Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anybody been to Solden??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi I'm a newbie here Very Happy

I've just booked a hol in Solden Austria in March and apart from knowing that I'll probably be the only brit there, there is a good nightlife and the snow should be ok, I dont know a lot really Puzzled

I'm an intermediate boarder so I'm after doing some nice blues n reds. I'm staying 300m from the Giggijoch station.

So what are the best runs for the day and bars for the night and any no no's

Any other info like nice resteraunts, things to do, night skiing etc

Any advice would be really helpfull. Thank you very much snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chuters, Welcome to snowHead
I've never been to Solden, I'm afraid... but the sensible ones that know what they're talking about are usually around in the mornings Little Angel
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Michelle Little Angel
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
chuters, Went to Soelden in April of last year. Top resort. Will definitely return at some point.

* Very good lift infrastructure. Lots of modern gondolas (just watch out for helicopters and slabs of concrete), and fast detachable hooded chairlifts.
* Lively Austrian apres-ski. Good selection of bars/restaurants.
* Failry attractive village (certainly compared to French purpose built attrocities).
* 3 skiable peaks above 3000m and 2 glaciers makes it snow sure until late into the season.
* Mainly a germanic resort, but you certanily won't be the only English people.
* In terms of pistes, the tree lines runs into the village on the left of the piste map were quality. There was also a nice off-piste trail running down the middle of the ski-map (sorry don't have map to hand, just remember where they were). On the whole the runs were well maintained and pretty good throughout.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just back from a weekend in Solden with 9 guys. It is a great resort in terms of skiing. Do the high runs up towards the glacier area as soon as you get a good day, we were there for 3 days and didn't have one when there was any visability up to. However there are some great runs lower down, black 7 is a fantastic wide black (in my opion a red) down through the trees to the village. Also black 3 above the mid station is great fun. Typical Austrian resort in terms of night life, great apres (just follow the music) one in particular in the middle of the town, kind of open air bar under one of those umbrella tents really great fun. Good resturants if you look hard, village is also full of strip joints if that is your thing. If you are driving be careful at night the local cops are tough on drink driving. On the down side, the ski bus seems verry erratic and is jammed full when one finally arrives. The village is also very strung out...you certainly can't walk from one end to the other. Ful of germans and dutch, but in my opinion they are great fun people so I see that as good. Enjoy the trip, the skiing and boarding is really top notch.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm a Solden fan - been there about 10 times over the last 20 years and was there in january. There's not much to add to what Kamikaze and Nigels say. It's a big, well developed ski area. I'm not a boarder but I can say that Solden looks to be a good boarding area - lots of nice wide runs and a 'boarder park' with half-pipe and so on. As a skier when staying on the giggijoch side of town, my big treat is to go up to Rotekogel Hutte in the late afternoon and wait till most people have gone down - then you can have a nice long run all the way down to Solden with the mountain going cool and quiet and you almost have it to yourself!

You should have a great time. Are you going with a tour operator? If so who? Which hotel?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey guys thanks a bunch for all that information thats been a great help.

Kamikaze, wot do you mean Helicopters? Puzzled and that off piste bit sounds cool is it the bit in the dead centre to right of glaciers?? heres the map http://ext.soelden.com/skimap_popup/images/skimap.jpg Also tree lined stuff sounds cool i love boarding amongst trees

Nigels, I have heard quite a bit about the lap dancing and all my mates have had to pull out of hol so I'm going on my own so even tho I dont usually go to strip joints thats gonna be a major test of will power rolling eyes

Peter Wright,
Quote:

my big treat is to go up to Rotekogel Hutte in the late afternoon and wait till most people have gone down - then you can have a nice long run all the way down to Solden with the mountain going cool and quiet and you almost have it to yourself!

Was hoping i could do that as im not far from the Giggijoch station. I'm going with Neilson and I'm staying at the Pension Fiegl hotel Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chuters

Looks like Pension Fiegl is quite well situated. You're on the opposite side of the river to the main street so your house should be fairly quiet but a short walk to the action. If you haven't booked half board, you should find plenty of restaurants close by.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter Wright wrote:
Chuters

Looks like Pension Fiegl is quite well situated. You're on the opposite side of the river to the main street so your house should be fairly quiet but a short walk to the action. If you haven't booked half board, you should find plenty of restaurants close by.

Thanks Peter how have you found info on the location Puzzled I've been looking everywhere but all i know is its 300m from the Giggijoch
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chuters

I got that from an accommodation brochure I picked up in the tourist office on a previous trip. However, you may find something on the Solden website www.soelden.com. There's accommodation list, ski maps, etc plus webcams, weather, runs and lifts open.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Again Peter

Yeah been on the site and found some great info like town maps and weather reports n stuff but no info on pension fiegl. Look sorry to be a real pain in the ass but could you post the address name of the Pension Fiegl when you get 2 mins just so I can get an idea of where exactly it is and how far it is from places??

Thanks again mate

Paul
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy