Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste rescue in 3V

Poster: A snowHead
This is all of great interest to me,as I'm about to renew my Annual Multi Trip Insurance.Like many,I felt that I was covered in the event of accident/loss.Yes,I would expect some haggling,but never imagined my first problem would actually be getting myself,or wife/children to the hospital Shocked I would personally like to thank davidof and PG for making the position clear.The above comments point to one thing;we all need two insurance policies(that ski in France)
1.A UK based policy to cover travel,baggage loss etc,along with the things we can worry about when back home,say,ski theft or piste closure.
2.A French based policy,carre neige,to cover any misshap whilst actually skiing.This actually makes a lot of sense.Most of us would struggle in dealing with the French Emergency Services;as they would with a UK insurer?
Is the above a solution?
Finally,anyone know the situation with off piste cover under carre neige?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowskisnow wrote:

1.A UK based policy to cover travel,baggage loss etc,along with the things we can worry about when back home,say,ski theft or piste closure.
2.A French based policy,carre neige,to cover any misshap whilst actually skiing.This actually makes a lot of sense.Most of us would struggle in dealing with the French Emergency Services;as they would with a UK insurer?

Carre/Carte neige cover off piste and a lot of other activities.

You know I'm never in favour of giving insurance companies too much of my money and a lot of these different policies are backed by either Zurich/Mondial Assistance or Generali/Europ Assistance. The insurance companies have people on their "assistance" lines who speak French, German, Chinese even so there is no problem for the French to deal with them. Maybe you are right and it is just easier to have two policies but it just doesn't seem very fair to me.

As I say for the incident we are discussing I would inform the mayor of the ski resort and also

M le Préfet Christian Sapede
Préfecture de la Savoie
Château des Ducs de Savoie
BP 1801
73018 Chambéry CEDEX
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But bear in mind that Carte Neige is a French mutuelle, and not full health cover. It only covers moutain rescue and any excesses you have to pay - it won't pay your hospital bills etc. You'll have to deal with all that via the NHS or whatever other health insurance you've got (assuming that covers skiing injuries).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard wrote:
it won't pay your hospital bills etc. You'll have to deal with all that via the NHS

Good point to make. I personally don't think the Carte Neige and European Health Passport (ex E111) is sufficient cover. The Carte Neige's health cover basically pays for the things that your private health insurance (aka mutuelle) doesn't cover such as part of the cost of injections by a resort doctor.

Most people, like me, pay around 30 quid a month for additional private cover because the French NHS does not cover all your bills... by a long chalk. This is why UK visitors need proper health insurance when visiting France (or take a chance).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In Austria My son was helicoptered off the mountain with no questions asked! He needed help (turned out leg broken in 3 places) and that was all there was to it.....what a difference.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, but who paid the bill. We once had to use helicopter and air-ambulance home and the total bill was over £15000. Annual insurance picked up the bill straight away.

I'm wondering do we need Carte neige in addition, especially given the conditions in the 3V next week. snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It seems a bit of a 'belt & braces' approach but,at around 15euro a week(12euro child)I personally think carre neige is the way to go?At the very least you should then have no problems getting off the mountain/transferred to hospital.Chances are any reputable insurer will pay out......eventually?But when you,or your child,are in a heap somewhere,the last thing you need is to be trying to phone a UK helpline rolling eyes
BTW,does carre neige cover unguided off piste,or not?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowskisnow wrote:
BTW,does carre neige cover unguided off piste,or not?

My understanding is that it does. Terms and Conditions (in English) helpfully reproduced at My Snow Sports. This is for Carte Neige, but I think that Carre Neige is the same.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar.org.uk, no difference in cover between Carte Neige and Carre Neige, just that one is per season and the other for a designated amount of time. I'm always amazed that when we ask guests if they want Carre Neige they invariably say no.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David@traxvax wrote:
I'm always amazed that when we ask guests if they want Carre Neige they invariably say no.

I used to, until I discovered snowHeads Embarassed Now I consider it a very small price to pay for a large chunk of piece of mind.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does Austria have anything similar to the Carte Neige, do we know?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You've gotta love the Swiss. My brother got blood wagon followed by skidoo off the hill last January. No charge. The doctor didn't need paying directly because he recognised me, such faith, and let the insurance cover it. This year Mrs P has torn a latteral ligament whilst skiing, blood wagon followed by ambulance to Drs, all free, and again (although different dr) because we live here for half the year is happy to wait for the insurance company to pay out.

FWIW we have Air Glacier insurance on top of BMC insurance. Echoing above, better to be over insured than under. Most of the time it's a question of cash flow, I don't really have the cash, or credit, to cover any large medical expenses so being heavily insured is a peace of mind.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I'm always amazed that when we ask guests if they want Carre Neige they invariably say no.
Can't recall ever being offered it by a tour operator. or indeed antone else.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor wrote:
... all free ...

Surely somebody has to pay for these services? Unless they are staffed by kind-hearted volunteers?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, I was asked if I needed insurance when I bought my pass last month in Les Deux Alpes. I said no. Next time I will say yes.
ski holidays
It's around €2.50 a day extra isn't it. Seems very little on top of a €200+ lift pass. Think I might go for that. Thanks for all the wise advice, everyone. snowHead
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, that's because most ski/chalet hosts don't know about it, ours do they get it with their lift pass but I'll bet we're the exception.
snow report
If I recall correctly though, Carte Neige doesn't cover you if you're working professionally on the mountain.
latest report
Every year I have this debate with the co-owner of the travel firm I usually ski with. He maintains time and again that there is no need for Carte Neige and that the type of thing talked about here doesn't happen in Val D'Isere! I still buy Carte Neige.
snow report
So the situation seems to be that if you ski in Austria or Switzerland (my usual European venues snowHead ) then standard British ski insurance plus the EHIC/replacement E111 is sufficient to cover accident eventualities. However, if you ski in France you need to buy supplementary Carre/Carte Neige cover because the ambulance drivers etc won't recognise British insurance. Sad

Strange that the French ski tourism agencies don't publicise this fact in the UK. wink
ski holidays
We're going to the Aravis region: hope we don't have to use the services of this chap, although I'm sure he's very nice really:

ALP'AMBULANCE - Fitzwilliam ERICService d'ambulances
Adresse : Villavit - 74450 GRAND-BORNAND
Tél. : 04.50.02.71.39
Fax : 04.50.02.23.89

No, I'm not making it up! Very Happy

Ant
snow report
Chris Bish, insurance of course, but what I was ineptly trying to say was that helping my son appeared to be a higher prioity to the pisters, medic etc than my insurance papers. Thank goodness the incident at the beginning of the thread is not indicative of every resort, I wonder why?
ski holidays
Lorraine wrote:
Thank goodness the incident at the beginning of the thread is not indicative of every resort, I wonder why?

*devil's advocate*

Because not every resort is in France?

*end devil's advocate*

ON a more serious note, for years I've been less than keen to ski in France after personally experiencing poor customer service (although thankfully nothing on that level), and stories like this simply add fuel to the fire - depsite having had three great trips in a row. Having said that, they were all in the Tarentaise, perhaps that's a lone civilised outpost in France?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 8-02-06 9:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
nbt wrote:
ON a more serious note, for years I've been less than keen to ski in France after personally experiencing poor customer service (although thankfully nothing on that level), and stories like this simply add fuel to the fire - depsite having had three great trips in a row. Having said that, they were all in the Tarentaise, perhaps that's a lone civilised outpost in France?

Although this story (and snowbunny's) are very distressing, as far as I can tell both would have been easily avoided by the purchase of carre/carte neige. That's not to excuse the actions of ambulance/pisteurs who demanded payment in cash (I think complaining to the local Mayor is a good suggestion), but this particular problem can be negated for the cost of a couple of Euro per day.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
both would have been easily avoided by the purchase of carre/carte neige.

I've alreay paid a lot for comprehensive insurance. It's accepted everywhere else in the world without problems, it would appaer. Why should I thne have to buy more insurance in France?
snow report
nbt, you shouldn't - it's just a matter of convenience, should anything untoward happen, before the French and the insurers get their act together. The situation is that ambulance companies are left with unpaid bills because the set-up is wrong and because insurers can be pretty unscrupulous.

I'm not sure how much it (insurance generally) would be accepted elsewhere by a private business though, if you were about to walk, or hobble out, of the door, heading for the other side of the world.
snow report
nbt wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
both would have been easily avoided by the purchase of carre/carte neige.

I've alreay paid a lot for comprehensive insurance. It's accepted everywhere else in the world without problems, it would appaer. Why should I thne have to buy more insurance in France?

I agree, but if I were laying in a blood wagon in pain faced with this kind of problem I think I'd be wishing I'd paid that extra tenner for my lift pass. Several comparisions have been made to practice in other countries where piste evacuation is "free" with the lift pass - it's not free, of course, you just pay for it as a "compulsory" element when you buy your lift ticket. In France, this assurance is optional rather than compulsory.

As I mentioned earlier, my only experience (not personal, fortunately) of piste evacuation was also in the Trois Vallees, but in Courchevel not Val Thorens. In that example, the pisteurs and medical staff were professional, calming and courteous. They didn't demand payment in cash; credit card was fine. Skis were kept as a deposit for payment by the pisteurs; this was explained and both me and the injured person thought this was reasonable (and inconsequential).
snow report
*whispers*I agree, just playing devil's advocate*whispers*

In truth, I understand the points - however my argument isn;t really about the money, it's about the customer service. I accept that private ambulances need to be paid for, and indeed when Mrs NBT had an accident in Canada we had to pay for everything once we got off the mountain (getting off was a trauma in itself as mrs NBT insisted she was not too imjured to ski down - turned out she'd torn a calf muscle and if she had been carted off might have recovered a lot quicker, but that's another story!) - anyway - as I said we had to pay for all th medical bills etc, but we were able to pay by card. never a mention of cash, and when you're in painm hassle like that is the last thing you need.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

Skis were kept as a deposit for payment by the pisteurs; this was explained and both me and the injured person thought this was reasonable (and inconsequential).

I also considered that reasonable, right up to the point when my SO saw a pisteur ON MY SKIS and skiing them to the office for ransom. Then, when I complained in writing about this action, the VT piste management called me a liar Twisted Evil
ski holidays
snowbunny, Shocked Your story is just bad all round, and just reinforces in my mind the point made by nbt and others about a lack of customer service which France is infamous for. All this could be resolved if only pisteurs/ambulances accepted payment by card, which isn't difficult in this modern age of portable terminals. Until this happens I will ski with my liftpass, Carte Neige and EHIC card in the same pocket (and keep my fingers crossed I don't get hurt in Val Thorens Wink).
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

I will ski with my liftpass, Carte Neige and EHIC card in the same pocket (and keep my fingers crossed I don't get hurt in Val Thorens ).

Yes, spot on with the last bit. You could not offer me enough money to risk skiing there, since the layout of the piste crossing point was a large contributor to my collision circumstances. Some resorts try to manage the flow at crossing points, but not VT.
If you fancy skiing VT, I suggest 500 Euros in notes as a supplement, which should at least get you as far as being treated in the Cabinet Medical. You will most likely need more of course, but at least they will give you a paracetamol and your skiboots.
snow report
snowbunny wrote:
I suggest 500 Euros in notes as a supplement

Or the small payment for the optional insurance offered in all French resorts Wink
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, VT private blood wagons/medical centre etc like cash, it's apparently sooo much easier and keeps their admin costs down. There are no guarantees there that a Carte or Carre Neige which is not on a VT lift ticket will be accepted. I was told many times, that the only assurance acceptable in VT is the one issued at the VT lift co. ticket offices. I guess that it's another nice little earner for them.
snow report
snowbunny wrote:
I was told many times, that the only assurance acceptable in VT is the one issued at the VT lift co. ticket offices.

Isn't that the Carre/Carte Neige? Or does Val Thorens have its own, unique insurance policy?
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, VT does sell the standard Carre/Carte Neige - as far as I am aware.
latest report
whats the cost per person in VT as heading out at the weekend, already have snowcard insurance but think i will top it up so to speak, and can i buy it on the sat and start skiing on the sunday.
latest report
jtobin03, it's 2.50 Euros per day. You buy it at the same time as your lift pass, and yes you can buy it on Saturday when you arrive with the pass and the carre neige policy starting on the Sunday. You will need to buy it at a lift pass office yourself, as I doubt that your tour operator will include the cost of the Carre Neige insuarnce when they try to sell you a liftpass on the coach transfer to the resort.
snow report
I have already prebooked my liftpass, so can i just go down and buy the carre neige
ski holidays
jtobin03, yes.nbt, your comments about the Tarentaise echo our experience, we have only ever had help and a warm welcome in the area, but the locals here insist they are Tarins first, Savoyards second and then French.
snow report
is it possible/necessary to get this Carte Niege thingy in Italy? Sounds essential...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy