Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for work in resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone!

I have looked through the archive, but can't really find a definitive answer.

Myself and my wife would like to do a season, we have our own camper, so wouldn't need accommodation. Is it possible to just rock up just before the season starts and look for work? Anyone had any experience of this?

We also have two dogs so will be hard to find accommodation that would allow pets!

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@WhiskeyJack, depends where you're going and what work you're looking for.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My first pick would me Morzine/Avoriaz, but would be happy with Val D/Tignes or Trois Vallées, might venture into Austria. Would be our first season so I would be happy with any work. I am a furniture maker and farmer I also make surfboards and teach surfing in the summer, my wife is a vet.

I guess I'm just curious to hear some anecdotal evidence of people doing this kind of thing before, or do people always have employment lined up before they arrive?

We are both hard workers and have been running our own businesses for the last few years, we just decided to rent out our house and go on a bit of an adventure!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Check out Morzine crew talk to me on facebook.
I think a few landlords would let well behaved dogs with responsible dog owners rent no problem but some people do park up campervans in Morzine.
Part time driving job is ok for slope time but if your handy then handy man role/maintenance job could be an idea.
Try these lot for chalet companies in Morzine who probably need drivers/handyperson & hosts........
AlyKats, RS Chalet collection, Skiology, Mountain Mavericks, Riders refuge, More Mountain, Chilly Powder, The Great escape, The Mountain lodge company
Driver jobs, Skiidy gonzales, Ski-Lifts, Powder Cab, AlpNav etc
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@@247snowman, Thank you for the reply, really appreciate it. The dogs are pretty well behaved, so hopefully we can find a landlord that won't mind.
I would prefer a handyman/driver job, just because it's what I'm used to, but we are both pretty open to do anything. I will work my way through the list, thanks again!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Plenty of people just rock up for a season, I've done it before (although I had worked in the resort previous seasons for chalet companies so knew my way around/had contacts). It's the parking you may find a little more difficult for the camper van if you're looking outside of caravan sites. The facebook groups for the various resorts are a very good starting point, both as a source of information over the years and for finding work.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are going to live full time in your camper you will need to stay on an "aire de camping car" (with electric hookup) at about €12-15 per night, or on a campsite at over double that (more in Austria).

There is a small campsite in Morzine but the aire in Les Gets isn't adequate for a long term stay. There are neither in Val d'Isere /Tignes. There is a large aire with ehu in Les Menuires and a new one in La Plagne, others at La Tania, Alpe d'Huez and Valloire. There are other campsites convenient for the village/lifts at Le Grand Bornand, Samoens and Les Contamines.

There are plenty of other aires in great spots but you will really struggle to stay put on them for more than 3 or 4 days without a generator and a convenient servicepoint.

ps Campsites will get booked up for holiday periods months in advance and you would need to be in an aire with ehu long before any holiday week as they are first come.

pps you will need a regular supply of local gas bottles which is easy on a campsite but would have to be checked in advance for the aires, eg the closest to La Plagne are down in the valley and you might lose your place whilst driving down to get replacements. Reckon on 5-6 days per bottle if up high.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BoardieK, top post!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BoardieK, Thanks for the reply, great info! I have been to Morzine a few times and noticed vans parked up, that's one of the reasons Morzine would be my first choice. I've been looking a lot on searchforsites.co.uk, and the aire in Les Gets is pretty well reviewed, but yes I guess it's best to move around, which is fine for us, we actually live in the van full time in the UK, so we're pretty used to that!
We have a large solar array to power led lights and the propex heater, and charge the iPad occasionally! I have an EHU, but we have never used it, we actually generate more power than we can store in our two 240AH batteries, so I might add a couple more to the bank before we leave. Our gas is LPG which is refilled at petrol stations, so no gas bottle exchange! It's 11kg and I installed it in October and haven't refilled it since! But I'm expecting to use more at altitude and with the heater going!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BoardieK, no offence dude, but you are definitely coming at it from the "luxury" end of the seasonnaire camper spectrum!

All sorts of people doing seasons in home-made vans with no electric hook up, generator or other facilities. The Sainte Foy trailer-park crew are pretty legendary and the "aire de camping car" is nothing more than a flat bit of ground which is a pain in the ar$e to get in/out of in the winter (steep slope in/out).

The most common tactic is to put a wood-burning stove in your van.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

We've got work to do. Come and help us Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stevomcd, Yeah, we're used to roughing it, and we don't need much in the way of facilities, just a toilet and occasional shower! If anyone has any good strategies for getting cheap or free showers in resort I would love to hear! We thought about the wood burning stove, but went for the gas instead as it's instant and readily available! Easier to regulate the temperature too! Can't beat a wood burner though!
@Peter S, I like a bit of spade work, what are you up to Peter?[/img]
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@WhiskeyJack, Hiya, we spend all of Jan and Feb in the Alps each winter so have good experience of the realities. Our truma heating alone takes about 30Ah per day out of our deep cycle gel batteries, propex might take more, not sure. On a sunny day our 80w panel will produce about 10Ah total, we have a 50A battery to battery charger and generally move every 5/7 days but will have to run the engine to charge after 4 days stationary. If it's cloudy for a week it doesn't matter how many panels you have.

We also have one refillable but it's next to useless in most ski resorts. French lpg is 50% butane which won't boil off below freezing so in a worst case scenario (-20 night -10 day) you will get 2 days out of your full bottle, drive 40 miles there and back to refill it then get one more night before before you have a bottle full of unusable butane. You will need local bottles, I carry two. Don't get the cheaper main supermarket own brand bottles, go for Antargaz, Finagaz or Butagaz which you generally find in ski resort village stores.

I was sort of assuming from your OP that you were going to stay put working in one village which is why I suggested one of the better equipped aires or a campsite. The service point at Les Gets, for instance, is not on site although there is a wastepoint in the shed. Collecting fresh water from several hundred yards away is an evening chore, I have a 20litre container and one of those collapsible trolleys which is also handy for lugging gas bottles around on.

Although the motorhomeski.com website is not used anymore there are a lot of good tips on there, well worth a read.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 23-06-17 18:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stevomcd, Yeah, we turned up there a few years ago and found the aire "inaccessible"; stopped in the big carpark further up for a few nights instead. We'd met a guy from the Dingle in a vdub with a wood burner at Les Brevierres just beforehand, he had to leave the sliding door ajar when it was going!

edit Bumped into him again a few days later in La Rosiere, look at the size of that stove pipe!

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Love it!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy