Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry slope racing skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am a dry slope racer, not one of the best but i race at Pendal and Rossendale for a team. Thus as a result i would say i am an average but quite aggressive racer. I need a new ski at about 160cm and need to be able to get them relatively cheap off sites such as ebay (£400 max for a full system.)

Thus can i please have some advice about which ski to get, Salomon 3v or Fischer RC4 WC SC (or any other suggestions.) As i only race on dry slopes, i am most concerned about grip (on relatively soft surfaces) and my skis burning.

What are people suggestions for a good racing, yet hard wearing on plastic ski?

Very Happy Thanks! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dry slope addict, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Quote:
As i only race on dry slopes, i am most concerned about grip (on relatively soft surfaces) and my skis burning.
Laughing

Can't help I'm afraid, although I'd have thought that £400 would get you quite a lot of ski.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dry slope addict, these are worth a punt. I can't praise them enough. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dry slope addict, a few of us at Aldershot have Fischer RC4 SCs - a bit softer and a lot lighter than the WC, but they come in at about Eur300 delivered from ski-bilek or sport65 in Germany (look at international sellers when doing a Fischer RC4 search on eBay). Having said that though, we're also pretty rubbish!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd agree on the RC4s from ski-bilek, I got mine all in (delivery, paypal charge, binding fitting) for 321,86 EUR which is £223, I've only run gates at XScape a few times but they seemd good to me!! Get the hardest wax you can for plastic.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dry slope addict, Buy the cheapest you can find (did anyone say Ebay ?) wink You don't say how old you are., what races do you compete in ?

When you have them, love them by a) keeping the edges sharp and b) using Polar-X wax to protect the bases.

I'm not an (old) underachieving racer too....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My son skis on the Dynamic VR27 and daughter Atomic SL11's and are very happy with them. The Dynamic's are owned by and made (same measurements) in the same factory as Atomic, but have a slightly softer flex than the Atomic SL11 skis and considerably cheaper.
Length really depends on your height, weight (If you are heavy not too soft a flex) and ability. If you race/train reguarly on plastic the general view is length maybe chin to nose height max. I use Swix CH4 on plastic for my childrens skis.
Try Bartletts in Hillingdon, they stock a varied range of race skis and also may have some of last years models (cheaper) if you don't insist on the latest.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the advice.

I'll look at the dynamics. I know this sounds kinda stupid but i've always fancied 3Vs. However though these maybe arguably the best ski on snow, i dont know about how tough they are on plastic. Any help there? (And the same for the fischers.) My team gives me wax and i look after my skis but i train every week and the slope is quite bad (dotted with rocks and the wire holding the mats together points up!) therefore i need a hard base without wax.

Thanks!

Btw I'm 16
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why is the slope dotted with rocks and wire pointing up. Get the management to sort it or if they won't why don't the racers do it. I assume your talking about Rossendale (not been there) but the Pendle slope appears to be well looked after to me when my kids have raced there.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its Stoke and its a big slope, takes time to sort it out. I ace at Pendal and Rossendale cus thats where the leagues are but i train at Stoke. The management do try to sort it out but it builds up and they dont do it regulally enough. Also they are not particulally keen on racers so that doesnt help. Also cus they had building work done a digger went up the slope (stupid idea but no other way to the top) so left grit + stones and the wheels pulled the metal matt joiners up.

All slopes have it tho cus Pendal (last winter race) had matting not straight. It just takes time to sort out!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well I hope they sort it for the G Prix and Club Nat or there will be a lot of V. angry skiers
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
don't worry. I get back to the uk in may, and will be working on the slope matting before the race (as will a lot of other volunteers as well i might add).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
S'ok they always sort it out before big races. Its just in the times between that the slope can get quite bad.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another point, Stoke is actually a very good slope, bigger than most and normally in an ok condition. I was prob being a bit extreme saying there are rocks everywhere (i'm just probably unlucky and end up hitting them.) So dont think im slating Stoke

(I felt bad about saying the quality of the slope is bad cus i hav little to compar it to so it mite be alright for all i know)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i was talking about pendle, i'll leave stoke to the locals to fix.

they are working hard with the slope expansion etc in the last few years, so congrats to them for that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy