Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Movement Demon Flame vs Dynastar Legend 4800 vs Stockli Stormrider AT

Poster: A snowHead
I have tested these 3 skis in the past 2 weeks. My original test list was different, and included the Head Monster77 and Dynastar Legend 8000 Fibre, but I could find nowhere with them on test, or those on the racks were simply too long for my weight.

My favourite was the Stockli Stormrider AT 158. I found them very easy to turn and the edge hold to be rock solid. A very smooth ride, which seemed to be unshakeable, in all types of turn. I took part in a Stockli Demo Day at Crans Montana, which meant that my test was free Very Happy . Priced at SFr 699, plus bindings.

Slightly behind in edge grip was the Movement Demon Flame 159. Again, really easy to turn, would suffer slightly from tip wobble at high speed, cured by treating them as carvers. Very easy to live with, just as manageable on narrow tracks as they were on black runs. I used them for 2 days, and was sad to hand them back. Priced at SFr 699
plus bindings.

Trailing well behind in my rankings is the Dynastar Legend 4800 158.. This ski had been top of my expectations list and I was very disappointed. I took an almost new pair for 3 days, and found they were sad, soggy, flappy things with mediocre edge hold on the boiler plate. Priced at SFr 675 plus bindings. I would not accept a pair as a gift, well maybe I would, but only to sell them wink

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 4-02-06 21:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowbunny, interesting, I've never skied the AT's. Did you try any other Stöcklis?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ise,
Quote:

snowbunny, interesting, I've never skied the AT's. Did you try any other Stöcklis?

The AT's were the only Stockli's on my "all mountain" shortlist. I believe that I'm too lightweight for the Stormrider XL. The AT is quite a light ski with a foam core, fortunately for my credit card balance I found no-one who stocked the ski, whilst in Valais wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowbunny,

In view of your other post which stated you had 12 days of boiler plate I would reckon these conditions to be right up the Stockli's street.
Admittedly I haven't tried the AT but all the Stcokli's I have tried excelled on hardpack and great edge hold is a given in my experience...

I would think the 4800 would be better suited to more changable conditions. In conditions such as your I see no point in not have a slalom/GS ski for hacking around on and the Stockli's I've used do a good impressio of these
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowbunny wrote:
ise,
Quote:

The AT's were the only Stockli's on my "all mountain" shortlist. I believe that I'm too lightweight for the Stormrider XL. The AT is quite a light ski with a foam core, fortunately for my credit card balance I found no-one who stocked the ski, whilst in Valais wink

Stop at the Vevey store which you see from the autoroute and get last years at a large discount Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JT, I was a bit miffed to not find all the skis on my shortlist in the resort shops. The level of service also varied greatly. Typically I would go into a retailer, find a tech, explain that I wanted to demo for purchase, offer my list...which would be read and handed back, then the techie goes to the rack, pulls out a totally different ski and says..."These are good...they're carvers!"... rolling eyes Perhaps I look stupid enough to want to rent a 3 year old pair of bangers Twisted Evil Perhaps it's British women skiers that qualify to be treated with contempt by resort shops, anyway I did not hang around to research the reasons. Most shops had no demo stock in the appropriate length for my weight. The enlightened staff in Valsport in Grimentz were smart enough to interpret my shortlist and suggest the Movement Demon Flame Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowbunny,

That doesn't sound too good...!! I walk and have a look at their stock. I tell them what I want and go elsewhere if they haven't got it. If they are good enough to offer something they consider comparable I tell them I may come back if I can't find what I am looking for. I have even asked them if they know of any shop that stocks a certain ski, if they are helpful here I make a note to come back to these helpful people if I can't find what I really want. I wouldn't take the 'these will do you' attitude if that is how I felt it came across.

I must say that I always use the Stockli shop in Engelberg and they are first class...and not the most expensive either, for example the Dynastars 8000 were 35chf dearer over the 4 days...!! And when I took back a Stormrider with a gash right upto the edge... it needed filling straight away but was the only mark on the ski, they exchanged them straight away without a complaint... I felt so embarrassed I was going to fill it myself but knew the shop would do a much better job...
Would you buy the AT's?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT,
Quote:

Would you buy the AT's?

Yes, but I may wait to see if I can find any in an end of season sale, as my ski buying habit causes a little Embarassed at home snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT, where in Engelberg is it? Might test some XLs if I've got time...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
slikedges,

Its on the way to the main lift.. opposite the main car park... there is a retail shop with loads of skis and a service centre..!!
I paid 105chf for 4 days hire. When I go back I'll be after some Snake BC's for deep snow days, hopefully

When are you there ?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, 9th March, was planning on bringing own skis and it's just a day so time is precious, but may try to make a weekend a little later Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slikedges,

Sounds good, you can't miss the shop its on the right as you turn into the road upto the big lift.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ise,
Quote:

Stop at the Vevey store which you see from the autoroute and get last years at a large discount

Is this Vevey- Montreux?. I have never seen a ski shop from the motorway? Which exit please, and what is the store called?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowbunny wrote:
ise,
Quote:

Stop at the Vevey store which you see from the autoroute and get last years at a large discount

Is this Vevey- Montreux?. I have never seen a ski shop from the motorway? Which exit please, and what is the store called?

It's the large one labeled Stöckli Very Happy

on the a9/a12 interchange, they've a map
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ise, Wonderful, thank you Very Happy . I feel a retail therapy moment is approaching Very Happy
latest report
snowbunny, I've not been in for weeks, I'm not sure what stock is left though. They'll only be selling the ski cheap, bindings will at or very near full price.
latest report
ise,
Quote:

snowbunny, I've not been in for weeks, I'm not sure what stock is left though. They'll only be selling the ski cheap, bindings will at or very near full price.

Some women like buying shoes, other buy handbags, guess what I like to buy lots of Very Happy
ski holidays
carrots?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy