Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cross Country Skiing - Tignes Le Lac

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am trying to find a company that offers Cross Country Skiing in Tignes Le Lac for a week in March 2018.

I was led to believe that ESF offer it but they have replied to say they don't. I have tried to find other companies but none so far.

Does anyone out there know of any companies that do? I really hope so as I believe there are many great tracks to explore out there.

Many thanks for any advice.

George
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The only tracks that I remember are around the lake.

I would have thought that there were a lot of places in France better for Cross Country, Les Saisies, Le Grand Bornand, La Clusaz, Megeve, also consider the Vercors and the Jura stations.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are tracks both on the lake and around the golf course at the Val Claret end of the lake as well ac circumnavigating most of it. There are also tracks up by the top of the Sache gondola, but I can't remember seeing anyone use them in recent years. The tracks around the lake seem to be thinly populated by enthusiasts. Most seem to indulge after downhill, as Mrs SL and I do on occasion. At times folk continue into the evenings. I saw a chap in January on the tracks next to the lake with a head torch the size of a rally car spotlight. I have never seen anybody under instruction on XC skis in Tignes.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many thanks for the responses.

Unfortunately the holiday has already been booked based on Skiers and Snowboarders requirements. I had presumed that most resorts would have XC skiing available.

What a shame.

Any other sports/past times that anyone can suggest to keep me busy for a couple of hours each day would be most welcome?

Many thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ice skating; swimming; sledging; ice carting; tennis; badminton; bowling; ice diving - many of these come at a premium price.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@holyjasper, The gym in Tignes is well-equipped, there is a climbing wall, the swimming pool is maybe more for soaking in after skiing than for doing lengths.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is a network of tracks around the bowl from Bellevarde to Cugnai. They can be seen off to the left of Verte. Again, I have never seen anyone on them.

I cannot understand why you would book a resort like Tignes for XC skiing. Surely you would go somewhere flatter.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just to re-iterate this resort was booked by my family as they are all skiers/snowboarders. I am going along for fun and when we went to Morzine last year I did a taster session for XC skiing and loved it. I had wrongly presumed that all resorts would offer this too but it would appear not.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bar shaker wrote:
There is a network of tracks around the bowl from Bellevarde to Cugnai. They can be seen off to the left of Verte. Again, I have never seen anyone on them.

In Val d'Isere you can Xcountry on tracks by the road or, as you say, from the Front de Neige across to the Bellevarde and up that valley. It is quite pleasant but the resort is obviously not oriented for cross country. The only person I've ever seen on the trails is... me but I'm sure other people must use them. I was off pisting / touring in the AM, ski de fondling in the pm. I think I'd head to the pool / sauna these days.

You can cross country on the glacier in the summer and autumn,

https://vimeo.com/111396315

They claim 30km of skiing, it is probably not bad round the lake.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
some round Lac D'Ouillette at top of Solaise as well I think.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@holyjasper, another thing to watch out for is poorly maintained tracks - some ski resorts will have x-km of trails on paper but they're so badly pisted it's not enjoyable

I remember the trails in Val d'Isere were quite nice though. Don't know anything about Tignes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holyjasper wrote:

Unfortunately the holiday has already been booked based on Skiers and Snowboarders requirements. I had presumed that most resorts would have XC skiing available.

What a shame.

Any other sports/past times that anyone can suggest to keep me busy for a couple of hours each day would be most welcome?

Many thanks
Skiing? snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sack the Juggler wrote:
holyjasper wrote:

What a shame.

Many thanks
Skiing? snowHead

Indeed. If you quite enjoyed the cross country stuff, there's no reason you shouldn't give the downhill stuff a go, and Tignes is a wonderful resort to ski in.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mad for chelsea wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:
holyjasper wrote:

What a shame.

Many thanks
Skiing? snowHead

Indeed. If you quite enjoyed the cross country stuff, there's no reason you shouldn't give the downhill stuff a go, and Tignes is a wonderful resort to ski in.

It depends.

If the OP had never tried downhill skiing, she should give it a try.

But, xc skiing is mostly about moving along, even for beginners. Downhill skiing for beginners is all about how to stop and turn. It's really not the same. For many, it simply doesn't appeal.

(I "tried" both initially, only "took" to xc skiing. Until I met my swiss boy friend and reluctantly took up downhill skiing again with more determination)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Odd, I did a cross country course with ESF, it was some years ago. I did see Gilles this year in the village but he may well have retired. Have you tried Evo2 they seem to be able to organise most things?

There are also xc tracks on the glacier but you need seriously big lungs up there at 3000m!
ski holidays
@rjs, There are a couple of couloirs reserved for lengths in the pool (25m). If you are in early doors it normally works out with a fastish lane and a not so fastish lane, just remember to swim on the right!
latest report
@chocksaway, XC at 3000m? Sounds too much like hard work to me Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy