs the insert. Both of those apply to using OTG goggles btw.

Keep the whole thing dry. If you take a header, you will need to clean up thoroughly. The usual advice, along the lines of keeping moving/don't put them on your head goes double.

I
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy