Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rifugio for one night. Feb 2018 : Dolomite area

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In January 2018 we are off to the Dolomites, staying in the Kronplatz area. We are due to fly back on about the 3rd or 4th February from Innsbruck. I like the idea of returning on the Sunday, staying over for an extra day/night either at Reischach / Bruneck for the apres ski / swim and sauna or possibly staying at a rifugio at altitude.
The one that springs to mind is Lagazuoi and the doing the Hidden Valley run with a half day around San Cassiano.
Has anyone done this or similar? Does anyone have any alternatives to suggest? We are due to leave our accommodation at Sankt Vigilio on the Saturday morning, so could ski for a day anywhere in the Northern Dolomite area. I am just looking for something a little bit "different" as an experience
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JohnHSmith, When I saw your thread title I thought of two rifugios straight away. One was the one at the top of Lagazuoi which you've already mentioned, the other was the fairly nearby Rifugio Averau at the top of the Cinque Torri ski area. It's well known for its cuisine and incidentally I believe it's used by Colletts as one of the night stays on their ski safari tours.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you. I shall look into that one. I have never yet crossed the road to the Cinque Torri but it has been on my list for a good few years. That looks a likely bet as we could still end the day on the run down to Armentarola
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JohnHSmith wrote:
Thank you. I shall look into that one. I have never yet crossed the road to the Cinque Torri but it has been on my list for a good few years. That looks a likely bet as we could still end the day on the run down to Armentarola

Good point. For information as you've not been to Cinque Torri before, here's the piste map. The first part of the ski path from Passo Falzarego to Cinque Torri involves a bit of poling but well worth it when you get there. As a tip when you reach the first chair en route (lift No.2 on the piste map) I generally take it up so that I can then ski down and carry some speed into the right hand bend at the bottom as there is a short uphill section immediately after. A bit further on there is quite a long flattish section which you'll want to schuss. The final stretch down to Cinque Torri is better as it's a series of gentle rollers down through a tree lined route. It brings you out at the Bai de Dones (see piste map)at the bottom of what I'll call the front side of Cinque Torri ski slopes. You take the quad chair (lift no. 4) from there and then when you get to the top of that lift get off to the right hand side and ski down a few hundred yards to the 2 man chair (lift no.5) you'll see which goes up to the summit at Rifugio Averau. There's some nice runs down from there on the front side but there's also a run down on the other (back) side. To return to Passo Falzarego you have two options. If the snow conditions permit then they may be running the lift no. 8 which you get to via a short path off to the right hand side of the main slope on the back side. From the top of that lift there's a ski route all the way back to Passo Falzarego. Alternatively if that lift isn't operating you can ski down to Bai de Dones at the base of the front side from where there is a fairly frequent free ski bus service up to Passo Falzarego.

Hope this helps. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JohnHSmith, I was going to stay in Lagazuoi earlier this season but my friend wasn't sure how she'd take the altitude so we didn't in the end. But we went up there (saw the rifugio and sauna which looked amazing) and then skied the hidden valley run. The run is beautiful, it took a lot longer to do because I kept stopping to take in the views and the frozen waterfall. I went past the first point where you can get a taxi back, to do the horse tow which was great fun. Managed to get a taxi back straight away from the end of that as there was a bunch of people already loading in. Very memorable day, will definitely stay in the refugio next time. I think it was pretty reasonably priced too
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This trip report 'hut to hut' might give you some info

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2494350&highlight=

you can find some itineraries here

http://www.dolomiti.com.au/cortina/the-skiing.html#skiitineraries
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, thank you all and thank you HeidiAmsterdam for the trip report referred to by albob

I think that a Rifugio is something we will try to work into the trip. I think it likely to be one of Lagazuoi, Averau or Scoiattoli and from what I have read, I don't think we will be disappointed with any of those. I will see what is available on the dates we can be there

Thank you again
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can definitely recommend the Lagazuoi - we got up early and were first down the hidden valley and it was the best 45 minutes' skiing of our lives. The horses were 'closed' but it was easy to get taxi at the rifugio at the end, after the driver had been in for a quick grappa! The accommodation is a bit basic but it was a fun evening, set menu dinner at shared tables followed by trivial pursuit in Italian! I found it hard to sleep at that altitude but my partner was fine, albeit snoring even more loudly than usual. Can also recommend the Averau for the food, we had an amazing lunch there and I expect the accom is a bit more comfy than the Lagazuoi, but I would always go for that early morning hidden valley run. Don't miss it!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy