Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transfer Geneva to Val Disere

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I will be in Val D from 30 March to 3 April and will fly into Geneva airport.

We are two people and I'd like to arrange a shared transfer. I have looked at both renting a car and taking Altibus but neither are very appealing. Is there a better approach? Our flights arrive at and depart from Geneva at 4pm.

Many thanks in advance!

D
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I found it impossible to get a private transfer cheaper than a rented car when i did this exact route for a short four day break last year. The cheap transfer companies only do saturday and sunday transfers. Other than that it's book a private transfer which is about 200 each way which is fine if split between a load of people but not just two. Altibus an option but you are restricted to their times.
I explored all the options people offered to me on here but all were far more expensive than four day car hire.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ask the question here...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/850771538271311/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And Altibus is not particularly cheap, either.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all, much appreciated

Car hire may be best option for us, is it a difficult drive? Is it mandatory to carry a set of snow chains?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What exactly don't you find appealing? The only other option I know of is trans-savoie. See: http://www.transdevsavoie.com/en
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dof, drive is easy. About two half hours or so. Just add snow chains to your hire. I find sixt really good at Geneva. They will also e mail to ask if you going to France and sort out the right car for you. Always have offers on to.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not sure why you don't find Altibus "appealing". I've done it many times and found it frequent and reliable. Also Ben's Bus but that is weekend's only. Personally, if you had an option, I'd have booked an earlier flight in and a later flight out, with a 1600 flight arrival you are stuck with a late arrival in Val whatever you do.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure what a "difficult" drive would be?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all

@Skifans - the Altibus transfer, based on their website, is over 4 hours and departs at 7.30pm but I will take a look at http://www.transdevsavoie.com/en
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Not sure what a "difficult" drive would be?

London to Ulaan Baator is a difficult drive.

The other sensible option is to get the train to Bourg st Maurice and the bus from there
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
4 hours is something of a worst case for slow traffic, which anyone who has done it on a Saturday knows all about. It should be quicker on a weekday evening. You won't drive it much quicker than the bus, the roads don't allow it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
And Altibus is not particularly cheap, either.

Not cheap compared to what alternative?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The best I have done it is 2h10, in a hire car, the worst (in heavy snow and traffic jams) 3h15. Most trips are just under 2.5 hours if the roads are clear.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Private transfers can be costly but

Cool bus,
Mountain rescue,
Alpine Sherpa,

all offer 'shared' transfers but mid-week the availability of a 'shared' transfer might be limited.

If you hire a car, I'd recommend collecting hire car from the Swiss side of Geneva airport rather than the French side. Swiss side the hire cars come with winter tyres, Swiss vignette motorway tax sticker and snow chains in the boot as standard. A little more expensive than renting from the French side but worth the extra few pounds.

Swiss hire car side is easier when you depart the airport and also when you return the car as the French sector of Geneva airport is a pain to get to/from if your not familiar with the roads.

If you hire a car, make sure you watch you tube video's on how to fit chains and even have a quick practice in the hire car, parking garage if the forecast says it's gonna snow on the way up to Val before you set off. So many 'punters' struggle with chains in the dark, half way up a mountain road in a blizzard.

Parking in Val is not cheap but outdoor and underground parking is available so factor in that too if you hire a car. On street parking is limited to nearly non existent in Val and cars are towed very regularly if they are parked illegally or not moved if snow clearing is in progress or due to be done.

If you can get a fair price on a 'shared' transfer from the companies I've listed then I'd take it.
latest report
Quote:

Swiss side the hire cars come with winter tyres

When I checked the winter tyres were only fitted in winter and stopped on the first of April. I am hiring a car for the easter holidays from the Swiss side and suspect it will not come with winter tyres but I may need snow chains.

Sometimes the Swiss side is cheeper than the French (which is why I am renting from the Swiss side this time) and sometimes much more expensive. It pays to check. If anything the French side is a bit more convenient with a shorter walk to the hire cars etc and if you only have hand luggage the French security check is very, very quick. It is a far quicker and easier job to drop the car off and get airside from the French side than the Swiss.
ski holidays
Every time I've hire from Sixt (I believe from French side) they have come with winter tyres. You can request this and snow chains. Parking will cost about 40 or 50 quid in one of the underground car parks.
ski holidays
3 of us are looking at a cheeky lads ski break Saturday 18/03 - Thursday 23/03 we are looking @ s/catered apartment & need transfer from Geneva [subject to booking our flights] arrival around 1600hrs travel to Tignes

Depart Thursday 23/03 late afternoon, flight around 2100hrs, the transfers we have found so far are more than the holiday, any ideas?

Haven’t booked apartment yet so if you’ve got one or know of one available let me know, cheers

Michael
ski holidays
@michaelbury17, e-mail mountainsun They have a Chalet/hotel in Tignes le Boisses (the Melezes) and if they have availability can prob do catered accom, ski passes, transfers, board hire thrown in all in for a great price (Prob the same or less than you costing it all separateley and going self catered).

It's not the Ritz but I've stayed as a guest and actually worked there for a couple of months over the Autumn. Great place and fab staff.
http://mountainsunltd.com/skichalets/chalet-hotel-les-melezes/
latest report
michaelbury17 wrote:
Depart Thursday 23/03 late afternoon, flight around 2100hrs, the transfers we have found so far are more than the holiday, any ideas?l

Altibus iirc around €110 a head return.
snow conditions
@michaelbury17, fly out Friday evening and save money on flights. hire car. Cheap budget hotel on the Friday and be on the slopes 9am Saturday (change over day and really quiet)
snow conditions
@@247snowman, great idea, will get in touch with them, that would solve all issues Toofy Grin Very Happy
snow report
@dogwatch, thanks for the tip, for this money it's close to whether or not just to hire & drive, at least then we would be in control of timing, well to a point subject to snowfall etc Little Angel
snow conditions
@garethjomo, not an option unfortunately as we all have business/family commitments on Friday, best intentions though... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
A question on timings for regulars! I'm looking at getting an Altibus back to Geneva in April. There's only one at 6am from Val d'sere. It says it gets to Geneva at 10:40 although my flight is 10:50. How much wiggle room is built in?
latest report
@Valhender, None, it will get there between 1030-1040. The wiggle room is used up at Moutiers.
latest report
There is some wiggle room, there has to be because the time around Annecy is quite traffic-dependent. But I wouldn't plan to catch a 10:50 flight.
snow conditions
Snowdrone and Europe Transfer do shared seats throughout the weekday/weekends at 75.00EUR per seat.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think Dof got sorted with Snowdrone on the Facebook page I posted above.
ski holidays
Well all booked & we arrive in Tignes late Saturday evening.

Big thanks to @@247snowman, for suggesting Mountainsun, deal done & great price/package - took all our pain away Toofy Grin Very Happy Blush
ski holidays
@michaelbury17, nice one. The Melezes is a pretty relaxed place. Great staff, a bar that stays open until midnight and it's hard to do Tignes in a better value way. Enjoy.
ski holidays
@@247snowman, Toofy Grin will try our very best, thanks again snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy