Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Liverpool Airport

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all,

Does anyone have experience of taking ski boots as carry on luggage in a backpack at Liverpool? We're traveling to Barcelona on Wednesday and would rather not check them in.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't help with the boots, but I have very bad memories of security at Liverpool. Admittedly several years ago, but I got the impression then that they could be very nit-picky to the point of stupidity. Confiscated my emergency survival kit of plastic whistle and knotted paracord pace cord, although did eventually let me keep my forgot-to-pack-it allen key for my boots. Didn't make any sense then or now, never had this problem at Manchester before or after. Won't fly Liverpool again for this reason.

Can you e-mail/phone the airport's management for Security and ask? I have done this at Manchester before now when wanting to check on something. Can't remember where/how I got the number but, if all else fails, go through the CAA as they have ultimate responsibility for these things (a specific department within CAA) and then maybe could redirect you or give you a contact e mail or phone no?

Enjoy your trip. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@stusno, I often fly through Liverpool, although not lately with ski boots. I have, however, packed my boots in a carry-on suitcase and have never had an issue. As has been discussed before though, there is often great inconsistency and what might be OK one day, won't be the next, or with a different operative. As @Grizzler, suggests, contact the relevant Security office and ask for guidance - if you can get this via email and it supports your case, take the email with you.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is no universal security standard, and I doubt the CAA will offer guidance. Each airport is given the task of operating its own security, and they apply different standards. It's a PITA.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@stusno, check with your airline also, I think they may have say in what's OK
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The CAA offer this guidance:

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Before-you-fly/Baggage/Items-that-are-allowed-in-baggage/

The Government offer this guidance:

https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/sports-equipment

Unfortunately, neither mention ski boots nor do the FAQs on BA, Jet2 or Easyjet.

So not very helpful I'm afraid. Each airline has a get out clause of 'anything deemed unsuitable'. A ski boot could be seen as a blunt object that could clobber someone, but then so could a glass bottle of your favourite wallop from Duty Free. Its a minefield. Interestingly Easy say ABS are fine but you are obliged to contact BA, even though the technical specs are the same.....

Of course, it is the airports security contactors that have the say, once you have passed them the airline actually has no clue on what is in your bag. As your stuff goes through the scanner they do not differentiate between airlines.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We must have travelled from Liverpool using easyjet with ski boots in hand luggage about 15 times. Last time was last December.

Never had a problem with the boots there, or at any of about 8 or 9 UK airports - though we were once forced to take out a magnetic ski rack from hand luggage at security (and check it in the hold) - on the basis that it could apparently send all the plane's systems haywire....(??) and presumably cause it to crash.

We'd taken the magnetic rack as hand luggage on about four previous incident-free flights.... rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To update on this in case its useful for anyone else, we travelled Liverpool to Barcelona with boots in a rucksack and had no problems at all. Easyjet rep at check in didn't so much as look at hand luggage and sailed through security with no issues.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fly through Liverpool to Geneva each time we go skiing, each time with ski boots in the hand luggage. Never had any issues and never been quizzed by the easyJet staff at check in what was in the hand luggage. Flying on the 2nd April and planning on doing the same again
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I fly through Liverpool too and never had a problem with ski boot carriage. Mind you my boots go in my hold baggage wink . In 14yrs of travelling with my own boots they've always gone in the hold. Never damaged, never lost. Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
In 14yrs of travelling with my own boots they've always gone in the hold. Never damaged, never lost.
That's lucky - we've had checked baggage go missing twice on Transatlantic flights and once on a flight to Geneva. Once it was clothing, the other twice it was skis.

We always take ski boots in hand luggage. As a result, they've never been damaged and never been lost... wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@halfhand,

Very very lucky!

We've had check-in luggage delayed over 15 times now, so we always take ski boots and ski clothing in our hand luggage. We've lost too much ski time on trips by having to rent skis and buy new clothes - or both.... Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy