Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Bargain thread!

Poster: A snowHead
some very good deals on brand new Oakley goggles on privatesportshop.co.uk
I know its one you have to register etc, same as sportspursuit.com but they do have some bargains

https://www.privatesportshop.co.uk/1072526-goggles?p=1

Just a heads up, I've got no affiliation to the company.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And Smith I/O Chromopop for a bargain £89 on Sportpursuit, for those of us who don't like Oakley.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nothing against Smith, I've used them before with success, but the I/O is a good few years old now, so not a great bargain at that price, even given that the lenses are good.

Some of the Oakleys, even with the new prism persimmon lens are below £70
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Roguevfr, sub £70 with 2 lenses included?

Tbh I've never read a review that put any great distance between Prism and Chromapop, but haven't compared the two myself.

E.g. https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-ski-goggles
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As you probably know, I think only the airbrake XL comes with 2 lenses from oakley, and it's not one of those at that price point.
Nevertheless, most people rated the prizm as probably the best lens overall. I certainly think it has the edge.
Depends on the frame/ lens combo, but I was certainly surprised at the relative prices on what is perhaps oakleys best seller, the flight deck, as well as newer models such as the fall line range and the line miner range.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Honestly there really isn't a huge deal of difference between Prizm, Chromapop, Lumalens or Sonar. The fact that Oakley comes with one lens only (often for a similar price to those goggles that come with two) AND the lens changing system on Oakley goggles is by far the worst of all of the manufacturers making goggles these days, puts them bottom for me. It's all about convenience on the mountain (I suppose you can argue having only one lens is convenient, but when they say you don't need to change lenses with Oakleys because they're that good in all conditions, it's a huge lie).

Smith - magnetic plus clip on recent goggles, takes maybe 10 seconds to replace
Anon - purely magnetic, takes 5 seconds to take one lens off and put another one on
Dragon - swiftlock system on recent goggles can change within 10 seconds
Oakley - still making goggles with outdated hooks/inserts that you have to pull out and then place in individually for a majority of their goggles. Terrible.

From recent personal experience, I would recommend Anon's M4 with Sonar lens - the infrared lens is THE best flat/low light lens I've ever used. Probably the closest comparator I've used is the Storm Yellow Chromapop or the lowest light Prizm (forget which one it is now).
My current goggles bought recently are the Dragon PXV2 - they come with Lumalens which is also really great - haven't had a chance to use the low light lens.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This thread has developed into a comparison thread, which is not really the point. I'm sure all the goggles mentioned above are fantastic, although I had a very poor experience with anon m2s. Nevertheless, whether you prefer any of the above brands , none of those are available at the price quoted above, which are exceptional for Oakley.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Apologies, on topic with goggles, I'd throw this in:

https://www.shadestation.co.uk/ski-goggles/Dragon/NFX2/NFX2-TWO-28605-333

Dragon NFX2 (with the Swiftlock technology and spare low light lens) for £105. It is essentially a direct comparator to the Fall Line XM/XL (probably somewhere in between size wise). The main Oakleys on privatesportshop that are cheaper are the Flight Deck and Line Miner (why you would want goggles that have been around and not updated for 4-5 years when there seems to be a big difference between goggles from that period and today's goggles, I will never know) and also the Fall Line XM/XL, which are more modern, but only one lens and poor lens change system, as mentioned above. So I would classify that as a good deal! wink Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Seems ironic then that you disparage oakleys "terrible" lens change system , while your latest pair of dragon pxv2 (snappy name) has a not dissimilar method described as a huge step backwards from the Nfx2 which in itself has been around since 2014, so no more modern than the Oakley models you dismissed earlier.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So the NFX and PXV (originals) had a terrible system (like the Oakleys) where you have to insert the slots from the lens into every hole on the frame individually, and were several years old like you mentioned. The NFX2 (released in 2019 I believe, or possibly the 18/19 season) and the PXV2 (released this 19/20 season only) both have the Swiftlock technology which is just two little levers on each side and takes about 10 seconds to change the lenses. Also with this system are the X2 and X2s lenses which are some cool spherical alternatives to the above cylindrical (or toric in the case of the PXV2) goggles.

I can undo both levers, remove the lens, place the spare lens in and do both levers up, in seconds, whilst standing strapped to my board or skis and whilst wearing my mitts. Minimal inconvenience or messing around on the mountain. So it's amazing. The only thing "better" is the new magnetic system for the Anon M4 (which is different to the M3 and M2).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Are they available for £70 ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Roguevfr and @karansaraf please start a new thread if you want to compare stuff. This thread is to post bargains. Thank you
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've got a drop dead deal on my last few pairs of Scott Superguide 95's including skins: https://www.thepisteoffice.com/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@spyderjon, that's a great deal! I bite your hand off if I didn't already have a pair.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fixx wrote:
@spyderjon, that's a great deal! I bite your hand off if I didn't already have a pair.

That won't stop him legging you over for another as back up wink
ski holidays
Dynastar have just offered snowHeads a great deal on their last few remaining Legend 96's of which they currently have a few left in every length.

Prices are:
19/20 Dynastar Legend 96's, without bindings, 171cm/178cm/186cm @ £269.00 collected or £289.00 inc UK shipping.
or
19/20 Dynastar Legend 96's, with SPX 12 GW 100mm bindings, 171cm/178cm/186cm @ £336.00 collected or £356.00 inc UK shipping.

If you go for the bindings then they come seperately and I will drill/mount them in with the price. Shipping excludes Highlands, Islands & remote areas. PM, email or call me to order.
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
I've got a drop dead deal on my last few pairs of Scott Superguide 95's including skins: https://www.thepisteoffice.com/

Only two pairs of 168's left.
snow report
Backcountry UK in Otley have virtually the entire Black Crows range at Euro Interweb prices. I may buy some more skis I don't need.
snow conditions
I've just bought skis from Glisshop. Prices were good but the delivery was incredible- ordered Sunday night, turned up this morning.
snow report
Bargain at Aldi reduced middle aisle. Got merino base layers at two pounds, well £1.99 really. Random sizes as you’d expect but worth a ramble round the baskets if you happen to be in there socially distancing...
snow conditions
Sports Pursuit have Dynastar skis at bargain prices.
latest report
Winter climbers heads up

https://rockrun.com/collections/mens-mountaineering-boots/products/scarpa-manta-pro-gtx-mountaineering-boot
ski holidays
Lee Shaw wrote:
Sports Pursuit have Dynastar skis at bargain prices.

They’re only 50% off!

Lacroix skis on privatesportshop up to 70% off, must haves for anyone to match with Bognor skiwear

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 2-06-20 13:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Anyone know/guess if the Sport Pursuit skis would have the bindings mounted. Tempted - good prices for 2020 Dynastar models IMO.
snow conditions
I believe there are listings for both mounted and flat skis.
ski holidays
@dunc999, If you're looking at the Dynastars might be worth chatting to @spyderjon, as he deals in them, to see what he can offer (support our independent retailers too...)
snow report
more skis on sale on sportpursuit
ski holidays
Welcome to snowHeads @iv, snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dunc999 wrote:
Anyone know/guess if the Sport Pursuit skis would have the bindings mounted. Tempted - good prices for 2020 Dynastar models IMO.

SportPursuit don't mount bindings so you'd need someone to mount them for you wink. However if the bindings are the Konect or Xpress models then their bases are factory mounted and the toes'n'heels come in a seperate box and can be easily slid on to the rail and it's a doodle to set the forward pressure and the dins etc.
snow report
Thanks @spyderjon, I think they come with the Konect so should be OK. I was gonna give you a call today to see what you could actually as it happens.
snow report
@spyderjon, a half an hour well spent on the phone earlier, cheers again. Smile
ski holidays
Amazon has the Sportube Series 3 Special Edition on sale for just over 100 quids. This one comes with extra accessories and a lifetime warranty: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003STEEGQ/?tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
I've got a fantastic offer on a limited number of next seasons 20-21 Scott skis
latest report
A couple of weeks ago I saw sorrel Caribou boots advertised for 30+3.95pp on fruugo rrp is 150 but shopping around you can get them much less than that..I was a bit suspicious with such a low price and had never used fruugo but at that price it was worth a punt.. after a slight hicup with delivery and a damaged box I am really pleased with the purchase..never heard of fruugo before but it is a marketplace for sellers to list their unwanted stock, my boots came from JD Sports.
snow conditions
@spyderjon, got the Legends from Sportspursuit, looks like a lot of models sold out. Just as you described,rails already mounted with Xpress bindings in a box which look easy enough to slide on but struggling on first inspection to see where the forward pressure is adjusted. Maybe it will become apparent when I get them on.
snow conditions
@ster, The forward pressure indicator is located in a square window on the left hand side of the heel housing. When the boot is out of the binding the window will be all yellow.

First position the toe binding as per the boot length scale on the toe rail. Position the heel binding on heel rail in such a position that when the boot is installed the left hand half of the window (ie the toe side) shows yellow and the right hand half is clear. There's no fine adjustment of the FP, you just have to move the heel forwards/backwards on the rail until you find a notch/position that's gives you the 50/50 yellow/clear in the window. If you can't get it 50/50 then use the heel position that's closest to that.
snow report
@spyderjon, cheers! I was looking for the fine adjustment as on other bindings we have, good to know there isn't one.

Nice looking skis and most importantly I think they will match the OH’s boots and new jacket.
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
@ster, The forward pressure indicator is located in a square window on the left hand side of the heel housing. When the boot is out of the binding the window will be all yellow.

First position the toe binding as per the boot length scale on the toe rail. Position the heel binding on heel rail in such a position that when the boot is installed the left hand half of the window (ie the toe side) shows yellow and the right hand half is clear. There's no fine adjustment of the FP, you just have to move the heel forwards/backwards on the rail until you find a notch/position that's gives you the 50/50 yellow/clear in the window. If you can't get it 50/50 then use the heel position that's closest to that.

PS. Then found a small slip of paper in the binding box confirming exactly that ( but in less detail).
snow conditions
Sport Pursuit are selling Volcom snow gear here for some mad discounts -

http://recp.mkt51.net/ctt?m=23493169&r=MTc2MTYyNzY3MzQxS0&b=0&j=MTc4MDM2NDA2MAS2&k=t-c.c-19094.i-2.&kx=1&kt=12&kd=https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/volcomsnow-jul20?utm_source=SilverpopMailing%26utm_medium=email%26utm_campaign=w-sp.e-ws.d-20200708.st-UK_EU_AU.m-weekly_opt_in.a-1-1_CRT_Wednesday.%20(1)

Eg. the Guide 3L Gore Tex Shell RRP 550 for 200. I paid 375 for it in the sale in January.

A lot of their GTX stuff is more than 50% off.

Guide GTX pants 170 (RRP 395)
L Gore Tex Jacket 120 (RRP 275)
TDS GTX Jacket 240 (RRP 540)
BL Stretch GTX Jacket 150 (RRP 375)

Volcom make some really awesome gear, especially gore tex. And they have the zip tech.

Most sizes seemed available last night when I looked at them.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 8-07-20 16:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I got rosignol experience 88's from Snowtrax for £300 delivered, RRP is £625. the 84's were even greater discount
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy