Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carving goals

Poster: A snowHead
if only ........

https://www.facebook.com/ligetyted/videos/10154968724593440/

Sorry only a facebook link , cant find it on Youtube.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
He makes it look deceptively easy. It takes real guts and faith (and sharp edges), to allow your skis to get so far away from your hips....it's a great example of "Long Leg / Short Leg".
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Like all masters of their craft , looks effortless.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@hawkwind, nice!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@hawkwind, impressive and as you've said, "if only".....

At least you've given us all something to aspire to Very Happy

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 9-07-17 12:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
God that's beautiful.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
God that's beautiful.

Indeed and a little hypnotic.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The most dangerous development in Ski Technology.

More Piste accidents (some fatal) have been caused by Carving.

Stop the Brutal Grooming
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stanton, it may have escaped your attention that he's a racer, not an ordinary piste skier, you blithering moron.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Now there's a good word... "blithering" ...and perfectly used.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
LOL... haven't heard that used in a long while Razz
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@hawkwind, good find Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hurtle, Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
he not just "a racer" - He's Ted Ligety - two time olympic champion, 5x world champion with over 50 podiums in world cup events. The man can ski.

I like to think that if I had all the training he has had, the sponsorship, the time on the snow, the technical advice and the latest gear that I might be able to post videos that don't get used in "top 10 best ski fails",
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And there was I tuning into this thread thinking I would find a nice big slab of roast beef or pork.
snow report
@Hurtle, may have also escaped his attention that it's a completely empty piste and the chances of hitting another skier on an empty piste are statistically quite low
snow report
@dp, Laughing
snow report
Pfft... Ye call THAT carving? Ted Ligety? Ted Skid-turny more like!

http://vimeo.com/60497535

FFwd to 1:20 to avoid usual snow video nonsense.
[/troll]
snow conditions
stanton wrote:

Stop the Brutal Grooming

As much as it feels like eating someone else's vomit, I agree with Stanton to a point on this one, I do like carving but I recognise that there are significantly higher risks of collision with the technique.
Traditional skiing tends to be short turns in the fall line or slow and wide traverses. Carving involves high speed traverses almost 90' to the fall line with the risk of almost head on collisions between two skiers carving out of sync. The whole point of carving is that it is a very efficient turn that loses little of the skiers speed.
I normally avoid getting into a good carving routine unless the piste is virtually deserted
snow report
@tangowaggon, to some extent that is true of course but I still feel more threatened by people who ski too fast on firm pistes without committing to finding an edge properly but instead bank on belting down to where the piste flattens out and their limited skills and excess confidence will allow them to stop.
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:
... I do like carving but I recognise that there are significantly higher risks of collision with the technique.
Traditional skiing tends to be short turns in the fall line or slow and wide traverses. Carving involves high speed traverses almost 90' to the fall line with the risk of almost head on collisions between two skiers carving out of sync. The whole point of carving is that it is a very efficient turn that loses little of the skiers speed.
I normally avoid getting into a good carving routine unless the piste is virtually deserted
I see relatively few people carving clean turns, certainly on anything steeper than an easy blue piste. The problem with skiers who may cause collisions because they are skiing too fast is one of a lack of personal responsibility not an absence (or acquisition) of a particular skill. It has nothing to do with them being on race-inspired carving skis, or fat skis or rockered skis, etc. The skiers who frighten me the most are the ones straightlining the slope, then throwing in a sudden pivoted turn to change direction and possibly check their speed.
snow conditions
jedster wrote:
... I still feel more threatened by people who ski too fast on firm pistes without committing to finding an edge properly but instead bank on belting down to where the piste flattens out and their limited skills and excess confidence will allow them to stop.
Exactly the situation which led to me being airlifted to hospital last December. An out of control punter unable to control his speed on a firm piste was the problem, not the junior racers who were carving clean turns and skiing much quicker but were skilled (and respectful) enough to not be a danger to other slope users.
latest report
Quote:

The skiers who frighten me the most are the ones straightlining the slope, then throwing in a sudden pivoted turn to change direction and possibly check their speed.

Me too. My 2 last days up the Grands Montets I felt they should have "done something" - flat, smooth hard pack/ice (in places literally like an ice rink) and lots of people with no clue. I gave up for my own self preservation (off piste without going up glacier was refrozen melt).
ski holidays
I like to carve wide turns on my board, often putting a surfing-style "climb and drop" halfway across the face and before my heelside turn I sometimes kill a bit of speed by turning uphill. Of course, on a board you have a clear view uphill every other turn and I only use the piste like this when it's clear. However, in January I did end up in hospital after a concussion which I will never know the cause of. I had a blackout from 200m above the lift until being stood near the lift thinking "what just happened"? A bit of edge damage on my new board suggests someone hit me but they would have had to been straightlining very fast for me not to have seen them. It's also possible I just wiped out and hadn't noticed the damage.
ski holidays
Quote:

Me too. My 2 last days up the Grands Montets I felt they should have "done something" - flat, smooth hard pack/ice (in places literally like an ice rink) and lots of people with no clue. I gave up for my own self preservation (off piste without going up glacier was refrozen melt).

I've seen some of the worst offences from people (by which I mean young men, natch) demonstrating a worrying overestimation of their own ability (too bad to know how bad they are) on the red down to Argentiere from GM
ski holidays
Hmmm, @jedster, yes, that too. I try and stay off piste when descending, when possible.
snow report
@jedster, That run scares me. 4pm onwards every day you're running the gauntlet.
snow conditions
@dp, tbh any time of the day you can get caught.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, I agree that all times of day are potentially dangerous... just 4pm onwards is sort of, guaranteed dangerous. Like I don't think you can get from top to bottom after 4pm without seeing one or several idiots out of control yet firmly believing they're skiing properly
ski holidays
Bring back the 'Wedel' !
ski holidays
@dp, i just think it's worse!
snow conditions
tangowaggon wrote:
stanton wrote:

Stop the Brutal Grooming

As much as it feels like eating someone else's vomit, I agree with Stanton to a point on this one, I do like carving but I recognise that there are significantly higher risks of collision with the technique.

I have to agree with Ginge here but only because on his first outing on his new skis he found the edges a little too well and whilst I stood off the side of the piste waiting for him he caught an edge and I was a pubic hair away from being Tango'd by 6ft something out of control tangerine shouting sshhhiiiitttttttt!! Toofy Grin
latest report
jedster wrote:
@tangowaggon, to some extent that is true of course but I still feel more threatened by people who ski too fast on firm pistes without committing to finding an edge properly but instead bank on belting down to where the piste flattens out and their limited skills and excess confidence will allow them to stop.

I'm with you here!! I ski fast but never see the enjoyment in straight lining it!
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:
jedster wrote:

I'm with you here!! I ski fast but never see the enjoyment in straight lining it!

We all know someone who only does this. Happy

PS getting some new Gillette carvers for next year. 12m rad..... Ms Pelligrini watch out Happy
snow report
@GlasgowCyclops, MR GRRUUUUUUUUU Razz
snow conditions
albob wrote:
Bring back the 'Wedel' !
Hansi Hinterseer vs. Ted Ligety. Interesting idea.
ski holidays
PaulC1984 wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, MR GRRUUUUUUUUU Razz
Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
I'm going to miss the BB banter next season, I need to forget about finishing my house and start putting money aside for the psb, gnarbug, sopib and eosb snowHead
snow conditions
tangowaggon wrote:
I'm going to miss the BB banter next season, I need to forget about finishing my house and start putting money aside for the psb, gnarbug, sopib and eosb snowHead

only EOSB for me
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
......I see relatively few people carving clean turns, certainly on anything steeper than an easy blue piste. ....

Next season I am off to easiski at LDA to tidy up my skiing on steep slopes. I am with the concern on this thread about flat-lining skiers out of control. There were some around even on the blue Signal run at LDA last season. That's a delightful, wide open run - lots of room for all to do anything under control. But you can certainly build up speed, and the odd flat-liner kept me wary - and if someone as competent as you can get caught, even the most wary of us is at risk.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy