Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zakopane - Poland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just returned from a fantastic week in Zakopane with Sunshine World. The snow conditions are perfect on all the local hills. As we left yesterday it began snowing very hard so expect a good new layer of powder.

The temperature has warmed slightly, so the last 4 days were t-shirt and jacket weather. Clear blue skies and lots of sunshine
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So tell us more please.

Having visited Krakow in November, I was really taken with Poland and all things Polish.

I looked at Zakopane on the web, but the small bits of info I gleaned suggested that there are long waits for lifts. Rental gear is also alleged to be poor- which is a shame, as carting your own stuff will cost with a budget flight.

Did you go via Krakow ? What are connections like ?

Any hotels you would recommend ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is very little info on Zakopane in english unfortunately, mainly because not many Brits go there. There is only a long wait for the cable car at Kasprovy Wierch. If you aren't there by 08:00, the wait can be up to 2 hours, although you can pre-book express tickets to go to the front of the queue or go after 14:00. There are no queues at Szymoszkowa or Bialka. There are many many ski hills locally. Unlike the alps, each hill is owned by an individual or group, so there are no area passes. Also the runs tend not to be that long, average about 1.5km although Kasprovy is 6km.

Rental gear was very good that we used, no problem with it at all. Those of us that did take our own (the boarders) weren't charged any extra by CentralWings, although you do have to tell them and book the extra baggage. Our holiday included transfers, lift passes, all equipment hire, half board in a 3 star hotel, tuition and guiding and free beer with the evening meal. Because there were 12 of us in the goup we got a discount on the £475 cost. We flew via Krakow, transfer time was just under 2 hours but I couldn't tell you the cost. I can recommend the Skalny or the Belvedere. The Skalny is a good 3 star with good size pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, bar and pool room. Didn't eat there but food and service looked good. Twin or double is £70 / night or £50 for more than 5 nights. Belvedere is a good 4*, rooms are around £70 a night but very very busy.

I would certainly recommend Zakopane to anyone who is looking for something different, with friendly people and very very cheap. I have been to Bulgaria and it is certainly in a much higher league.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jon2211,

Your all in deal sounds fine.

Hotel costs outside a package seem dear though. I only paid just over 70 euros for a 4* hotel (HB plus alcohol) in Austria.

Hotel Rezydent in Krakow was about £35 B&B in November and that was just off the main square.

I may have to try Zakopane outside the ski season. If Poles pay those prices for hotels, it would explain why there were so many East Europeans in Bad Hofgastein.

You are right about Poland being a great country. I have heard terrible things about Romania. Bulgaria does not appeal.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the hotel costs I quoted are for the best 2 hotels in the resort. You can get very good hotels for £30-£35 / night if you want. Hotel prices start from around £10 / night.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
2 of us are off to Krakow for 4 days at the end of Feb & looking forward to 2 days skiing at Zakopane.

Could jon2211 (or any other Zakopane expert) advise on which areas we should ski to get the most from our trip? We will probably hire a car and are happy to drive about a bit. We'll be at Zakopane on a Monday and Tuesday, which hopefully will avoid the worst of the crowds....Is it feasible to get to any of the Zakopane skiing without a car?

A suggested itinerary would be great plus any further advice on timings, where to buy "Express tickets", where to stay in town etc!

At the hill with the big cable car queue, am I right in thinking that once you are up that's it until you ski down? ie repeated runs not feasible.

Cheers!

Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy