Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

race plates on hero FIS Multi-event skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I am having a disagreement with my local ski shop. After some going back and forth, I cannot separate facts from misinformation. no internet search has given me any help

Here is my problem: I bought a set of broken Rossignol Radical JR race skis for $20. the skis were damaged but the bindings and race plates (IBox) were still almost new. My plan was to put these on a set of Rossignol Hero FIS multi-event JR race skis. the ski shop has said a number of things on the topic but enough of it is suspect that I don't know if its ALL false or just some of it?

Does anyone see a reason that these race plates can not be put on these skis?

1) the ski shop said that the screws are too long and would come out the bottom of the ski but the screws protrude out of the race plate 5mm and the ski is 8.5mm at the thinnest point a screw goes through. The rear most (thinnest) point is the same spot the last screw would go through the bindings without race plates. If this is true I suspect I am in trouble either way. Its clear the screws will not come out the bottom of the ski regardless, but is this ski too thin for a race plate?

2) the ski shop said the FIS regulations say the thickness of the ski / bindings /race plate will be too thick and would not be race legal. I looked this up and it sounds like the limit is 50mm but the skis / bindings / race place add to 40mm. I don't know if I am looking at the right rules. is this 40 mm too thick?

3) The race plates will add too much stiffness and my son would not be able to flex the skis sufficiently. maybe? he is a very strong skier I suspect he could overcome this limitation.

4) "the Rossignol rep says we are not allowed to install these race plates on these skis" (but the ski shop offered to sell me new race plates.... so at least some version of Rossignol race plate is supported)

any advice would be helpful. I know I cannot go back to this ski shop, but I am trying to find out the true limitations.

thanks!
Lumps
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What are FIS multi event JR skis? What length are they and what do they say on the topsheet?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
moseyp wrote:
What are FIS multi event JR skis? What length are they and what do they say on the topsheet?

Rossignol FIS Multi-event skis are just one of the model names from the Rossignol line of kids skis. These ones are 132cm in length. the top sheet specifies 3.5/7.5mm and 3.2 nm torque
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Junior races are governed by national rules, not FIS. The GBR requirement is 50mm.

Looking here the standard plates just look to be simple lifters under the toe and heel of the bindings, you could always just make some out of a plastic chopping board.

As a coach, I wouldn't push young kids to get up to the maximum stand height.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had a look at those skis, they aren't FIS reg - they're junior skis for minis & ch1 so you don't need them to be legal (I assume your kid is under 14?). But I don't know why you'd put a plate on them at all

You could always get in touch with Rossignol directly to ask them for advice
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
moseyp wrote:
Had a look at those skis, they aren't FIS reg - they're junior skis for minis & ch1 so you don't need them to be legal (I assume your kid is under 14?). But I don't know why you'd put a plate on them at all

You could always get in touch with Rossignol directly to ask them for advice

I like your advise to contact Rossignol. I want to use a race plate so I don't have to get them re-drilled every time He changes boots. I also have another in line to use these when he is done with this size so even if I can get 2 more mounts out them I will have to get new ones for his sister.

I don't know why they call these FIS. maybe to show they are the more serious of the 2 entry level kids skis?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try rossignol or another ski shop for second opinion. You could stick them on a rail mount and won't have to remount if he changes boots but stays on the same skis
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moseyp wrote:
Try rossignol or another ski shop for second opinion. You could stick them on a rail mount and won't have to remount if he changes boots but stays on the same skis

I live in Atlantic Canada. My options are limited for shops. I went to the sports store at the mall and spoke to their technician. He said he didn't see a problem with mounting them but was only comfortable/allowed to mount using a jig and he didn't have one that matched the hole pattern.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh sorry I just assumed your kid was in dry slope club in the UK

If your son is in a race club at your slope, talk to his or any coach. They should easily be able to help you
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy