Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic Metron B5's...sizing question.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just bought these skis in 162cm length under advisement of salesperson and Atomic's online ski measurement guide. I'm 188lb., 6'1", and although I'm no expert, I consider myself a Type III at age 37 with room to grow (hence my desire to find a "one ski quiver." I took them out yesterday on a mixture of snow and loved the overall ski however I think they're just a little too small and should have gotten the 172 instead. Has anyone else skiied these or have suggestions? I haven't heard back from Atomic (emailed them this same question), but they have this Metron buying program that allows you to return them for another same priced Atomic ski if not happy. So why not be able to up the size under this program? I have until 2-15-06 or three times skiing on them (which ever comes first) to decide.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rx4pain, Welcome to snowHead

I haven't used them but the consensus on here is that they are the right lenght in that type of ski.
You really have to be a big lump to use the 172....... and people I know who did try the 172 at around your dimensions were really disappointed with it...

So although this is not first hand knowledge I would be surprised if any of the b5 users on here would say you have the wrong lenght...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the quick response...glad to have found this site. I think I just needed to hear that the old school ski lengths are in the past and perhaps I should let go of my youthful 203 Atomic Arc SL's in metallic blue and 210 K2 Velocity's and get with the times. I loved how they skiied. I did notice some instability on icy cat tracks and thought it was just the small size (probably my tired legs and my reluctance to admit I might have been leaning back a bit and resting).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You better eat your weetabix before your start carrying those babies around
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a pair of B5s in 162cm length. I'm 170lb. and 5'8". Although I've not used them in a wide range of conditions (only skied them for about 6 days in total so far this season) I think that the 162 feels about right for me. They're a lot of fun on grippy pistes and I guess the width in tip and tail will help float them a bit in deep snow. I wasn't too impressed with their grip on ice, although I didn't think that was anything to do with (a lack) of length.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rx4pain, the 162 is the right length for you. I'm 175lb, 6', and ski at a quite high level (not sure what to call it, but ask some of the folks here who have seen me ske--like Comprex). I ski the 162. Just keep 'em on a bit of an edge. They will go fast, tight, slow, and even soft-edge (I taught a mogul clinic on them today and will again tomorrow).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
152cm for me, though I'm a long shorter at 5'5 and only 67kg, was a bit apprehensive when I bought these but determined to try going short (i'd tried them on some easy summer skiing on the Kaprun glacier). In practice these skies are superb, skied like a maniac at times in Zermatt the other week and these skis were rock solid, didn't matter what piste condition or steepness, they held on wherever I went and would carve down anything I wanted to, most surprising was the straight line schussing which I thought would be a no-no, turned out to be perfectly ok even at some ridiculous speeds, the tips would float very slightly at times but the skis always felt perfectly stable. All in all, highly recommended, even in what seems like absurdly short lengths. NB lot easier to negotiate in lift queues and not nearly as heavy as rumoured.

AW
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AlpineWalker, that seems the right size for you, as well. The 152 would be too short at 188 lbs, though, I think.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rx4pain, 162 sounds about right. Sizing the Metron is a little different to the norm, stick with the atomic calculator, they have put the time and research into getting it right for you. Stay with it and enjoy. Bob
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy