Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian resorts for DIYers?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So following from my flights enquiry, if I can get flights to, say Salzburg, Innsbruck, Munich (anywhere else work?), where can I reasonably easily then get transfers to and cheap b&b or sc accommodation in?
Glacial access would be great, esp start or end season ( how late then is end season, e.g Hintertux?), probably go for transfer + ski busses rather than hire a car. Don't need great apres or anything fancy, not necessary to have a massive ski area, just snow and pistes, basic (learning) off piste if poss, somewhere that'll do basic food (meat, pizzas) and a small supermarket.
I know Mayrhofen, Kaprun/Zell and Alpbach areas (only).
Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All of Austria! There are 25 areas within a 90 minute radius of Salzburg - see www.salzburgsuperskicard.com for the overview and just pick a resort according to snow cover. The Salzburg airport website ( www.salzburg-airport.com ) has an overview of transfer companies - basically there are shared transfers to all of the resorts and some are also on public bus (Postbus) routes or accessible by train from Salzburg. For public transport prices and timetables, see www.oebb.at.

Repeat for Innsbruck and Tirol for the western Austrian resorts.

Almost all the major resorts can be reached by train + taxi from Munich in about 3-4 hours. Other airport possibilities are Zurich and Fredrichshafen for Arlberg, or Linz (Ryanair) for eastern Salzburgerland, although you may need a car (or train to Salzburg) from Linz.

For accommodation use the local tourist office websites (e.g for Saalbach it's www.Saalbach.com) or HomeAway, Booking.com etc - and always ring the accommodation direct to see if you can get a better deal. Don't forget that there are Snowheads who own and rent apartments.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 9-03-17 10:41; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Zillertal is very easy to get to by train and offers loads of variety on one lift pass. Most of the other villages and towns are cheaper than Mayrhofen, I'd suggest you look at Zell am Ziller, Kaltenbach or Stumm.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My house wink wink wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great. Makes it sound very possible Very Happy
A lot more neck-wrecking on the comuter, then!
Thanks.

( @flangesax, I may well be in touch in due course... )
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Grizzler, Some guests of ours had a great idea. They asked to rent an apartment for the last week of November - before the official start of the season, so that they could do some "walking, relaxing and chilling out". As it was a non-ski season booking it cost them "peanuts". They ended up skiing virtually every day, partly by driving to the nearby glacier resort of Kaprun (about half an hour's drive away), and partly as a result of a big early dump enabling the Saalbach lift company to open the resort for the last two weekends of November. By all accounts the quality of the skiing was superb.
Of course the advantage of staying in a typical Austrian ski village, as opposed to a high purpose-built ski station, is that even out of season, people live and work there, so the supermarkets and some restaurants and pubs will be open. Presumably flights are cheap and car hire is also relatively cheap.
The same principle would apply at the end of the season - staying in a resort whose own ski season has ended, but which is reasonably close to a glacier resort, is not a bad idea.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Given your criteria, there are around 400 options wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy