Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone tried cutting Black Diamond skins to shorten them?

Poster: A snowHead
I've found some Black Diamond Glidelite skins on line at a bargain price, but they're too long from my skis. Does anyone know how easy it is to remove either the tip or tail fitting, and then replace once the skins have been cut shorter?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chamcham wrote:
I've found some Black Diamond Glidelite skins on line at a bargain price, but they're too long from my skis. Does anyone know how easy it is to remove either the tip or tail fitting, and then replace once the skins have been cut shorter?

Just cut it off altogether. Those tail things are always such a PITA.

Although you can drill the rivets and re-rivet or buy a new tail kit.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chamcham. What a coincidence, the first time I look in here for a few weeks and who pops up!
I cut my own and then marks new BD skins this season. The material is dead easy to cut so that is not an issue. They sell them with and without the rear fitting so I guess they're not essential. Think I hired some skins once that had no rear clips and didn't notice a problem. Sadly I can't remember exactly how the clips are attached to the skin and I can't check as they're in france and I'm in london. Though if I had to guess I'd say you can reattach them, possibly with a screw system.

Actually I'm in bed with a persistent fever sans any major 'cold' symptoms. Maybe you can just diagnose me while you're at it, Cheers,Ed
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ed_sec, Sad Thanks for the reply, get well soon
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If the tip loops are attached to the skis with rubber then replace with something more reliable. I was forever kicking off the tip loops while skinning. Unlikely with BD as, I think, only Pomoca do this now.

Cheap / easy / reliable solution: keep the tip loop as is and cut the tail to form a rat's tail:
https://www.wildsnow.com/13689/rat-tail-climbing-skin-attach-tail/
IMV, this is the best tail attachment I've ever used.

More expensive / elegant solution: work out whether keeping the tip or tail fits your ski better then replace the other end with new BD tip loops or tail clips which are available separately:
http://www.earnyourturns.com/2185/climbing-skin-tips-n-tails/
Note there are/were two different sizes of tip loop for (old) pointy or (new) rounded skis. IIRC, the tip loops cannot be refitted as the screws are designed to break when they're fitted.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You can also buy new tip kits for the BD skins.......
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@altis, @KenX, Thanks for the replies. I realise you can modify them by adding replacement parts, but given these are new skins, I was hoping to remove the existing tail clip and reattach it. I should think it's doable...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Chamcham, if you can get hold of appropriate size rivets then you can drill out the rivets on the tail clip (3 of), cut the skin to length, then re-rivet the tail clip.
As per above opinions vary on tail clips - personally I tend to use as have seen too many people have skin-falling-off nightmares in certain conditions which are more easily remedied with tail clips to help hold them in place.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@offpisteskiing, I agree, and I particularly like the BD type with the stretchy strap on the tail. Does anyone know whether you can use screws instead of rivets to reattach the tail? What comes in the pack if you buy the BD replacement tail strap?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
offpisteskiing wrote:
As per above opinions vary on tail clips - personally I tend to use as have seen too many people have skin-falling-off nightmares in certain conditions which are more easily remedied with tail clips to help hold them in place.

I see people touring around with one or other tail clip dragging in the snow, then that pulls the back of the skin off the ski, especially when people are kick turning and voila, the skin no longer sticks. I've never found the tail straps will remedy this once a ski no longer sticks.

If the skin is cut say 10cm from the tail it should stick okay if applied properly.

For people with skin problems Laughing , carry gaffer tape and a spray glue is my advice if they are concerned.

but that is just my experience, I'm not generally taking non-autonomous people out on tours so this is not a particular concern for me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Chamcham, it's easier to change the front clip than the rear, comes with 3 screws which you snap off with pliers after installation.....No drilling, no rivets.....

https://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/ski-skins/adjustable-tip-loop-BD1636170000ALL1.html
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What Ken X said.

If you are determined to move the tail clips, the easiest option would be to cut off the existing tail clip and fit a pair of these (they are easy to fit)...

https://www.bergzeit.co.uk/contour-tailclip-set-mit-baender-und-nieten-fuer-skifelle-001/

I haven't tried to drill out the BD rivets to reuse BD tail clips, but I suspect it would be difficult to do without a pillar drill.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 4-05-17 8:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oceanic wrote:

I havn't tried to drill out the BD rivets to reuse BD tail clips, but I suspect it would be difficult to do without a pillar drill.

I did it with a battery operated drill and then used new rivets bought from the local diy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll agree with KenX but rather than buying new tip loops I'd try and reuse the original tip loop. BD skins with a tail fixing are shortened at the tip and the tip loop is fixed with self-drilling, self-tapping screws - the ends of which are snapped off with pliers following insertion. If the screws are removed and the tip loop placed to one side and the skins shortened, I can't see why the tip loop and screws can't be reused. Try shortening the skins at the tip, then push the tip loop back into position. The original screws will no longer be self-tapping but use a fine nail in the screw holes and tap with a hammer to mark the hole locations in the skin. Remove the tip loop and drill the holes through the skin. Replace the tip loop and try inserting the original screws. This may require the tip loop being clamped in place until at least one of the screws is inserted.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm pretty sure BD sell the snap off screws separately thinking about it!
ski holidays
Thanks for all the replies. I've found the screws here:

https://www.shelby.fi/product_info.php?products_id=3212&language=en

but I'm not sure how much the P&P will be.

For anyone considering doing similar, I found a good guide here:

http://starthaus.com/wordpress/2014/10/22/how-to-fit-and-trim-black-diamond-ascension-nylon-sts-skins/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy