Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spending money// Avoriaz help

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, heading off on my first ski trip without my parents on the 25th. How much spending money am I going to need to take? Plan on going out for around one meal a day whether that be on the slopes or an evening one, and then a few evening activities eg ice skating. Also does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants near Avoriaz or in Port Du Soleil area, preferably not too expensive?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to SHs, @gabbooc. Where are you staying? If in a self-catering place you will need to buy more than one meal a day unless you have a very little appetite! Will you be cooking for yourself? Food in resort shops can be quite expensive. The big money item is drinking in bars. Beer and wine can be quite cheap in resort shops.

Lunch menus are generally cheaper than evening ones - and the "plat du jour" is often the best value.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, yes I'm in self catered accommodation, I was planning on eating breakfast at home, then alternating between either making sandwiches for lunch if eating out, or cooking in the evening if we ate on the slopes. Staying in Saskia Falaise, first time in self catered accommodation so everything is completely new to me, only ever been in catered chalets so any tips I'm grateful for.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If your budget is tight, think about a few bits you could put in your baggage. Tea bags, for example (expensive and rubbish in many French shops). Rather than buy a whole pack of herbs, stock cubes etc, just take a few - think through your meals in advance. You'll be able to buy (good quality) minced beef, for example, and things like onions aren't expensive. Depends a bit on your cooking skills and enthusiasm, really, but if there is a group of you, do an evening each. Don't assume your apartment will have an oven - you should be able to find out. With an oven, a big supermarket pizza and a bag of salad will do a lunch or supper. Omelettes? Pasta with tomato sauce of some kind (readily available) and a bit of parmesan grated over, also with a bag of salad (or a lettuce you wash yourself - more work but far cheaper and lasts much longer, French lettuces are good and not expensive. If flying through geneva you can take duty free spirits - those, plus supermarket mixers, will get your evening off to a swing. And beers are cheap enough in supermakets, if silly prices in bars. If it's very cold, don't leave beers out on the terrace - they'll freeze and pop their lids off!

If you want something a bit better in the evenings than a pizza, but your cooking skills are limited, most resorts will have a "traiteur" selling read to eat dishes in portion sizes - more expensive than cooking yourself but cheaper than a restaurant, especially as you can drink supermarket wine and soft drinks, rather than pay restaurant prices.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pork, (chops) seem very good value in France. ( I have several recipes for different ways!) Nice with Pomme Dauphinois - amazingly available in tins.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you've got a full PDS pass just ski over towards Chappelle D'Abondance every couple of days and have the steak frites from the restaurant at the top of Braitaz chair. It's delicious, only about 16 euros and so big you'll not be able to think about eating for a day or two afterwards snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Biggest tip for PDS is never, ever, eat lunch on the Swiss side of the mountain. Waaaaay more expensive than the French side.

If you like a drink at lunch time, just stock up in the supermarket and carry a can or two of what you fancy with you (coke, beer... just drink it on the chairlift rather than be cheeky in a restaurant as they'll likely kick you out). Saves you a good few euros a day. Water is free in most places, but there are a few where they don't have drinking water available so do beware if you're eating on the mountain.

As mentioned, French supermarkets have a surprising range of decent food in cans. Duck confit is one, cassoulet is another. Generally cheaper than a traiteur, just need a bit more 'cooking'. Depends how adventurous you're feeling really Smile And if all else fails, you really really can't go wrong with french bread and cheese. I could happily survive a ski trip on that.

Most of all, have a great time!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pasta is your friend. Spaghetti, pack of philidelphia, tinned sliced garlic mushrooms and a pack of lardons et voila! This is my cant be arsed to cook dinner and everyone loves it - its super cheap too and you could do it with penne and double up as a packed lunch the next day.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If the weather's good, a picnic in the snow with a can of something tastier than water is a great way to spend 1/2 hour at lunchtime. If the weather's bad, there's an indoor picnic room with free tap water in Plaine Dranse (top of Pre le Joux chairlift in Chatel). If you don't want to carry a rucksack, a filled roll fits in one jacket pocket, and a can of beer in the other. Happy days!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy