Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crested Butte - What's it like?

Poster: A snowHead
I have the opportunity to ski there next season...so I would welcome any tips, observations or advice.

Many thanks for any comment.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Steep in places, fairly rocky (i.e. early season isn't great). Quite isolated geographically i.e. You'll drive past other skiing to get there from most airports.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dave of the Marmottes, Thank you.....I realize it's a good 5 hour drive from Denver, but aside from that, I know very little. I hope to be going mid- Feb.

Did you spend much time there?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 29-03-17 11:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was very fortunate to spend three or four days there with my OH who was there on a recce for a photo shoot ( some 15hrs or so ago) and was invited by the Crested Bute Tourist Board.

It really is quite unique in that it is almost La Gravesque as it is so different to it's neighbouring resorts and has a very non commercial feel to the place and is very laid back, I loved the feel to the place.

We stayed up the hill in the main resort and not in the town, and I think the town would be the better place to stay.

We took an internal flight I seem to recall from Denver to Guttensburg (or something like that).

I'm not too sure there's enough terrain to warrant more than a weeks stay though so maybe if flying to the US for two weeks go to another resort.

And we were there right at the end of the season, and the snow levels were massive, though being late in the season we did not score powder.

Will always remember having a wee wee in the urinal having a chat to Michael Keaton.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Weathercam, Thx for that.

Any tips on where to eat (or anything else, eg. what's the skiing like)?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Old Fartbag wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, Thank you.....I realize it's a good 5 hour drive from Denver, but aside from that, I know very little. I hope to be going mid- Feb.

Did you spend much time there?

Sorry not skied it, just scoped it when driving past through Gunnison on a summer trip. Know a few people who've skied it a lot and they rate it for US steep inbound skiing (bit like the tougher terrain at Squaw or Taos it sounds lke and a lot of Jackson Hole)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Old Fartbag, I have only been there in summer too. Certainly a very pleasant place with a cool vibe about it. Felt much more 'local' than touristy. As it happens, this just popped into my FB feed: http://www.powder.com/latitudes/passing-through-crested-butte-co/ - makes me want to go there in winter.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pruman wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I have only been there in summer too. Certainly a very pleasant place with a cool vibe about it. Felt much more 'local' than touristy. As it happens, this just popped into my FB feed: http://www.powder.com/latitudes/passing-through-crested-butte-co/ - makes me want to go there in winter.

If do I end up going, I'll report back with my findings.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Old Fartbag, twas a very long time ago, like I said more atmosphere down the hill (bars & restaurants) in the old town, full of wooden clapper board houses and the like.

As for the mountain, I did lots of double black diamonds through the trees and steeps that were quite impressive.

Don't have too many memories of the pistes but like I said "loved the feel of the place".

And Gunnison was the airport that I was thinking of.

Oh well at least I've skied there rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all, for your input - much appreciated.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, I skied it, though only for 2 days.

It's so unlike other places I don't know how to describe it. "What's it like?" "Well, Not like any other places I've been to"! Smile

The pistes are nothing special. But there're many super-steep, cliffty lines I didn't dare to try. The time I was there, condition were not ideal for attempting iffy terrains.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from Crested Butte

The Good
1. Bucolic and quaint little town
2. Due to the conditions, there were very few on the mountain - locals were staying at home and the better known resorts picked up the tourists.
3. We had all bluebird days, bar one
4. There were lots of confidence building runs through the trees
5. We stayed in a beautiful "holiday home" that belonged to one of my Brother's neighbours and which he had organized the use of...and was about 10 min drive to the base area.
6. My back held up

The Bad

1. The length of drive from Denver, though you can fly into Gunnison, which is much closer
2. This year the snow was poor, with little sign of snow making, which meant that rough patches became rougher. I was told that they had used up their allotment of water at the start of the season
3. All of the gnarly areas were closed (steepest skiing in N.America).
4. There were only Chair lifts, some of which were very old school (slow, with no foot rests. There was even one 2 seater, with no safety bar and a centre column that bashed your coccyx, if you weren't lined up accurately).
5. There were no dedicated piste skis available for hire....you were hard pushed to get even an 88mm waist....I suppose the conditions usually don't warrant it.
6. There were few mountain restaurants (3 IIRC)...with the nice one being very expensive
7. The lift pass was expensive (124 Dollars/day), given the amount of skiing available, the lack of snow making, the condition of the pistes and the age of the lifts

Conclusion
If they had normal conditions, the experience would have been quite different, with lots of off piste options, of varying difficulty. As it was, there was limited skiing on hardpack, with the odd patch of sheet ice and brown mountain poking through on the lower runs.

I loved meeting up with my Brother and some of his family, but it was a long way to go for snow that didn't compare with the Alps this year....even if the weather was good and the mountain was empty.

I would have had more fun on my slalom skis, than my Scott The Skis...which is very unusual for Colorado. I was hoping my Daughter would have experienced that famous champagne powder...but it wasn't to be this time.

I may sound a little downbeat, which isn't really the case....but.....

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 1-03-23 19:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Old Fartbag, Thanks for the report, as we are considering CB as part of a roadtrip next season Smile .
But that might not be in the planning now as Telluride has dropped from the mountain collective pass next season Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great on a POWder day , steep in the right places
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bones wrote:
Old Fartbag, Thanks for the report, as we are considering CB as part of a roadtrip next season Smile .
But that might not be in the planning now as Telluride has dropped from the mountain collective pass next season Sad

In case you do end up there, here is some more detailed info:

- The main car park has a $15/day charge. What they don't tell you is there is a free car park, slightly further away.

- The lift pass is an old fashioned affair, which you attach to your zip (with a supplied tag).

- Our 5 day pass had a 6 day window in which it could be used....and there is a saving if done online.

- You can ski a half day in the morning, if you bring your day pass in at lunch time for a refund

- The best Restaurant on the mountain is The Ice Bar at Uley's Cabin (to the right of Red Lady lift). They also do a sleigh ride diner in the evening.

- There are reasonable places to eat at the base area, like Butte 66 Roadhouse Grill (which has a nice sunny balcony); and the Avalanche Bar and Grill.

- We met a lady who was staying at The Elk Mountain Lodge and recommended it (we dropped in for a drink and it looked lovely):
http://www.elkmountainlodge.com/
She said there was a free shuttle bus that went round the town and stopped near by.

- My Niece had a great lady instructor....which I can probably get a name for you, in case it's of interest.

- CB is only worth the effort if the snow is good
ski holidays
Old Fartbag, Thanks for the added info Smile The trips sort of planned, but not finalised yet.

The Telluride departure is a minor detail, but will mean it needs looking at - we'll probably still go and suck up the price of Telluride tickets Toofy Grin

We'd probably only be in CB for 1 or 2 days at the most Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Old Fartbag..............

Did somebody say Crested Buttte......?

In a good year, a gorgeous place, full of dope smoking (it IS legal in Colorady), IPA swilling, bike riding in the snow, filthy bearded/unshaven hippies/hipsters who board more than ski. Hurrah.

You can truly let your chickens run free when down in the Butte, dude...........................
snow conditions
arcsinice wrote:
Old Fartbag..............

Did somebody say Crested Buttte......?

In a good year, a gorgeous place, full of dope smoking (it IS legal in Colorady), IPA swilling, bike riding in the snow, filthy bearded/unshaven hippies/hipsters who board more than ski. Hurrah.

You can truly let your chickens run free when down in the Butte, dude...........................

Yup, I saw all of that. What I didn't see was a lot of snow, unfortunately (which I was really looking forward to).
snow report
Quote:

What I didn't see was a lot of snow, unfortunately (which I was really looking forward to).

@Old Fartbag, in your post, you said you were hoping to go in mid-Feb. You didn't ask about snow or best time to go...

The main attraction of CB is the super-steep off-piste routes. Those don't get snow covered till Feb AT THE EARLIEST!

So yes, you've been unlucky with the low snow of this year. But you would have missed the best skiing even if this were a normal year.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Quote:

What I didn't see was a lot of snow, unfortunately (which I was really looking forward to).

@Old Fartbag, in your post, you said you were hoping to go in mid-Feb. You didn't ask about snow or best time to go...

The main attraction of CB is the super-steep off-piste routes. Those don't get snow covered till Feb AT THE EARLIEST!

So yes, you've been unlucky with the low snow of this year. But you would have missed the best skiing even if this were a normal year.

I was tying in with my Brother, so it ended up in Jan to suit his schedule. .

I was not too worried about missing the steepest skiing, as my back has been playing up....but would have liked some powder to play in.
snow report
Southern Rockies aren't exactly known for powder. At least not on frequency or amount. (though of good quality if you get lucky on your timing).

Moreover, more snow falls in Feb/March than Jan. So statistically, you're at a disadvantage.

Granted, this year is quite a bit below average. So you were being unlucky.
ski holidays
I agree with the previous posts, great challenging skiing,super steep, as they are patrolled and avalanche cleared, relatively safe, but mountain savvy needed, cliffs steep drops, convex slopes compares favourably to Jackson Hole, Jackson gets a bit more snow,One needs to be confident in ones ability. Not a place where EGO is not matched by abilty. as fall on a 50' + slope ?.A great town to stay better late Feb?March, Gunnison Airport is 30 mlies from Crested Butte.flights from Dallas,Denver, Chicago,American,United, Delta have regular flights.Some might think limited , the advanced/ intermediate easy a bit limited, a good skier looking for serious skiing Wow At the moment not so good Im there 20 Feb so any body around love to meet up.
snow conditions
@Kas507866, If my original plan had worked out - I'd love to have met up.....I certainly saw the potential, though I'm not sure my old bones would have been up to the steepest challenges.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy