Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2nd Chance.

Poster: A snowHead
Has anybody ever heard of a closed resort opening two lifts, never mind one, for a group of ordinary punters?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
He's got some pictures on his website
http://www.lawrencejones.eu/chapter2
http://www.lawrencejones.eu/chapter3
Go to his home page - "about Lawrence" he breaks the story into chapters

Not sure if this adds anything, except maybe underlying the aim of bigging himself up as some sort of motivational business coach rolling eyes

In the pictures I can't see the backpacks that would have held the shovels used in the impressively fast excavation of the victim
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Has anybody ever heard of a closed resort opening two lifts, never mind one, for a group of ordinary punters?

No.

As someone else said, on reflection, the whole thing smells of cowd00 to me. No guide is that foolish. The errors in the terminology and description suggest someone who does not have first hand experience and as chamcham says - opening two lifts when the resort is closed for safety reasons? The lifties would get fired. Plus the nonsense about being picked up by heli when the weather is too bad to run the lifts...

I think it is nonsense on stilts.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"Quite by chance, this year's expedition had two doctors with us"

I guess that pretty well backs up that old saying about high intelligence not necessarily being linked with common sense.

As an Alpe d'Huez regular I am very, very surprised that that they would "open up" the 2 largest cable cars in the ski area for a handful of people. He does not mention other passengers, such as pisteurs. Actually the 2 largest cable cars come up from Vaujany to The Dome des Rousses via a mid station where you walk 30m from cable car to cable car, you cannot access Pic Blanc from the Dome, you need to ski down and get the Pic Blanc cable car. He does not mention skiing down between cable cars. If they started from Alpe d'Huez on the Troncons, the first part of that is on large "bubbles" that hold about 25 at most. Again starting that up for a few people seems highly unlikely to me as there would immedaitely be a crowd at the steps wanting to know what was going on, and more importantly, when they could get on Laughing The second stage (or technically third) is on a relatively old cable car that is very susceptible to wind stoppages.
I am sure his basic story is true, surely you would not make up that sort of thing completely Puzzled but the detail is very inconsistent imho.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are 2 guides in Alpe d'Huez called Stephane, and one in Vaujany, there may be others, Stéphane Laurenceau, Stéphane Marigot and Stephane Garezynski. Maybe if anyone knows any of them, I don't, they should let them know of their possible fame.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@geeo, @Charliebigpotatoes, I see the anger management courses are working!

This whole thing rings about as true as the storylines involving either farming or horses in The Archers!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
More here
http://www.lawrencejones.eu/search-marketing/2011/01/23/what-doesnt-kill-you-makes-you-stronger/

I'm more confused than ever
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On the rocks wrote:

I'm more confused than ever

Likewise. One shovel between them!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here you go
https://www.insidermedia.com/publications/north-west-business-insider/north-west-business-insider-december-2010/lawrence-jones

Admission skiing off the back of the mountain with a group of mates, ill equipped (one shovel) and no guide.

The whole story seems to have been embellished to support his business career, at the risk of tainting the reputation of any local guides called Stefan!

"Lawrence Jones, managing director at web hosting business UKFast, is recounting the time in 2001 when he was hammered by an avalanche in the French ski resort of Alpe D'Huez. He and his friends had skied 'off the back' of the mountain on a day when they shouldn't have. It was a risk, but one they felt prepared for, or so they thought."

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 29-03-17 12:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Various research sources give different figures for survival after total oxygen deprivation. Overall avalanche survival stats for Canada CH and Austria are meticulously held, but are contaminated by issues of death by trauma, and inability to record the existence of air pockets or not. The research studies emphasise that no air pocket (as reported in this case) leads to very low chance of survival beyond 5-15mins, with the likelihood stacked to the lower end of this range, due to brain death typically starting after 5 mins after o2 deprivation. When doing training I have been given 2 mins to find victims, with that being the time uiagm guides associate with 'no damage' extrication without trauma. Obviously these are worst case figures and based on averages, so the upper tail could stretch some. Seven minutes with airways clogged is right at the upper end? It's an exceptionally trained and very fortunate searcher using transceiver and probe in a large debris field after a sweeping avalanche to find and extricate in seven minutes. I've tried it. The buried 'victim' transceiver has always 'died'. Stars aligned? Misremembered details?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry more - I've just noticed the statement 'upside down under 8 feet of snow'. I think the writer may be guilty of a little embelliment here. I have dug compacted post slide material many times. Unless anyone has other experience I have found digging even a metre through compacted snow with a portable shovel (and it has to be alloy not plastic) a very slow process. 2.5 metres in seven minutes, including location time using one transceiver? Hmmmm.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 29-03-17 11:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On the rocks wrote:
Here you go
https://www.insidermedia.com/publications/north-west-business-insider/north-west-business-insider-december-2010/lawrence-jones

Admission skiing off the back of the mountain with a group of mates, ill equipped (one shovel) and no guide.

The whole story seems to have been embellished to support his business career, at the risk of tainting the reputation of any local guides called Stefan!

"There are 2 guides in Alpe d'Huez called Stephane, and one in Vaujany, there may be others, Stéphane Laurenceau, Stéphane Marigot and Stephane Garezynski. Maybe if anyone knows any of them, I don't, they should let them know of their possible fame."

Actually I think Stephane Garezynski is also known as Stefan. Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@valais2, It's fiction, and not very believable fiction either! He probably saw it on Casualty or similar!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It would appear that the "event" occurred back in Jan 2001 so difficult to verify. Elements do seem a little far fetched and the language for someone who is a snowsports regular and owns a hotel in Switzerland is poor!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Reading between the lines (see my edited post above) . He was with a group of in-experienced and ill-equipped (I'm guessing no transceivers) mates and no guide. When he was caught he was buried upside down with his head 8 foot (give or take 3 foot) underground with his board or something else visible to his friends so they could find him and dig him out.

In itself this would be a humbling and not exceptional incident. The need to embellish and involve a fictitious guide purely to support his business website is pathetic beyond belief
snow conditions
@On the rocks, aargh this is where details really matter, if a true post mortem is to yield any insights for future practice. Obviously the main learning pounts around the story relate to pre-activity planning (most avalanche deaths occur because of decisions made around the breakfast table) and groupthink. But let's look at the recovery. 2.5 metres and upside down, with board on one foot (although account says he was carrying) could leave some equipment equipment visible - i.e. Height of victim 2 metres, half of board 80cms - and thus would make a hell of a difference. There are accounts of a person buried quite deeply but with arm extended, ski pole attached to wrist, with 20cms or so visible above the surface - location and retrieval has been very prompt in these circumstances. The details matter and the detail in this story is a bit all over the place.
ski holidays
Do you not think we're all readying a bit too much into this? He's writing an "origin" story about why people are so important to him and therefore why he treats them so well at his company. Sure, it's full of bravado and gaper dangly bits but does that really matter?

It's all fun and games slagging the fella off but his company (i thought his name rang a bell when i started reading it) has just won 1st in Manchester and 5th nationally for best companies to work for so he can't be a total douchebag.
snow report
@galpinos, I think that's right; he didn't post it on Snowheads someone else did and you are right to draw attention to purpose.
ski holidays
galpinos wrote:
Do you not think we're all readying a bit too much into this? He's writing an "origin" story about why people are so important to him and therefore why he treats them so well at his company. Sure, it's full of bravado and gaper dangly bits but does that really matter?

It's all fun and games slagging the fella off but his company (i thought his name rang a bell when i started reading it) has just won 1st in Manchester and 5th nationally for best companies to work for so he can't be a total douchebag.

Having read the blog, I'd not be keen on working with him - too much bravado and naivety involved. Though I can understand how the story might appeal to a non-skier.
latest report
admin wrote:
......feet are likely to pierce the upper layers of snow potentially destabilising the snowpack (identified as a key factor in the Tignes avalanche earlier this season). The more steps you take, the worse the risk becomes.

I think it's worth expanding on this for those who don't understand the mechanism of what you're are saying here. I think you are trying to say that on foot, the chance of disturbing weak layers buried in the snowpack is higher?

admin wrote:
In the scenario described in the story, the boarder would have been wise to simply take a lower traverse in order to exit the risk zone as quickly as possible, without adding extra stress to the snowpack. It's fair to say that what he did was far from the best approach.

As much as I was enjoying your heated discussion with geeo, I have been in situations where just taking a lower traverse was not necessarily an option and can think of multiple others so I think you're giving geeo too much of a hard time. This is an embellished "how I saw the light" blog post, not "fact" so I think it's safe to say what's on paper and what actually happened may not recognise each other should they pass in the street. The few photos that on there show them without rucksacks and the inconsistencies in his re-telling of the tale point to a story, not an account of what happened.

As a skier, I would imagine I would try to hold a high a line a possible then side step up at an appropriate moment to make up the height, i'm not sure what the equivalent on a board is?
snow report
jellylegs wrote:
Having read the blog, I'd not be keen on working with him - too much bravado and naivety involved. Though I can understand how the story might appeal to a non-skier.

It was 16 years ago? I would imagine many of us have made naive and bravado induced decisions in our youth that we hope we would not still be judged on. Experience is built on the mistakes you make and survive.
ski holidays
No
The blog is deceitful

It seems he and his mates (like many other groups) made a bad decision to ski off piste given the conditions, equipment and experience. He had a lucky escape, largely due to luck and the hard work of his mates. A more honest commentary would have been to recognise the mistake and learn from it.

What is inexcusable is apparently transferring the responsibility for this bad decision from himself to a fictitious guide rather than risk damaging his reputation for responsible decision making, in the process possibly damaging the reputation of a real guide.

No I wasn't there but with the holes in the blog story and inconsistency with his account inked in my post above I find it difficult to draw another conclusion. However I would welcome enlightenment if there is a better explanation.
ski holidays
@On the rocks, I agree with you especially with respect to the / a guides reputation. A quick google with stefan or stephane / guide / alpe d'huez brings up those names above. For an internet savvy guy to not check out his "story" is not going to cause problems seems an odd way to behave. If he already knew the guide it's even more of a strange thing to do. if I was one of those Stefans / Stephanes and this guy had been a client at some time I would not be impressed.
snow conditions
@skitow, @On the rocks, @galpinos, IT IS QUITE CLEARLY FICTION! This is NOT a true story. This incident never happened. It has been made up.....
latest report
8ft under - dug out in 8 minutes with one shovel - it must have been a JCB; Embellished BS at best!
snow report
I'm impressed that his beanie didn't come off, and everyone's clothes are still model fresh after such a deep dig.....
ski holidays
bit of a tw@t isn't he ?
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
bit of a tw@t isn't he ?

Well doesn't appear MBE vetting weights sH opinion highly. Though he might have awarded himself that too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perhaps if you have been starved of oxygen for 8 minutes you can forget bits and embellish things a bit.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Well doesn't appear MBE vetting weights sH opinion highly.

First Brexit, now this!!!! The world is going to hell in a handcart.
latest report
@DrLawn, grief I must stop looking at this thread....but I was surprised at the photo of the two guys holding his head whilst he lay on the ground. I was surprised that there was a photo at all ... when trying to recover and revive a person from this kind of situation the last thing which goes through my mind is 'I need to get a nice photo of this' - I have been in quite a few scrapes on the hill and getting a photo for posterity is about the last thing on my list when people's wellbeing is at stake. So that IS a bit weird. Secondly, the left hand guy with the goggles does look for all the world as if he is smiling at the camera. Is both taking the photo and the apparent smile a result of 'extreme relief at finding LJ?'. If you google 'avalanche vicitim picture' you find ... no equivalent photos at all, unless I am missing something. Looking at photos of extreme situations, like Larry Burrows' Yankee Papa 13, you don't tend to find anyone smiling at any cameras, just tension, action and stress, and that's my experience too.
snow report
@valais2, haha, if you just saw the photos, you'd think it was a total set up. The first one, there's a bit of spindrift but you can see for about 20 miles to the peaks in the background and the sky is blue.. None of them are wearing backpacks, and the rescue photo, lol, it's like "look what we just found dudes!!". Lifts were probably closed due to high winds and would've opened that day anyway. Guys got a bit out of their depth and he had a bad fall. Conditions were so bad they were dicking around shoving each other over...

And it was 2001.

Anyway, fair play to the guy, I couldn't be bothered to read it all but I can imagine it scared the beejesus out of him, but I can also see why it's pissed off a few Very Happy
latest report
@Bodeswell,
Quote:

I can imagine it scared the beejesus out of him

Why? It never happened. It is not real. It is a story. It is about as likely as Sylvester Stallone living in the Vietnamese jungle and coming across Martin Sheen killing Marlon Brando! Laughing
ski holidays
Hmmm, I can imagine LJ adding March of the Valkyries as a soundtrack to his embellished account
snow report
@On the rocks, Do you think he surfs?
ski holidays
@Gordyjh, ..Ok someone has to do it...

http://youtube.com/v/TPT3RFTpSUw
snow conditions
Are we hitting google front page yet for "Lawrence Jones Avalanche" - just wondering when this thread hits his radar and he has an opportunity to defend his BS?
ski holidays
I understand somebody has sent him a FB message with a link to this thread.
snow report
We should be careful what we say here, Lawrence Jones is clearly a man who holds honesty and integrity in high regard. This is how he started his blog of 19 March:

"I grew up believing journalists have a responsibility to tell the truth and paint a clear and accurate picture of what is happening in the world. Lately, however, headlines are becoming more about grabbing people’s attention and selling as many papers as possible, often with no relation whatsoever to the story they are driving you towards."
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Are we hitting google front page yet for "Lawrence Jones Avalanche" - just wondering when this thread hits his radar and he has an opportunity to defend his BS?

Or explain why it's not BS. I must admit that I think people have been a touch unfair on him without giving him the right to reply, especially as it's easy to contact the chap to ask for his comment.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy