Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Advice (Volkl Allstar)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

New here, congratulations for the great forum.
I'm an 18yr guy 6'1, 165 pounds, Lange 120 FR boots. Looking to upgrade my Volkl AX2 (170cm). I’ve skied about 30 weeks, 14 seasons. I like to ski fairly aggressively, medium radius turns, mostly on-piste blacks (80/20) in Europe. I’m heading to Zermatt next week (looks like hard-pack all over), and need to put together a demo list. Only have a week, so won't have time for too many skis. Currently i'm thinking:

Volkl Allstar (168cm ???) - Is this too much ski for me?
Hot Rod Modified
Stoeckli Stormrider XL - Again worried about it being too stiff/demanding

Any thougts, advice, or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You have it about right, I think. The Allstar is a hero ski; I suspect you'll love it. The Modified and Top Fuel are really great skis, as well, and you've likely skied enough to really get a lot out of them. The Eliminator may also be a good choice (and is the value of the Hot Rod line, IMO).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
goltim,
I'm a Stockli fan and the XL isn't a ski to doodle about on. There is no point having it for that, get something else if thats what you want to do. If you can drive it you will be rewarded. The stiffness is your friend as it will demolish the hardpack but in softsnow you have to make an adjustment to stop it diving. Shouldn't be a problem in softish snow but there are other skis that are more helpful, but they will not hold the ice as well. The Legend 8000 and the XL are my favourite all round skis so far. If its a powder day rent fatter for that day...

ssh, Long time no hear.. Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey, JT, it's been a while! Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skied the Hot Rod Modifieds in Sestriere a couple of weeks back and really enjoyed them. I was limited to the skis availble to try. I want a ski that I can ski agreesively when I'm with the lads and take it easy when with the wife. The Hot Rods did it perfectly, got to try them on hardpack and ice at the start of the week and knee deep powder by the end and they worked great in all conditions. Outskied my brother on his Atomic Metron's M11 too which is a bonus.

I tried 4 different skis as recommended by the guy in the hire shop
Hot Rod Modifieds - Really Enjoyed
Volkl Superspeed - Too stiif, good for skiing aggressively but hard work when taking it easy with the wife.
Rossignol 9x Oversize - Not overly impressed, OK on hardpack, nose dived in deeper stuff (may be my lack of fitness and technique)
Saloman Crossmax V12 - Enjoyable to ski on piste, didn't get chance to try any deeper stuff.

Couldn't buy the Hot Rods in resort and am struggling to find them on tinternet - Anyone got any suggestions.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys,

I'm going to try the Allstar in a 168, if it's too much work i can always switch down. Will also give the hot rods a try - Pete what length did you ski? I think i'lll go with 170. JT - i'll try and find some 8000's aswell, i'm hearing good things.

I'll report back next week.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
goltim,

Both the XL and 8000 are great skis, which is best depends what snow you are on... I have a very clear idea of when I would want to be on one or the other...
Typical off snow day with occasional forays into chopped up stuff of all sorts... the XL. In newer soft snow and moguls, the 8000.
I know I keep banging on about this but the edge hold on the XL is fantastic for this type of ski and probably best in its class by a long way. Pretty damn close to the Laser which is Stockli's Slalom ski.

You gotta try both if you can IMV if only to rule them out of the equation but i'm sure they will stack up very well against your list
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, Bang on the money with the XL's. Very Happy snowHead

I broke a B2 and couldn't get a single ski as a replacement. Following on from my similar thread a few weeks ago & your past posts - I tested my shortlist, but eventuallypurchased a pair of XL's from Telemark Pyrenees (Brilliant company to deal with - delivered free to Bourg St. Maurice & £170 cheaper than UK & about 120 euro cheaper than high street France).

(Now got a replacement B2 free from Rossignol!) Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bernard Condon,

I'm glad you liked the XL...not much to dislike really. Laughing Laughing Laughing

How is the snow in Les Arcs? Hope you get to try the XL in the dusting that should be on its way by now...!!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I tried the 170's in the Hot Rods

Really wanted to try both the 8000 and the XL's but couldn't find them anywhere. I might hold on buying and have another week of testing later in the season (hopefully a better range will be available).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy