Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche safety equipment

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Getting into more off piste and thinking that it's definitely the time to make the investment rather than borrowing kit off others.

So looking for advice on transceivers, shovels and probes. Stuff that won't break the bank but also last and is worth while getting. Don't really know much about any of it in terms of what things to avoid and what to look for so any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.ekosport.co.uk/ortovox-avalanche-rescue-set-zoom-17-p-1-30850.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The basics are:

3 Antenna Transciever
2.4m minimum length probe
Metal shovel

Plenty of good information on this site http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/default.asp
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowshepherd: http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/

Gave good advice when we needed kit, and put together a good package for us, with a Snowheads discount. Worth talking to them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I hate to be the one who says the sensible thing.

The most important avalanche safety thing you can buy is the training.

Transceivers (especially the new ones) are not necessarily common sense to use, and you need to be rehearsed because when your adrenaline hits (like it will after an avalanche) your ability to process rational thought is less than perfect. You need to learn how to search for a casualty under the snow, transceivers give you a good starting point but they won't give you an inch perfect position.

As said above, at a minimum you need a transceiver, metal shovel and probe (@PowderAdict says 2.4m, I say 3m). I personally think another essential often missed out is a second pair of gloves. Searching in snow, your gloves - even if waterproof (it goes in through the top) - get absolutely drenched from the snow. Some people also choose to buy an airbag, that's a self preservation thing rather than a rescue thing but they have proven effective to many people.

But with the best will in the world, the kit is useless if you don't know how to use it. There are good techniques for searching but you should practice them in a controlled environment, so that if, god forbid, disaster ever does hit you; you're well prepared to crack on straight into the search. You don't want to spend the first 5 of your best mate's crucial minutes fumbling around with your transceiver trying to remember how it works, or probing one area twice then another area not at all because you learned your searching technique from a youtube video and never practiced it.

Most of the off-piste courses available to take in resort will include equipment... so you might like to do the course and see what equipment the instructors' recommend. On the other hand, it might be better to buy your kit up front, so that you can use the course as an opportunity to get to grips with your own equipment. That choice is up to you.

For reference sake, I did a 2 day avalanche course in resort a few years ago and I think it was circa 250 euros. I recently bought a new transceiver (ortovox 3+) which was about £200, a decent metal shovel and decent probe will probably cost you £60-80 for the pair. So £500 should be a reasonable budget to get started out. If you want an airbag you'll need to double that figure.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all the advice so far, I completely agree about the training!

For Snowshepherd, is there a specific Snowheads discount code or should I give them an email?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
someblokecalledjack wrote:
Thanks for all the advice so far, I completely agree about the training!

For Snowshepherd, is there a specific Snowheads discount code or should I give them an email?
You will need to be a paid member of this forum to qualify.

I got my avi bag from Snowshepherd, but got my transciever pack from Amazon. The Pieps and Ortovox get the top reviews

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FYTN7XY/ref=pe_385721_144310211_TE_3p_dp_1?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like they do the discount for season workers too, so I'm in Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PaulC1984 is selling some avi gear on the Snowheads buy/sell area.

PaulC1984 wrote:
PRICES UPTO 45% OFF RRP

BCA 10X Magnifying Loupe £10.00

G3 300 Carbon SpeedTECH Avalanche Probe £45.OO

BCA B-52 Extended Avalanche Shovel £30.00
Black Diamond Evac 9 Avalanche Shovel £45.00
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I initially had a first generation Tracker, but recently when upgrading I ended up with the Barryvox/Mammut Element, good performance, can be bought fairly cheaply and seems to regularly come out at the top of comparison tables. It is very easy to use for searches, can handle multiple burials, has a 50m range and is also comfy to wear.

Get a decent length probe with a quick assembly mechanism, and a strong shovel, I like the medium size BCA B2 EXT for it's quality alloy, no ferule sticking out of the shovel and a comfy handle. Not quite the lightest but can handle serious use and shift a lot of snow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went out with a guide in Italy a few years back and when I asked him about which transceiver is best, he said 'your own'. I think his point was it doesn't matter what transceiver you have, just so long as you can use it in a panic as the others have said.

I'm a relative newbie to off piste and I recently bought 'Avalanche Essentials' by Bruce Tremper on the recommendation of someone on here. It's an easy read and it's made me realise some of the overtly stupid stuff I've been doing at times. Would definitely recommend it as an intro.

I also just bought an Ortovox Zoom + Kit which is on offer at Ekosport at the minute http://www.ekosport.co.uk/ortovox-avalanche-rescue-set-zoom-17-p-1-30850.html - use the code SNOW and get another 10% off, worked out about £165

This video has spurred me on a bit to get some proper training: Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/bOnBRguDZ1I
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yup, do the research on kit and then train and practice with it. Even hiding beeps around an apartment and searching for it (great for drinking games with a gang) helps your search skills.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy