Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rude skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Out of interest what is the worst incounter you've had, being cut off etc?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are some very rude skiers on snowHeads. rolling eyes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ray Zorro, Sorry Blush OI ,, give the bloke(or Lady) a chance snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That Zorro's a troublemaker!

My worst encounter was with a foul-mouthed hooray Henry late teenager abusing the assistants in a Courchevel 1850 hire shop, in the presence of his supine father. An absolute disgrace to his country and the human race in general.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 7-02-06 23:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jstw wrote:
Out of interest what is the worst incounter you've had, being cut off etc?

Spending 18 minutes on my English mobile on hold waiting for France Telecom to answer and then being cut off Shocked 3 times!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ours was in Zermatt at the bus stop. 3 middle aged British men and their wives arrived at the bus stop after we did. They stood right infront of myself and SO and discussed how they would cordon off the queue to allow their wives and then themselves on first. This they achieved, much to our dismay and utter disbelief Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is very little more enjoyable than positioning your body in front of someone trying to skip the queue and then pretending not to understand a word they're saying. For me the worst encounter is tied between someone I treid to block getting on a bus in Chamonix as he was skipping sn entire queue that I'd been waiting in for 10 minutes. When I stood in his path he attempted to shove past using his shoulder, resulting in an elbow to his stomach and and a stream of foul mouthed obcenity at myself in english (he assumed I was french). It was funny when my younger brother told him to wee wee off though. Thank god there were at least 50 others there though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Two days ago, there was a 14-year-old boy who said "goddammit" loudly when we tried to put the safety bar down on a chairlift in Park City. His father, sitting next to him, appeared to condone the boy's rudeness. We took a vote, and four of us wanted the bar down, so down it came. (Obviously it was a 6-person chair.)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Couple of potentially bad moments involving my youngest daughter;both of which had an hilarious ending.
End of day at deux Alpes,going down a narrow,crowded path.Arrogant yoof comes through the throng,at speed,and rides over the tails of daughters skis,nearly knocking her for six!I let fly with suitable expletives Evil or Very Mad which he clearly understands,he turns with a two fingered gesture and catches an edge.Does an impressive somersault and vanishes over the edge.Naturally I slowed right down to extract the urine,along with about 20 other people.He was not happy Embarassed Laughing
Les Arcs.Old guy bombing down the slope,heading straight for youngest Shocked Luckily she spots him just in time,and dodges out of the way.He carries on,clearly out of control,off the edge and straight into a plastic fence.I'm there in 2sec's flat.He's shaken but unhurt,so I let fly.Turns out he's French,but in no doubt how I feel Twisted Evil Much apology in Fronglaise.As I turn to go,there are two piste patrollers watching all this(seems they witnessed the near miss)As I go,they move in,and he gets it all over again.No language barrier this time.Priceless Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Had a skier shouting at us in a busy lift queue (really don't know why) I think he'd mistaken the guy I was with for somebody else.

Anyway, when we got to the top he was waiting and rugby tackled said guy and knocked me flying. Had to threaten to call the pisteurs and thought it was going to come to fistycuffs.

Not very nice Mad

Meg Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh, and does my friend count as a rude skier.

He lost it a bit re-emerging from the trees and bumped into the top skier of a line of stationary skiers on a lesson who apparently all went down like dominos.

He said it was hilarious and was all OK because they were British and very gentlemanly about it all and could see the funny side.

Meg
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I made a formal complaint to the Lift co. office at Barzettes in Montana 2 weeks ago. We were on an open piste with tiny slalom markers on the side. We were physically harrassed and verbally abused, until we skied off our line by a competitive dad, whose validation for his actions were and I quote "a child is coming"...So that will be someone, somewhere, behind us then. A punch up was in the offing, two of us v him. He skied off and I went to the offices of the lift co, where they confirmed that he had no authority,( ie. no official standing, no club, no reservation of the slope, no netting etc) that all the piste was open to all, and that his actions would be dealt with. Needless to say, the child in question was seen head in hands and looking embarrassed and appalled by daddyo's antics. Priceless. Still that level of physical aggression, performed by an arrogant local, is enough to put me off going back to a resort, and I advised the lift co. accordingly.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowbunny, I don't know that piste - but do you mean that he'd set up some mini-gates off to one side, presumably for the purpose of informal instruction? Was he obstructing the piste?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch wrote:
snowbunny, I don't know that piste - but do you mean that he'd set up some mini-gates off to one side, presumably for the purpose of informal instruction? Was he obstructing the piste?
If he'd stuck in some slalom stubbies down one side of a public piste I guess the lift company would have had a few words to say to him.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Oh, and does my friend count as a rude skier.

I'd say yes. Call me grumpy if you like but I have known people get bad knee ligament damage from very slow falls caused by someone pushing them over or accidently colliding with them. I love to ski, cycle and run and I would NOT be laughing if your mate did that to anyone in my party. Equally if I did make such a mistake I would be giving grovelling apologies.

J
snow conditions
David Murdoch, The piste is called "National", and leads directly to Barzettes/Violettes
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, If it's not getting in anyone's way (obviously usual caveats about safety, etc. applying) & it's just a few mini-poles to let a kid ski round (presumably at slow speed) to practice turning etc. & maybe he'd informally asked the pisteurs if it was OK, then why would anyone take issue?

Although any piste called "Nationale" sounds like a competition slope and probably steeper than you'd use to practice snowplough turns with a 5 year old... wink

snowbunny, do you mean Violettes or Violents wink
latest report
chaletarc, I'm not sure I'd necessarily use "rude"...

"Out of control", "dangerous", "reckless", (and others...) all come to mind though. I'm not sure I'd have been terribly gentlemanly about it!
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, If it's not getting in anyone's way (obviously usual caveats about safety, etc. applying) & it's just a few mini-poles to let a kid ski round (presumably at slow speed) to practice turning etc. & maybe he'd informally asked the pisteurs if it was OK, then why would anyone take issue?

Indeed, but from snowbunny's post I guess we can assume he did get in the way of the paying public, and that he might not have cleared it informally with pisteurs? I'm all in favour of having training gates available for use (especially informal use by punters like me), but not if it leads to the kind of incident that snowbunny described.
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, for sure, although not knowing snowbunny, that might be a bit of a heroic assumption wink

Yeah, too few training gates for ounters - I agree. Whatever happened to the publis ski tests that used to be all over the place. There even apparently used to be a "Ski Open" DOWNHILL in Avoriaz (before my time). I would suggest insurance issues but not after seeing the preposterous rail slides in Lindarets last week. Got to be a recipe for litigation!
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
There even apparently used to be a "Ski Open" DOWNHILL in Avoriaz

Shocked Shocked That would have made for some entertainment - watching punters try to kill themselves, rather than actually skiing it, of course.
ski holidays
I was having a lesson in C1850 last week, we were stopped and the instructor was explaining something with the aid of a diagram on the snow and two 50-something French women skied right through his diagram.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

rob@rar.org.uk, for sure, although not knowing snowbunny, that might be a bit of a heroic assumption

Please understand that I was sufficiently traumatised to refuse to ski that slope for 2 days following, and spent one evening in tears with a crisis of confidence, and that this man used his size and close proximity on skis to deliberately intimidate me..and that the last person to run into me on skis broke my collarbone, one slip by him or me, would have caused a collision. Now my SO, on the otherhand
snow conditions
Chamonix full stop! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
We were queuing in Verbier 20 year ago , 10 - 15 minute line (those were the days, eh?) and a man in a very flourescent one piece took off his skis and walke through the line, over other peoples skis, clipped them on at the front and pushed to the gates. Some-one took umbrage and shoulder barged him over the rope and into a small gulley full of soft snow where he struggled for some time, whilst the queue laughed, applauded and looked on...

It was behaviour like that and the C@*p lift system that has stopped me from ever going back. May all be better now though - you tell me
ski holidays
Martin: I agree with you about Verbier. It's a truly pretentious and ego-centric place to go skiing. The lifts have improved a little but for the 'average' skier this is not the place to be. Part of the problem lies in the fact that many people (a lot of them Brits) think they're Seth whatshisname and believe they can do whatever they like on the mountain and in the resort. If you're a poser, care about your image and want to be part of the 'in-crowd' then this sort of place might apply to you. However, the resort has simply over-extended itself on a massive scale, is laughably expensive, stuffed full of atrocious bars and 'urbane' restaurants and deludes itself in thinking that it's a massive piste skiers destination-it's not. That said, if you can ski off piste, can deal with all the nonsense and hype that surrounds it, you might actually get something out of it. I found staying in Haute-Nendaz to be far more preferable.
ski holidays
I wasn't trying to condone his actions - just relating a story!

Sorry if I've offended anyone.

He's not really a nutter. He's usually a complete gentleman. I guess he got it wrong that day. And I'm sure he appoligised profusely.

Whilst on the subject, I once saw someone hit a small girl flying and race off. The little girl went over hard and appeared to be hurt so I went over to help her. On reflection I should have taken note of what he was wearing etc but I was more concerned about the child. Her family then came over and thought I'd hit her EEEK Shocked and went absolutely mental at me. I tried to explain what had happened but they were having none of it. In the end, the only thing to do was get out of there - it was awful. If I could have reported the guy to the pisteurs I would have done but I really wouldn't have been able to describe him other than he was wearing red (like a million others) - people like that should be shot!

Meg Mad
latest report
chaletarc, certainly didn't offend me chaletarc, I still don't think your chum was being rude!

snowbunny, you do have my sympathy - and I certainly don't want you to think I wanted to demean your reputation.

I do know from experience that when you're trying to run your gates/exercies/whatever it can be mighty annoying when people run through them so without knowing more details, it's difficult to comment. It certainly sounds as though the guy was a right royale prat and you didn't deserve to have you holiday partially (?) ruined like that!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch,
Quote:

snowbunny, you do have my sympathy - and I certainly don't want you to think I wanted to demean your reputation.

Thanks, I'm sure I will get over it, maybe I should start fighting back, be a little less passive Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
snowbunny, now now fighting gets you nowhere.. i must admit i have only ever seen one arguement on the slopes n that was in france when an instructor with kids tried to get one of his group on a 4 man lift with a bloke who had his own three kids with him already..
aprst from that pretty much everything els ehas been sweetness n light .. except for austrian/german blokes inability to move when your trying to get in and out of a boozer.. not sure what that is all about, seems to be some kind of sport for them.
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON,
Quote:

snowbunny, now now fighting gets you nowhere..

So, do you suggest that the aggressors should be allowed to continue with their behaviour unchecked Puzzled
snow report
snowbunny, sometimes is best to just ignore them, let em rant, its their blood pressure, just laugh at them..
if of course they start pushing or shoving then you can stab em with a ski pole. wink
latest report
CANV CANVINGTON, I was considering if I had enough power to swing a ski hard enough at head/neck height to make my point effectively Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
I sometimes ski with the drop-seat part of my salopettes open, does this make me a rude skier, i really want to belong to some kinda club. Little Angel
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, what kind of club, exactly?
ski holidays
richmond, Oh i dont know, you know the kinda thing, you turn up to a meeting and the first thing on the agenda is the date of the next meeting, then you talk pish for a couple of hours go home to the wife, happy having given her a good reason to have to go out. That kind of club. Little Angel
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, The chapped backside club?
ski holidays
snowbunny, I shoot any chap that got close to my backside. Little Angel
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
Quote:

snowbunny, I shoot any chap that got close to my backside

What with? Little Angel
snow report
snowbunny, My 'BUNNY RIFLE'....................... Little Angel
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy