Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling all Francophones

Poster: A snowHead
As SnowHeads discussions have clearly concluded, when skiing in France, it is highly advisable to have the local 'insurance' known as "carre neige" to ensure you can get off the hill without parting with loadsa cash if something bad befalls (no pun intended) you. Anyone who doesn't know about it (newbies, etc) should check some of the threads on the subject.

So, to my question for the Francophones among you....with apologies for the lack of acutes & graves which my keyboard doesn't seem to have Confused

I have my pre-booked liftpass in my sweaty palm and I approach the caisse to buy my 'carre neige'. In my shamefully bad skoolboy French, I mumble, "Je voudrais la / le carre neige pour six jours, s'il vous plait, Madame" (let's assume it's a Mme in the caisse rolling eyes ). Is carre neige masculine or feminine and have I phrased my question correctly - or have I just asked her to carry me from the mountain on six consecutive days??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't worry they will understand you. But it is known as a 'Carte Neige" and " Je voidre achete" would be better.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry Red Leon, it should be 'acheter'.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chris, isn't Carte neige the annual policy. Red Leon, just say 'Je voudrais acheter un forfait 6 jours avec assurances'. Don't worry too much about masculine and feminine etc, the French don't tend to emphasise them much when speaking anyway.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chris,

Do you mean 'voudre'? Is 'voudrais' the wrong grammatical-type word?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
chris, isn't Carte neige the annual policy.

Yes. Carre Neige is the policy that you get for the duration of your ski pass.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Vouloir is the infinitive form of the verb "to want"

"Je voudrais" is thw first peson form meanign "I want", or since the actual interpretation is more polite, "I would like"
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Voudrais it is, again sorry. Helen, I've only ever bought a Carte Neige, so you may be right.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen Beaumont,

Is "..un forfait 6 jours avec assurances" a liftpass with carre neige? I already have my liftpass so I only want the assurance. Thanks for the le / la tip - I always thought it was critical!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
nbt wrote:
Vouloir is the infinitive form of the verb "to want"

"Je voudrais" is thw first peson form meanign "I want", or since the actual interpretation is more polite, "I would like"

Actually "Je veux" is the first person present, "I want". "Je voudrais", "I would like" is the conditional.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Red Leon, most french people will be impressed that you're making an effort. I am supposedly fluent in french ( I have an honours degree) and I stil make the odd mistake - they either let it slide as they havben;t noticed, or correct me by emphasising the correct gender when they speak)

Oh and for the record it's le carré neige (to get the acute accent, hold "Alt Gr" while pressing "e",it usually next to the space bar)

http://www.carreneige.com/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian, Blush Blush

You are correct of course. It;s been too long since I thought about it
snow report
 brian
brian
Red Leon, how about, "J'ai déja acheté un forfait pour 6 jours, pourriez-vous me vendre l'assurance, s'il vous plait ?"

I have already bought a 6 day lift pass, can you sell me insurance, please ?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
nbt, oops, I think I may have had a grandmother + eggs moment there Embarassed
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian,

Very elegant, Sir. However, the more words involved, the less chance I have of getting what I want, I fear!! I think I'll show my liftpass at the caisse and stick to my original question (with the possible addition of the verb 'acheter' so it makes more sense. Blush
ski holidays
From my experience, I think that 'A 6 day pass and some skiing insurance, please.' should do it. 'By the way d'you fancy a bevvy when you knock off?' may be added if appropriate.
latest report
Is it possible to buy the carre neige policy seperately from a (pre-purchased) lift pass?
snow report
richmond, Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk,

This will make me look very silly after a discussion like this Embarassed but..I bought my liftpass last year from the TO and went to the office and bought the carre neige separately - all in English. This year, I'm off to Val Cenis where I gather little (or no) English is spoken by the natives - hence my desire to clarify the appropraite wording for my question. i don't want to be carried off the mountain before my holiday even starts Laughing

Anyway, it's been a pleasant little thread so far
snow conditions
Red Leon, if you fancy learning or just brushing up on your French, the Michel Thomas course is excellent (you can usually pick it up cheaper on ebay)
ski holidays
Red Leon,

Having just returned from the Pyrenees, where very little English is spoken (and a lot of the locals actually prefer Catalan to French!) I can assure you that many people will find the 'Je voudrais acheter...' superfluous. A smile, a friendly 'bonjour', and straight in with 'un carre neige pour 6 jours, s'il vous plait' will more than suffice. I learned this by lurking at the back of the caisse and eavesdropping on the french! snowHead
ski holidays
rainman, I think I would agree with you there, precisely grammatically correct French is not needed, most speak the same way we would speak English.
snowHead
snow conditions
The woman in the agency understood my "Je suis trés desolée mais nous avons perdu le clé (sp.?) pour l'appartement..."

Reply: "NON! Cinquante franc, s'il vous plait"

B*gger
latest report
Sharkymark, oh dear, I know the security keys we have for our apartment have to be specially ordered and cost a fortune. (If anyone knows how I get some replacements for Vachette VIP keys, i'd be grateful)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Red Leon, Carte Neige is valid for a year worldwide. It is low cost but needs careful reading to ensure all is valid.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, in another thread a while ago, we were warned that the repatriation after injury abroad is only valid for French residents?
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, May well be true, it's been a few years since i had one. As i say read the conditions, however i'd rather be repaired in any other country than blighty. Little Angel
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I trained Jon (who wants to do A-level French) in "J'ai perdu mon forfait." at Deux Alpes. They had it and returned it to him. I was impressed. Nice place. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, perhaps if i buy my Carte neige I can be asked to be repatriated to my flat in Serre Chevalier, then I can recuperate with a beautiful view.
Chris Bish, Richard is now doing A-level French, lots of political discussion, french culture, current affairs etc involved. He's actually thinking (as he does German too) that he may not have time to come skiing at Easter, too much work to do for the speaking exams in the AS level. As Adam also has GCSE's , it may curtail our plans a bit.
snow conditions
But where better to do French speaking than France? That won't do! Not sure we can go yet either......

snowHead
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, feel free to read the conditions, in English, here.

Should you know anyone who needs a carte neige, please note that all sums generated in the sale of this insurance on MySnowSports go to the benefit of a sporting association and MySnowSports receives not so much as a centime. Helen Beaumont, the carte neige insurance repatriates EU citizens to their home country. All in the T&Cs. But only if you possess a two-way travel ticket - air etc - and have not spent more than 31 consecutive days in a resort. All here (bottom of page).
latest report
Helen Beaumont, actually rereading the T&Cs I think EU citizens are fully covered and the above exclusions don't apply. It seems to be non-EU citizens that are subject to this exclusion.
snow report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Sharkymark, oh dear, I know the security keys we have for our apartment have to be specially ordered and cost a fortune. (If anyone knows how I get some replacements for Vachette VIP keys, i'd be grateful)

Hah French locks. I replaced my nearly impossible to get replacement keys for locks with some 7 lever tumbler costing 50 Francs. It is not like your average crowbar toting thieff is a master locksmith these days. What is the problem with the little cows Helen? Is it the cost or can you simply not get replacements? Normally backstreet locksmiths can get any key whether you have the right docs or not.
ski holidays
davidof, the thing is the key unlocks ALL the locks ,front door, ski locker,door to ski room, cellar , and eventually the changing room for the swimming pool. Everywhere we tried has said 'NON'. (or 'no' as we tried an English locksmith too) . They'll obviously be expensive, but I can't really go around changing thefront door lock lock as it's communal.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, the key for our apartment is similar. I understand that it is possible to get additional keys from the lock manufacturer by quoting the unique reference number on the key (although I've not done this myself). I tried to get additional keys cut in the UK and the couple of places I took the key to said they couldn't get the blanks for a "security key" like that. Have you tried the managing agent for your apartment building?
snow report
...fortunately we only lost 1 of 2 and it wasn't the one with the padlock key to the ski cage. Elle etera ne joyeaux pas...
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, we don't even have the details of the managing agent yet. I did try calling the company when we came back in January, but they said we needed to take our documents (I have a registration card) to the locksmith who would order them for us, the locksmith in Briancon said they couldn't get them we would ahve to get them direct.
ski holidays
Quote:

" Je voidre achete"

Laughing
I think not! Usually it goes like this:

Lift pass lady: "Avec ou sans assurance?"
You: "Sans, svp."
snow conditions
Lizzard, does Luc have his carte neige ? Do you live in a blue house ? wink
ski holidays
[quote="Lizzard"]
Quote:
Lift pass lady: "Avec ou sans assurance?"
You: "Sans, svp."

Very nice, Lizzard but I'm trying to buy assurance 'sans forfait' rather than the other way around rolling eyes

Anyway, I think we've sorted out roughly what to say. Thanks to all - Francophones and others

Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy