Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts with both great downhill & extensive cross country skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We regularly go skiing in a group to large ski areas such as the 3 Valleys. One of the group has decided she only wants to do cross country skiing in future. That worked really well in Meribel this year, which has extensive cross country skiing and good teaching. The instructor took them on trips of up to 15km in a 2.5 hour class. I don't want future trips to always be limited to Meribel, but get the impression that in many other larger resorts, cross country is extremely limited. Any suggestions as to which other European resorts are great both for downhill and cross country?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Aosta valley is a fantastic place for cross country skiing and also alpine skiing. It has many different venues for both. To enjoy the huge variety you would need to have your own car.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Trysil for really great cross country and good alpine.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Davos
Les Saisies
Chamrousse (probably too small for your ski needs)
All the Vercors plateau areas (again probably downhill too limited for you)
la Clusaz/le Grand Bornand
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Clusaz has loads of x country in 3 different areas, lots to do for non skiers, reduced entry to the gorgeous huge swimming pool complex, ice rink etc, a museum of skiing, and world famous free ride off piste downhill, Candide Thovex is from there.
Only thing is it's a tad low compared to some places so don't go after March really.
Been there year on year with my mum, she spends ages snowshoeing on the trails as she can't ski.

www.laclusaz.com
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would suggest any Scandanavian/Lapland resorts - but it depends if downhill means lots of and long or not. My albeit limited experience of such resorts is that they're good fun but not of alpine proportions of the downhill kind (though can have very nice and challenging runs and generally pretty good snow).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
St. Moritz. The Engadin X-country network is huge and the scenery stunning. The downhill skiing is not bad either.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Julian T, Livigno has really extensive and well maintained cross country trails. They're usually one of the first European areas to open their trails and you see a lot of top level athletes training there. The downhill ski area is nowhere near as big as the 3 valleys, but it's a far more pleasant experience IMO.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another thought is Andermatt.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wouldn't say Meribel had good cross country?

+1 for Livigno.

Seefeld has excellent cross country, but limited downhill. You can get to good downhill reasonably quickly.

Banff is excellent for both. Not Europe I know, but just saying...

If you take a car, somewhere like the Ski Amade can cover all bases.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Davos is superb for both from my viewing though I've only actually skied alpine there, but the x country is very extensive.

Serre Chevalier has some nice x country at Monetier and beyond. With a car it has outstanding x country up in Vallee de Claree or at Cervieres.

The Maurienne valley has some very good alpine resorts though not as large as some with an outstanding X country area up at Bessans.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Paradiski area of Les Arcs and La Plagne. Awesome alpin skiing and really extensive cross country areas.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Les Saisies, as suggested above, would be a good bet, particularly late in the season, as the cross-country trails (125kms) are mostly above 1600m. Nearly 200 kms of downhill too. Nothing very taxing on the downhill side of things, but some accessible (and not quickly tracked out) off piste possibilities.

Some seriously taxing cross-country trails, as well as plenty of more gentle ones - and good tuition available.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I vote to make this thread a Snowhead Best Answer thread!

Admin, is there a section where thread with most useful answers reside, so one can easily look them up?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My memory of Les Saisies is that the XC was probably better and certainly more challenging than the downhill piste options. Was an interesting experience as a XC virgin tackling some of the downhills on the "hard" circuit.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy