Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Third party rental car excess waiver

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone had an experience using a third party excess waiver service on a hire car? I'm going to Eastern Europe next week and I after writing off a rental there last year without the excess waiver, I want to get it this time but it's a lot cheaper to use a third party instead of the rental company. I just haven't had any experience and don't know who is good

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@moseyp,
I use Insurance 4 car hire who seemed to have a good reputation when I bought but I have not had claim to make so cannot verify this.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Insurance 4 car hire. 2 claims, one for over €1000, paid out on a couple of days. One i then got back from the car hire company so i paid them back
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Got it, not used it. Which is good I suppose.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx wrote:
Insurance 4 car hire. 2 claims, one for over €1000, paid out on a couple of days. One i then got back from the car hire company so i paid them back
That's the same experience that I've had with them. Happy to recommend. They seem to offer a decent cash back bonus on some of the cashback sites so that makes them a little cheaper.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
That's the same experience that I've had with them. Happy to recommend.

Me too. Used them for all hire car adventures, at home or abroad. Have claimed twice (silly hire shops claim in for scratches or somethings) straightforward & good experience all round.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just paid 18.50 for excess cover on hire car, get them via money saver supermarket with a discount code
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@yorkshirelad, is that an annual policy?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:

Ditto the above, that would make a lot of difference to me!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JamLala wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Ditto the above, that would make a lot of difference to me!

That would be for a weekly policy.

I have an annual policy with Questor (Martin Lewis recommendation and Feefo 98% rating). Glad to have never used it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's great, thanks all. Half the price of the excess waiver with the rental company. Now I just need to find a satnav that works in Eastern Europe and stay awake on the road!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Has anyone used Navmii on their iPhone? My satnav only works in western europe and I need something for Serbia, Bosnia & Montenegro but the car hire place is charging £70 for 11 days rental on a satnav
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We're currently using Google maps on an android phone, with the maps saved for offline use. It depends how much are you need to cover whether that would work for you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sugarmoma666, quite a large area - can you save a full country for offline use on the Google Maps app?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm another that use Insurance 4 car hire, paid £60 annual policy for the year. That does cover uk, europe, worldwide including the us and canada. With 4 weeks skiing, 2 trips to the us and a few uk hires it works out good value. Its also good to know others have had successful claims
latest report
Another question! I need to get a "green card" for Serbia - does this have to be done through the car hire place or do I have other options?
snow conditions
@moseyp,
I've got Navmii but only really use Google maps. I've got all of UK, Germany, France, Austria and Switzerland saved on the phone.
ski holidays
@musher, thanks I'll give it a go. Downloaded maps for Navmii but would like to have something as a back up.
latest report
Have used Insurance 4 Car hire. Had a dispute with Hertz over claimed damage in Hungary. Insurance 4 Hire covered the claim and took the dispute up with Hertz directly. Have used them ever since.
ski holidays
Always used insurance4carhire - - - - never made a claim but always given good peace of mind . . . . had the odd bump on a car that only spotted after I picked it up and not needed to worry about it . . . . always turned out it was there when I picked the car up !
snow report
thanks all, went with Insurance 4 Car Hire Europe 60. Hopefully I won't have to use it now.

Anyone know anything about the "green card"?
ski holidays
Mine was a weekly one.. (as im not fly/driving again this year.) used to get an annul one from an irish company for £42 per year....But using the discount codes supplied by money savers you can find a decent saving... be carefull though as some care hire firms have got around the excess by calling it (the excess) something else so it invalidates your policy,, making you take out theirs... happened to us in Sicily two years ago... told them to go away...
ski holidays
I can only say good things about Insurance 4 Car Hire. I have used them for many years and last year I managed to have two incidents on two separate occasions that were covered by them without hesitattion. One was a damaged bumper and the seconed was tyre damage both around EUR 400. I have just been offered renewal for next 12 months for around £60.
latest report
I use icarhireinsurance.com and have an annual policy that covers car hire in Europe, and the car pool I belong to. Never had to claim fortunately. Its underwritten by Chubb or Allianz.
snow conditions
Used Quester insurance for this for a few years now. About 40 quid a year. Have had one claim and they paid out in full. Over 600 quid from memory.
ski holidays
Hi
Sorry for the tread bump.
Does the insurance for car hire generally cover you for public liability in the event that you run over some poor pedestrian? Or does the rental car company provide that insurance within the rental rate?
Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
be aware that if you refuse the rentals insurance because you have arranged your own, they may ask for a larger deposit than normal for damage.
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
be aware that if you refuse the rentals insurance because you have arranged your own, they may ask for a larger deposit than normal for damage.

That's fine as long as it is just a hold on a credit card?
I guess what I'm most concerned about is the public liability in the event of an accident. Here in Australia that comes with the car when it is (what we call) registered to drive on the road. Hence rental cars in Oz are covered for public liability. Is it the same in Europe? Namely Italy?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr.Egg wrote:
never had that
ski holidays
Me neither

@sbooker, I suspect that’s a question for either the car hire company or the insurance company. I went with Insurance 4 Car Hire last year, fortunately did not have any need for claim. If you have a broker maybe you could ask them?
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
never had that
I've had that in the US, not sure about Europe as I never pay much notice of how much deposit they take via a credit card.
latest report
@rob@rar, same here. no idea how much they take
ski holidays
I’ve noticed €2k held on my credit card in europe
ski holidays
 fizzer
fizzer
Used icarhireinsurance after recommendation on here in Munich last year. Two minute scratches on car on return. £900 taken from credit card. Absolute nightmare to get back. Icarhireinsurance just passed us onto Allianz. Again absolutely shocking to deal with.

Never ever will we use 3rd party again. Just take the car hire insurance yes it's dearer but worth it.
snow report
I don't think it's that they take a larger deposit than normal if you don't take their insurance, more that one of the benefits of taking out their insurance is that they reduce the normal deposit to just the excess of their insurance.

I always use insurance 4 car hire. If you use Quidco (or probably similar schemes) you get 25% cashback on your insurance 4 car hire policy. (and 6% cashback on your car booking with holiday autos)
snow report
I have a Questor policy. It costs around £60 a year and covers me and my girlfriend.

Europcar take approx €350 each time I pick a renter up.

The feedback with all of these companies is a binary 5 star or 1 star review. Provided you jump through their hoops, you should be OK if you have to claim.
snow conditions
I used Questor, very happy with
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
never had that
I've had that in the US, not sure about Europe as I never pay much notice of how much deposit they take via a credit card.

I had it the other way around.
Nothing in US, while I did in Spain!
snow conditions
Used carhireexcess and successfully sorted out a claim. Note you do need to keep all the documents and receipts.
ski holidays
I've used Bettasafe through Quidco (for cashback) on a number of annual policies. Used them last summer for a standalone 8 day insurance (£16) and had to claim after damage to the car whilst it was parked up, the claim process was simple, painless, quick & complete.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy