Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Junior to adult ski's

Poster: A snowHead
My son will be 12 years and 8 months by the time we go skiing next. For the last three seasons including this one he has skiing 139cm K2 Juvy's. There were probably a tad long initially as we were going up from a 110cm pair but by Christmas this year they will definitely be too short - they are twin tips and already below his chin. It seems junior ski's do go up to the 160 or even 170 mark but perhaps with fewer options. Am thinking that going up to 150 was a bit pointless as he needs some growing room - so was thinking more like 160. That length is too short for adult mens but I was wondering about getting ladies ski's...

How have others managed the transtision?

If it helps we'll be looking for all mountain skis.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Faction 4.0 junior - 155cm ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think the K2 Shreditor 100 goes up to a 159 - but IIRC it's rockered so the effective length is probably much shorter. It's also quite fat for a kid's ski.
Interested to see what other suggestions come up, as there's very little info readily available on how the upper end of junior skis compare to the lower end of adult, especially in terms of flex. I don't think it's reasonable to expect a 12-13 year old to be as strong as a similar height adult.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BobinCH wrote:
Faction 4.0 junior - 155cm ?

I like the suggestion... finding a pair at 155 seems tricky right now.

Kind of hoping to find something in the end of season sales.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mgrolf wrote:
I think the K2 Shreditor 100 goes up to a 159 - but IIRC it's rockered so the effective length is probably much shorter. It's also quite fat for a kid's ski.
Interested to see what other suggestions come up, as there's very little info readily available on how the upper end of junior skis compare to the lower end of adult, especially in terms of flex. I don't think it's reasonable to expect a 12-13 year old to be as strong as a similar height adult.

The 85 looks like it fits the bill but it only goes up to 149.

I see the mens 85 Ikonic starts at 163cm. The womens OooLaLuv has 149 and 156.

Captures my dilemma perfectly.

Tempting to go for the womens at 156. Perfect size to go up to. Presumably womens will be lighter than mens.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another one in the equation is the Line Sick Day Shorty Junior at 162cm.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VOLKL CONFESSION JUNIOR 2017 in a 163 - bit wide maybe.... whilst I'd love us to be skiing powder every day the reality is it will be all sorts...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Line Tom Wallisch shorty in 157cm. I think 85cm is a good size underfoot for a child as they are light.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My boy is 6 and has been using the Volks Mantra JR 118 all season is 85 underfoot and he loves. Sure a 12 year old could manage 100.

I put some friends kids 11 & 13 on the Faction 1.0 155 at 85mm underfoot in Spring conditions and they loved them.

Here's a bunch from Sport Conrad available in approx 160 length. All good prices.

Select All mountain skis with bindings and filter on kids.

http://www.sport-conrad.com/en/skiing/skis/all-mountain-ski-with-binding/magnis-marker-squire.html

http://www.sport-conrad.com/en/skiing/skis/all-mountain-ski-with-binding/arv-84.html

http://www.sport-conrad.com/en/skiing/skis/all-mountain-ski-with-binding/rocker-l7.html

http://www.sport-conrad.com/en/skiing/skis/all-mountain-ski-with-binding/sir-francis-bacon-shorty-squire-16.html

http://www.sport-conrad.com/en/skiing/skis/all-mountain-ski-with-binding/confession-jr-free-ten.html

http://www.sport-conrad.com/en/skiing/skis/all-mountain-ski-with-binding/arw-84.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BobinCH wrote:
Sure a 12 year old could manage 100.

I'm sure they could cope but the proportions just seem wrong to me. My Line Sir Francis Bacons are 184 long and 106 underfoot. The Line Sir Francis Bacon Shorty come in 145, 155, and 165 long with the same width underfoot. So a proportionally much larger surface area, for a propertionally much lighter person...

If you live in Colorado, Utah or Japan then I could see sense in having these for a powder day. But if these were their only ski, I'd be worried about compromising their ability to learn good on-piste technique.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Double rocker 14m radius - I think a good 12/13 year old would rock those skis.

Assuming they already have good piste technique.

I also see what the local kids here are skiing and they are all on fats.

Skiing is changing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thread revival time.

I dillyed and dallyed and ran out of time for our Christmas trip. Which turned out to be a bit of a shame as we had plenty of powder and skied off piste plenty. But the they did OK still.

I am now looking again though. And rather than arsing about I am thinking of getting Volkl Mantra Juniors. At the minute these are £204.50 on glisshop and 219 Euros at Sport Conrad. Wondering whether to bite the bullet now or wait until nearer our next trip in late March. What do folks think a) of those skis and b) the price/waiting?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Layne, if you decide to get them, can you post impressions please? I'm debating whether my daughter needs new skis (again). Currently on 149 K2 remedy jrs which are 75mm underfoot but she just won't stop growing so they are on the short side...those mantras look good...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Mantra jr’s are excellent skis. My boy uses them for everything (except racing). They carve beautifully on piste and are fully rockered so great off piste. He’s 7 and on the 118’s.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne, If he wants full rocker, buy this years, if he wants traditional camber, with tip/tail rocker wait. Next years Mantra is going back to that style, due to poor sales Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Junior went from hiring kids slalom skis to using adult twin tips (Atomic Infamous 170 something) this year. He's only 13 but he is big. Didn't notice him having any problems, but then he is usually a long way in front of me Embarassed
latest report
Bones wrote:
Layne, If he wants full rocker, buy this years, if he wants traditional camber, with tip/tail rocker wait. Next years Mantra is going back to that style, due to poor sales Madeye-Smiley

So does that mean 2016/17 were traditional camber? I think that's what we'd go for.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy