Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl Unlimited v supersport v rossi Z9

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is my first posting and it looks like there are some pretty helpfull skiers out there, hopefully you guys can help me.

I am looking at buying a new pair of skis but I am very confused 'Puzzled'

I am a 21 and 6'2" and weigh about 95kg (210lbs). I am an advanced aggresive skier. I really enjoy skiing a variety of terrain and spend 65/35 on piste/off piste. I live in Australia and do most of my skiing in Australia / New Zealand so conditions are often pretty average.

I also intend on competing in a 1 off club championship which my ski club puts on each year. It has a SL course and a tight GS course that i was going to enter. (i do still like big turns on the groomers)

I was looking for one pair of skis to satisfy my needs ( as closely as possible anyway). I dont want a pair of skis that will charge all the time because I dont mind having to push a ski when I want it to go hard and occasionally I like a rest.

Last season I demoed a pair of Z5s Little Angel and had an absolutley great time on them. I wanted something with a bit more twang that could give me more of what I want on a race course but without loosing the ability to handle terrain nicley.

Without demoing anything I have cut it down to
Z9's, Volkl Supersport 5* and Unlimited AC3 or AC4

I know its personal preferance and all that but I was wondering if anyone had demoed these or simmilar skis that might suite. (I was thinking a radius of about 14 or 15m. The Z5s I skied were 15.9m & 176cm long, I found i could push them into a pretty natural shorter turning rythem)

Does anyone have some feedback? or have I just been too longwinded
Little Angel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Volkl 5* every time. Much more versatile, more fun and easy to use. Also its one of the best skis in bumps i think i've ever used. I hated the Rossignols especially the Z9. I know thats just my preference, but i just could get anything from them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
After much agonising I recently chose Volkl Supersport 5*, 175cm as the replacement for my aged Rossignol 4SV (203cm!) and I am very pleased with my choice. Superb hold on hard snow, very quick edge changes and responded well to my favourite skiing style which is to short swing down the fall line while occasionally opening up to a longer radius turn. Conditions in France at the moment prevented me from trying them out in real powder but in bits of man-made soft snow I could still short swing easily - though they demanded a decidedly more two-footed technique. In a Schuss on flat snow there was no chatter from the tips but a little bit more yaw than I like compared to my 4SVs. What I particularly liked is that I could mix and match new style carving techniques with longer old style, knees-together ones. I am 180cm tall, weigh 85kg and have a couple of decades of skiing experience.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Amor83,

I've got the Z9 and I love it. Holds an edge on ice as well as a GS ski, very stable at speed, and yet versatile enough to use in the bumps / powder with no problem.

I demoed the 5* (admittedly a couple of seasons back so it could have changed) and found it a bit softer / more forgiving than the Z9, but hence not as comfortable at speed.

I am 55kgs, 173 cms, and I guess fairly aggressive for a female.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm 184cm, 75 kg. 3 weeks experience in the Jungfrau area. Comfortable on the reds. Tried some of the blacks, okay on the ones I tried (Blackrock and Rotstocki/Wengen, Muttleren, FIS and Kanonenrohr/Murren)

I tested out Atomic SL-11 (165), Volkl Supersport Allstar(161) and briefly Rossignol 9S Ti Oversize (165).

- The Atomics were great. Very good edge hold, pretty steady at speed. Its good when ski-ed at ease, but really comes together when given some energy. Narrow underfoot, so shouldn't be the best choise off-piste.
- Volks at first didn't seem a lot different from the atomics, but after a while the differences showed. It requires less work to come to life, but skis pretty close to the atomic. Edge hold at least as good as the atomic. A bit less steady at speed, but i ski-ed it very short for my length (184cm). Its a bunch of mm wider underfoot then the atomic, but keeps the same radius...
- I hated the Rossignols on first sight... Mr Hyde when ski-ed at easy, Dr Jeckyl when given a lot of work, it basically requires you to work it else it sucks. Edge hold appeared less to me.

Off piste cannot comment. FohnStorm last week has blown off any loose snow and more here in the Jungfrau area. Pistes are still good though (big praise for the piste guys here!)

The allstar is 2mm wider then the 5star, with same radius. If you care for off piste, you check out the wider allstar, Its my choise, but i've ordered it in 168, the 161's really are a tad on the short side for me Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy