Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Girls, Girls, Girls.

Poster: A snowHead
rpft@rpft.co.uk, I can't see why you'd want to change - I certainly won't be and I'm not tall, but I've always had "regular" skis and am perfectly happy, no point. I didn't try the "Fast Thang" in the end at the Mondial as Liz B did, and didn't think that much to them - well (not to be rude Liz) I ski a fair bit better than her, so I couldnt see the point. However, one of the local shops is keen for me to try the Atomic ladies GS ski, so I probably will after the hols are over. When they produce a female equivalent to the Fischer WC SC ski I'll look forward to it. I want a ski to reward me for getting it right and punish me for getting it wrong, it must be precise, hold very well, do all radius turns happily and go everywhere. I don't care that much about weight .... ARE THERE ANY REAL LADIES SKIS LIKE THIS??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski, I can't see why you'd want to change

I doubt that I will - I usually get my dad's hand me downs now anyway (not right I know) - he buys great skis & often! we're the same height, though he's a faster, better skier, so I have to work harder!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think women's skis are a great idea. I like the funky top-sheets and as a non-aggressive skier I need something lightweight and soft-ish or else I have a tendency to try and turn on the tails on my skis for some reason.

I also find a lot of skis too heavy. I could barely lift the Salomon Scream extra hots I demoed last season both in the powder and in the gondola queue. Shocked

"Soft" is the new "hard" after all! Cool
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski,

Atomic would claim that their ladies race skis (the blue/white ones)would do all that you expect

i think it will take time for the manufacturers to come round to catering for all levels of female skier, they have got a lot better over the past couple of years. they are just taking time to adapt, after all they have only just got it together that women acually have differnt feet to men and need boots that fit a little differently

may be a personal view but i think a lot of it comes down to money...they won't sell as many top end models so if they don't make them women at that level of the sport will just make do with the mens / unisex model as there is no alternative.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM, The difference's in womens 'feet' (read feet) are? Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
CEM, The difference's in womens 'feet' (read feet) are? Little Angel

The colour of the toenails! Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, Thats about it. Little Angel
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
what answers do you want: how about (and these are in general and by no means an exhuastative list)

narrower ankles, lower more shaped calf muscle, more ligamentous laxity, shallower forefoot, poorer circulation (don't ask why but medical fact), differing proximity of the metatarsal heads to males........bored now so i will let you add a few if you like Little Angel Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM, Ok, now how many ladies fit ski boots are there?

Half of your facts are inaccurate IMHO. Just my observetions. You need to see Tam's feet next to mine. I have all the above symptoms, except the calf muscle thing. You can't generalise, haven't you learned anything? Little Angel
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, Thats about it. Little Angel

Oh, and someone told me they have smaller feet as well, something to do with getting closer to the kitchen sink, but I can't remember who said it... wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

true ladies fit boots that is shell last not an alteration to the liner or a different spoiler...that would be 1 the Head Dream or whatever it is called for next season, only seen a picture (till next week) so not sure about all the claims, what i said was the FACTS were gerenal and as you say no two feet are the same so how can you say they are inaccurate, if everyones feet were the same we would all be bored and out of a job very quickly Little Angel

changing the subject a bit, but staying on the boot thing, (you have got a stock of boots so you can do this) take an x-wave lady or whatever the thing is called now remove the base board of size 22 or 23 and measure the height at the heel and toe and the physical length of the base board, then do the same for the equivelent mens model in asize 29 or so, let me know the measuements

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 14-02-06 18:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Oh, and someone told me they have smaller feet as well, something to do with getting closer to the kitchen sink, but I can't remember who said it... wink

Only a single man holed up in the middle-of-nowhere with a large arsenal would write that. I hope you've got loads of supplies in. Wait until the 'ladies' here read that.

Not Laughing Honest !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CEM, Careful giving women they have different foots need to men, the Net is a powerful media, you should be aware of that being an ex-bootfitter, it just serves to confuse at point of sale. There is as much chance of finding a mans foot excactly the same as a womens as you have of findind two womens the same.
Ligamentous laxity, read levels of elastine in preparation for birth.
Head Dream, read Edge.
Wear The Fox Hat, Size is the issue and calf muscle shape and height. Little Angel
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eEvans, I was quoting someone else, their opinion is not necessarily mine...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CEM wrote:
true ladies fit boots that is shell last not an alteration to the liner or a different spoiler...that would be 1 the Head Dream or whatever it is called for next season, only seen a picture (till next week)

This the beastie in question...
http://www.alternativemedia.fr/info_view.php?type=pdp&c=&i=632
snow report
CEM, Base board heights help to accomodate the moulding thickness of the plastic, the ramp angle is different to accomodate the wearer wearing evevated heels, something in this day and age becoming equally as popular for males. You still wear your heels on thursday nights? Little Angel
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
Quote:

You still wear your heels on thursday nights?

no only on a friday now Little Angel Little Angel

go with me on this one with the base boards, see where you are coming from with the molding stuff etc, ok forget the mens one measure the smallest and biggest ladies one you have
snow conditions
CEM, I'm at home, buying week. Paperwork sucks, however half-term hero's at work. I'll be staying here. I'll P.M. you the figures. 28mm to 32mm i think. Little Angel
ski holidays
Re boots - surely it's just that there are different shapes of boot, and "ladies'" just happens to be a label applied to one of them? You buy the boots that fit. I know men who wear "women's" boot because they simply fit their calf better... "Men's" and "women's" is just a fitting indication, not set in stone...

Re the ladies' skis, from what I saw the week before last, the problem is one of critical mass. Of course nobody's going to spend lots of money buying high-end ladies' skis if nobody stocks them for demo. And the demand won't necessarily be there if the offering isn't... I have to say that I do find weight to be a fairly big factor. My iM72s are significantly lighter than my old Crossmax 8s and I find I have noticeably more stamina to ski now I'm not killing myself just dragging the things to the first lift.
ski holidays
eng_ch, That's the nail on the head. THX Little Angel
latest report
The other thing that wound me up the other week was the dearth of higher end skis that women *could* use. Even if the shops don't stock women's-specific skis, one would hope they'd stock unisex in the appropriate lengths. So the shop didn't have the Fast Thang for example - OK, I'll try the Supershape then. "Sorry, we don't have it shorter than 170". Now that really is insulting!
ski holidays
eng_ch, I can relate to your post, as this was also my experience...over and over Mad . Together with suggestions of "good skis that are pretty and really light to use" as alternatives. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
rpft@rpft.co.uk,

I'm 5' 10" and have just bought K2's One Luv - they're brillant (on piste only), although I'm not an agressive skiier. I've heard good things about the Miss Demeanour model. Have also rented Dynastars Exclusive range before and they're very good as well. I went for the ladies skis as they're lighter to carry around than the men's and I like the flowers Very Happy
snow report
CEM, I will try that Atomic when the rush dies down.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, Problem with the last pair of boots I bought, was that a size 6-6 1/2 (40), I could ONLY get ladies fit - cr*p. I don't have either fat or low calves, don't wear high heels - ever, and want a high cuff .... I also expect some resistance. All the models that were brought out were really soft and squishy - rubbish! thank goodness I've paid my millions to get the last 2 pairs of flexons in my size in the world!!!

eng_ch, Agreee absolutely - I get really pi**ed off about that - so many times I can't get to try a ski because they just don't have it short enough. I can ski 170 but need some speed for most (so not on a working day). What I found at the Mondial was that for a full on slalom ski I was comfortable on 155 and not on 165 (hardly surprising), and that for a detuned model 165 was ideal - I put too much pressure on a shorter ski if it wasn't a full race model.

Light skis - ladies - Zag Le Rouge.Very light, stiff, carve, hold, stable and great off piste (78 under the foot, but a good sidecut). Ideal - and they're not pink Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
easiski, Bet i've more pairs of 24 Flexon than you, i do hope you don't have 25's. Little Angel
snow report
nuttyprofessor, bit more subtle! what length did you ski?
ski holidays
CEM, narrower ankles, lower more shaped calf muscle, more ligamentous laxity, shallower forefoot, poorer circulation

I have HUGE feet, size 8.5 - but the only time I have honestly been comfortable in ski boots is in womens boots - hired in cervinia in total agony one holiday recently. boots took 2 minutes to fit(!) and were the only things left, beginners dolomites - I bought them at the end of the week - I hadn't worn ladies boots before, the level of comfort was unbelievable, this can't be coincidence surely?
latest report
rpft@rpft.co.uk,
thats the whole thing the one factor that probably affecterd you most was the calf height, as having a bigger foot the cuff of the mens boot would be higher than that of a smaller size. so the wommens boot with a slightly reduced cuff height will make the differnce
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM wrote:
rpft@rpft.co.uk,
thats the whole thing the one factor that probably affecterd you most was the calf height, as having a bigger foot the cuff of the mens boot would be higher than that of a smaller size. so the wommens boot with a slightly reduced cuff height will make the differnce

From experience I have to agree. My old boots were men's, my current ones are women's. It's not so much that my calf starts to flare out lower than a man's but the fact I don't want the top of my boot heading up towards my knee - and I'm not short. They're ski boots, FFS, not welly boots!
ski holidays
makes sense - always found the cuff area sore. hoping to come & see you CEM, when ankle swelling has gone down.....
snow conditions
[quote="rpft@rpft.co.uk"][b]nuttyprofessor[/b], bit more subtle! what length did you ski?[/quote]

I bought 160cm - the next size up is 167cm which I found too long.
snow conditions
rpft@rpft.co.uk wrote:
CEM, narrower ankles, lower more shaped calf muscle, more ligamentous laxity, shallower forefoot, poorer circulation

I have HUGE feet, size 8.5 - but the only time I have honestly been comfortable in ski boots is in womens boots - hired in cervinia in total agony one holiday recently. boots took 2 minutes to fit(!) and were the only things left, beginners dolomites - I bought them at the end of the week - I hadn't worn ladies boots before, the level of comfort was unbelievable, this can't be coincidence surely?

I have a confession, I too ski in ladies boots, Tecnica

After trying loads in the shop the fitter said give these a go and they fitted really well, gave them a test on the piste. I really liked the way they fitted my narrow size 7s the only problem was they were a bit tight around the ankle, so he reshaped them.
I can walk miles in them (and have, that Banff main street is long) I love ‘em.
snow report
Nick_C, nice to have your confession nick - I ought to say at this point that I'm a woman, only just, but I am! I do know other men who ski in ladies boots though - just not the pink ones!!!
snow conditions
rpft@rpft.co.uk, There are no ladies boots, just ladies liners. Little Angel
latest report
I was only playing - I should change my user name....
latest report
But I like my pink flowers Very Happy

ohh errr hummm

[deep voice]
They are a Butch Blue

Laughing
snow conditions
careful - I wouldn't want to be a gay icon on this forum!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy