Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another Helmet Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone else noticed the alarming frequency with which you can spot ill-fitting helmets?

In Meribel today I saw at least half a dozen folk wearing a helmet like a bonnet - perched on the back of the head, with a giant gap between the front of the helmet and the eyes of the wearer. 2 of the wearers weren't wearing their goggles over their eyes but actually had a gap big enough to accommodate their goggles, above their eyes! Shocked
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Same thing happens in cycling too - I have given up telling people who commute to work with an ill fitting helmet that they might be better off without one than one perched loosely on the back of their head.

Lots of people have no idea what a properly fitted helmet should feel like.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bergmeister, Provided the 2 goggles above the eyes wearers, didn't have the strap done up and weren't actually skiing/boarding, it was probably a 'style' affectation, and would hopefully have been done up before moving off. The whole beanie and goggles under the helmet is another issue.

As has been mentioned before, the strap is to hold your helmet on your head after initial impact, not to hold it in place before impact. If without the strap tightened, you can't shake your head vigorously, or bend over and touch your toes without your helmet falling off, it does't fit, or hasn't been fitted/adjusted properly. Also, by tightened, I mean it should be tight enough for you should notice it when talking.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bergmeister, I have to regularly hold myself back from berating parents whose kids are using their foreheads to prevent potential damage to the front of their helmets. Why do they do it? Is it to ensure the helmet can be passed on undamaged to the next child? Grrrrrrrr.
/opinionated parent off
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's probably because their helmets make their heads too hot.

Often see people with steam rising from their heads when they take their helmets off.

Looks very uncomfortable.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowheads68, They either need a better ventilated helmet, or to use the ventilation that is already built in. As per the original post, many have no idea how to wear/use a helmet.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I bought a pump up helmet by salomon. Put it on and pump the little thing at the back (like the old reebok pump trainers) until it gets the perfect fit. Fits pretty well without that anyway but offers extra protection. Could be a useless gimic but feels very safe.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last week I saw a skier fall just below the chair I was in. His helmet came off, couldn't see if the chin strap had been done up or not.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@garethjomo, I have one of those as well....very comfy and a good fit...not wobbling around on my head like my old one. if people are going to spend £50+ on a helmet why not get one that fits and is comfy ?????
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ditto what @nelly068 said. I'm a cycling coach too and I think that the rules would be the same. Correctly-sized helmet on head and rear tightening mech used correctly. If you can get more than 2 fingers under the fastened chin-strap then the helmet is too loose. Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bergmeister, aka the 'punter gap'
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've recently bought a new helmet, in fact several to try and then send back (yes I'm one of those people!). Now focusing on fit and comfort is a priority but if I'm wearing a helmet then I'm also considering the protection is should offer. I have one thing in my mind that niggles me. I tried a Smith Aspect helmet (400g) and a Sweet protection trooper (680g). Now the SP seems to have all the safety features but in a sport where you're shifting that weight must create additional momentum in the event of a fall? Maybe I am not understanding the forces at play but adding weight to your noggin cant help matters?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowheads68 wrote:
It's probably because their helmets make their heads too hot.

Often see people with steam rising from their heads when they take their helmets off.

Looks very uncomfortable.

This is a particular feature of being a baldie like moi. The kids I go skiing with all wait excitedly at lunch for me to remove my helmet so they can laugh-away at the steam rising from my head! snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bergmeister, Planet of the Gapes!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
blacksheep wrote:
I've recently bought a new helmet, in fact several to try and then send back (yes I'm one of those people!). Now focusing on fit and comfort is a priority but if I'm wearing a helmet then I'm also considering the protection is should offer. I have one thing in my mind that niggles me. I tried a Smith Aspect helmet (400g) and a Sweet protection trooper (680g). Now the SP seems to have all the safety features but in a sport where you're shifting that weight must create additional momentum in the event of a fall? Maybe I am not understanding the forces at play but adding weight to your noggin cant help matters?

Have wondered that myself when I see little kids hooning around with a great big wobbly head.

Add a GoPro plus mount at about 250g to your 680g and its getting on for a kilo of weight. Average adult head weighs 4.5 - 5 kilos so in theory you might be increasing it by 20%. I would think most don't notice it with a snug fitting helmet but can imagine the old neck muscles might start to flag at some point. Laws of physics are always there so I guess the extra weight must increase the chances of a whiplash type injury under certain circumstances. Haven't weighed my beanie but its not much.
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
blacksheep wrote:

Have wondered that myself when I see little kids hooning around with a great big wobbly head.

Add a GoPro plus mount at about 250g to your 680g and its getting on for a kilo of weight. Average adult head weighs 4.5 - 5 kilos so in theory you might be increasing it by 20%. I would think most don't notice it with a snug fitting helmet but can imagine the old neck muscles might start to flag at some point. Laws of physics are always there so I guess the extra weight must increase the chances of a whiplash type injury under certain circumstances. Haven't weighed my beanie but its not much.

Good point, I've got a TomTom bandit which is say 200g. It's going to sit on top of the helmet so considering my neck is the pivot, that is weight which applies a greater rotational force to the muscles and bones in my head as well as accelerating my head in the event of a fall. Jan was the first time I've worn a helmet and I got used to it (wore it all week). I appreciate that it will certainly help in some situations but for a piste skier on groomed slopes does a helmet offer much real protection? Let's not forget the companies making these things are making money off flogging them so pushing it is in their interests.
ski holidays
@mgrolf, +1... Albeit, I think this is because they have ill-fitting hire helmets. We have bought our kids theirs... At £13 on sale from Sports Direct / Nevica, there's no reason not to get one and avoid scummy hire helmets.

I have simply explained to my kids that it looks "totally lame" if they have a goggle gap, and that seems to have ensured they have their lids on properly!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy