Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl/Serfaus/Mayrhofen - cheeky long weekender

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks
Looking to go a couples long weekend - Fri to Tue in early March (2nd weekend). Most of us are competent skiers, but my sister is a bit nervous, so would need a resort with easyish runs to resort. The plan is that on Tuesday, the boys will head off to St Anton for a few more days Toofy Grin , the girls will head home. We would like somewhere close to Innsbruck/St Anton to cut down on travel. All of us do like to apres, so will need to be a resort with decent apres.
Was thinking Obergurgl, Serfaus or Mayrhofen. Realise that our choice of days will restrict a lot of choices for us.
One of the couples will have been in Mayrhofen in January and we will be in Kappl early Jan - so will probably rule out Ischgl and to a lesser extent Mayhofen. Looking for half board and ideally somewhere close to lifts/runs.
Can anyone recommend any hotels that do non Sat-Sat stays or even another resort.
FYI - I am also considering Stuben/Lech too, but that may be a bit too pricey.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Piggy backing but I need similar advice for a lads weekend - Thurs thru Sunday
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mayrhofen has no fully pisted runs down to resort on the Penken side (you can make your way down under the Horbergbahn but it's snow dependent and not a full piste), though there's plenty of nice easy runs once you're up. Apres is good. Not St Anton style, but good.

Gasthof Zillertal does non sat-sat stays but is a hostel with dorm beds. It's not luxury...

Zell im Zillertal is worth a look too, same valley as Mayrhofen, great ski area, and free train links to Mayrhofen on the lift pass.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ODG, Thanks. Couple of the peeps like their luxury, so the hostel will probably not work for them - fine for me but not for them.

Have got a couple of places that can do the dates for us in Obergurgl, both of which look very nice. What is the skiing like there? As stated above, my sister is a very nervous skier and only really likes blues (the rest of us are fine with pretty much anything but I will need to look after my big sis). Also, what is the apres like in Obergurgl? Have read on here before that one of the venues is up there amongst the best - pumpin apres kasefest is fine for us Toofy Grin - is that on mountain or in resort?

Saalbach/Hinterglemm would be an obvious choice as the skiing will suit my sister down to the ground, as would the apres, but ideally want to be close(ish) to St Anton for the boys trip
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skiing is superb in Serfaus but it is very much a family scene and the apres is limited by Austrian standards. Have you considered Soelden? Runs to resort of pretty boring but not too challenging, lively Apres.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd say Obergurgl is fine for nervous skiers. Easiest skiing is on the Hochgurgl side but it's easy enough to get the gondola across. Run down to the gondola on the Obergurgl side can be slightly tricky in poor viz but as long as someone competent was happy to lead your sister down she'd be fine.

Another alternative for a short-break in that area would be Nauders. Small area but great variety including a long blue down to base and some fun off-piste in the trees. Gondola base station is about a mile outside the town but most of the hotels run their own mini-buses up and back on demand. You just phone when you're in the gondola and they're waiting at the bottom. Pretty quiet for après in the town (but then so is Obergurgl) but a couple of great huts on the mountain.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for Soelden if you can get accommodation.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What's wrong with Serfaus Fiss Ladis. Almost certainly you can get short term accommodation in Landeck if you have a car and once we stayed in a very nice apartment up the hill in Fliess for buttons on a long weekend and drove to St Anton each day. As long as designated driver didn't drink we enjoyed all the apres.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

As long as designated driver didn't drink we enjoyed all the apres.

Never going to work for us Toofy Grin
Looks like we are going to stuben. Great hotel ive stayed at before about €500 a couple cheaper than Obergurgl.
Thanks folks for the good input
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd second Serfaus - certainly not going to be as lively St Anton but there were plenty drunken dutch when I was there and there are a few decent apres venues. Skiing is superb and caters for those wanting easier runs too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy