Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Small back pack

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of getting a small back pack to keep all my cr4p in and the wife's bit's and bob's. Spare googles, phone, etc.

Anyone got any good suggestions?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This isn't the first time this has been asked so you might do well with a search.

I always recommend the Dakine Heli Pro 12, it's quite expensive for it's size (circa £60) but I think totally worth it, as it's dead comfortable and it's flat design means you can wear it on the chairlift without pushing you over the front.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heli Pro 12 or if slightly larger needed Ortovox Freerider 16/18. Job done, move on ;-P

Both great packs
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/987456
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mollerski wrote:
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/987456

IMHO, not for skiing. It might have an outdoorsy brand written on it, but it's not suitable for skiing. The description even says "Designed for daily use and urban commuting".

I don't think a ski pack needs a waist strap necessarily, (the bigger ones benefit but the small ones less so) but they should have a chest strap.
But also, a skiing backpack should be designed to be as 'flat' (thin profile) as possible as it allows you to sit on a chairlift unhindered.
A goggle pocket on top is normally nice to have with the soft inner.

This bag doesn't appear to have a chest strap, and it looks quite deep. Not a good design IMO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also - to the OP - word of advice... the loose straps that dangle off the ends of the shoulder straps (for adjustment)... roll them up and tape them. PVC electricians tape works the best IMO, gaffa will do fine too. This will stop them finding their way into a small but tight crevice of the chairlift, getting firmly wedged into the chair, and then holding on for dear life when you try to get off.
You think I am exaggerating but I promise I am not. They have an unfathomable ability to do it and if you don't believe me there's plenty of videos on Youtube of unfortunate skiers dangling upside-down off their backpack straps half way down a mountain.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dp wrote:
Also - to the OP - word of advice... the loose straps that dangle off the ends of the shoulder straps (for adjustment)... roll them up and tape them. PVC electricians tape works the best IMO, gaffa will do fine too. This will stop them finding their way into a small but tight crevice of the chairlift, getting firmly wedged into the chair, and then holding on for dear life when you try to get off.
You think I am exaggerating but I promise I am not.

Yep, seen that happen with someone I was next to. Luckily the liftie was paying attention and stopped the lift so that they could free themselves, but there was a panicky few seconds.

Edit: I'm also on the look for a small bag, pretty much something to carry a hydration bladder thingy and not freeze but ideally also with ability to carry skis. The Dakine probably fits that bill but is a bit pricey, especially as I've just spent 90 quid on a big bag...although that did include shovel and probe http://www.ekosport.co.uk/k2-backside-24-kit-16-p-1-30162.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAxeTFBRCGmIq_7rGt_r8BEiQANdPqUpeZPa1fHgLmy5IRqbSOdzDKJZhpiCT4JkXybGQ2ljAaAtX98P8HAQ#ectrans=1
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bum bags are the way forward - you can get loads of crap in there, they look ace and there is no hassle on the lift.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gazzaredcruiser wrote:
small back pack to keep all my cr4p in and the wife's bit's and bob's. Spare googles, phone, etc.

What you call small may not be what others do, so go and look at different ones to decide what you need.
Flatness and annoyance on gondola seats or chairlifts (you can always take it off) is to a degree how much and what you stuff in it - e.g. few small hard items, bulky clothing - and overall length and size, if it has compression straps, etc.
Also, how expensive do you want, how 'technical', how snow/waterproof, how many features, pockets, etc, etc?

Saw a guy in Finland in all weathers with a fluffy Shaun the Sheep on his back (complete with goggles)... Kids' stuff in general is small (cute or otherwise).
I use standard hiking or climbing sacs, mainly a 10l very basic, single-skinned, unpadded, very lightweight, one back external, no side pockets (i.e. slim) one for all on piste, lined with good old fashioned spare placcy bags and never got even a snowflake of damp in yet. That was about £9 from Decathlon. Find that anything bigger is too big and flaps around: but I don't carry clothing ( but do gloves, goggles, food and drinks + a fair bit of other crap).
Mr G has a Decathlon much bigger, clip-fastening, quick release, super-padded one specially designed for off - piste, loads and loads of pockets - about £35 I recall, and he's happy with it.

You can tell that I'll direct you at least to browse said retailer's ski-specific and general walking or hiking ranges.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Deuter Speedlite 15 (http://www.deutergb.co.uk/products/alpine/speed-lite-20/) - I have one of these and they are brilliant - pretty small but still holds plenty of stuff and has a secure separate pocket that has a clip for keys etc. The best thing about it is you can use the straps to stick skis on the pack making the walk to lifts etc. (if you have one very easy). Highly recommended. I recently bought a Decathlon (Wedze Reverse - I think) 23L pack that swivels onto your front for chairlifts etc and stops you squashing anything in there - also makes getting things out of the bag very easy. Bought this because it has the ability to carry two sets of skis so good for me and the Mrs, or taking the kids stuff etc. Can highly recommend both.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've got a Dakine one, 11l very compact. It's still to effing big for me to carry about. I want somewhere for my purse, sunglasses and reading glasses, a spare buff and the sunscreen. I hate carrying stuff in my pockets. I bought a non-sporty backpack in a nice flowery but waterproof fabric. No good for OP though, but despite the lack of a chest strap it is fine as it is small and neat.
Phone goes in my breast pocket.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A small correction, if I may: the Dakine backpack that everyone's referring to is actually Heli Pack, and it's 11L.

The Heli Pro is the larger of the two @ 20L.

My vote also goes to Heli Pack (which I also own), it's just perfect for skiing within bounds.
Here's a brief demo of all the things this little gem can do:

http://youtube.com/v/PcAyWzT0_dw
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone, i've just order the Dakine Heli Pack Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I went for a Wedze one from Decathlon (not the Reverse, something smaller) £9.99 plus £2 delivery for a little bag that can apparently carry skis, will be interesting to see whether it's actually any good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowglider wrote:
A small correction, if I may: the Dakine backpack that everyone's referring to is actually Heli Pack, and it's 11L.

The Heli Pro is the larger of the two @ 20L.

Right you are, I meant Heli Pack
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tbh if it's just to carry crap how can you go wrong with this at £2.49 https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-10l-hiking-backpack-black-id_8331381.html

I have had a Dakine HeliPro for about 12 years, so that's about 500 ski days, still fine and I have probably attached the skis once - coming down the Aiguille arete when it wasn't roped and I had crampons on.
ski holidays
@dp, no biggie - am not pedantic, honest Very Happy
But as several members have referred to the Heli Pro in their recommndation posts, it's not unfeasible that someone would have just gone ahead and ordered it.

@under a new name, that price is crazy! Shocked The production costs + the overheads involved are easily higher than that!
Still, the Heli Pack has some nice features that I personally find useful, like the fleece - lined goggle carry pocked, the hydration pack separate compartment and insulated hydration hose sleeve.

Definitely not worth 20× more than the Decathlon one, but it's hard to find all the features one needs in just one rucksack. So, when one does, perhaps it's worth paying a little over the odds for the convenience. Though that price difference is crazy.
latest report
This is the one I'm using and am very pleased with http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/speed-lite-15-p166104 - big enough to fit shovel and probe and with a facility for a hydration pack. A smaller version is http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/deuter-speed-lite10-daysack-p203281.
snow report
http://www.deutergb.co.uk/products/hiking/futura-22/

I have used an older version of this for about five years, light use skiing and I now just stuff everything in my extra pockets ski jacket pockets, but v. heavy use walking and biking and it still works extremely well.

The detachable rain cover is useful, not least because it is neon yellow so it makes you v.visible. Lots of other good features, though it has gone up in price since the model I have.
snow report
if in france worth looking at decathlon or arva have been using arva for last couple of winters and seem really good locally made too I think
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
I went for a Wedze one from Decathlon (not the Reverse, something smaller) £9.99 plus £2 delivery for a little bag that can apparently carry skis, will be interesting to see whether it's actually any good.

This is the one https://www.decathlon.co.uk/one-300-15l-reverse-backpack-black-id_8368522.html

Will hopefully be here before the end of the week so I can see if it's any good. I wanted something that I could strap skis to if I'm walking any distance in resort. On the Livigno bash there were a couple times when we walked back to the hotel rather than getting the bus and it got a bit awkward with skis over shoulder. I'm a delicate flower so get my arms get tired of carrying things quite quickly. Even if the ski carrying thing isn't up to much it still looks like a reasonable bag for the money, and the 'reverse' gimmick might be useful at times.
ski holidays
snowglider wrote:
@dp, no biggie - am not pedantic, honest Very Happy
But as several members have referred to the Heli Pro in their recommndation posts, it's not unfeasible that someone would have just gone ahead and ordered it.

Well the thing is it's force of habit. It's common knowledge that if you write 'pro' on something it makes you ski better, so I normally buy the one with pro written on.

SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
On the Livigno bash there were a couple times when we walked back to the hotel rather than getting the bus and it got a bit awkward with skis over shoulder.

Did you try skating it with Adi? Doing cross country on alpine skis, I was hyper ventilating out of my bottom. Not a good look.

Quote:

I'm a delicate flower

I'm not having that, mr I'm so hardcore I sleep on other peoples stairs because beds are for pussies.
snow report
@dp, yep did the skating thing but didn't pace myself. Set off really quick but nearly died half way across Very Happy

I didn't sleep on the stairs, it was more a case of passing out/being in a coma.

Anyway, £10 bag turned up today. Quality isn't exactly the greatest but it holds my skis and some water, so is exactly what I need Smile
latest report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, all the weightbof carrying skis is resting on your shoulder so what's the issue?

Rule 5.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@SnoodlesMcFlude, all the weightbof carrying skis is resting on your shoulder so what's the issue?

Rule 5.

Firstly, I rarely apply rule 5. There's nothing manly about being uncomfortable, especially when there's a simple solution.

Secondly, when you carry skis on one shoulder then the weight is resting on one shoulder. When you carry them on a bag the weight is on two shoulders. Also you don't have to have your arm raised.
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, no, really?

1. The weight's resting on your shoulder. How are your arms getting tired?

2. Packs typically have the skis mounted in a rather inconvenient fashion and they tend in my experience to swing around rather uncomfortably, and dangerously to those around.

Carrying in the correct fashion is both more sensible and makes you look as though you know what you are doing.
ski holidays
@under a new name, so none of these people have their arms involved? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=carrying+skis+on+shoulder&safe=off&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-oMv__cfSAhWWF8AKHSQ3CucQ_AUIBigB&biw=1440&bih=808

I couldn't tell you 'how' but my arm will ache when carrying skis any distance. Your incredulity about it won't change that Wink NehNeh
snow conditions
Hahahaha. Who is the arbiter of what is the 'correct fashion' to carry skis? What a load of rot.

Who cares? As long as you're not whacking other people with them carry them however you damn well like.
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude, some of the pictures I got are gery questionable indeed!

@swiftoid, then the approved method works, all others do not.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, approved by whom? What body gets to decide how people should carry their skis? Load of dangly bits.
ski holidays
@swiftoid,

Me.
snow report
@under a new name, you're officially incorrect.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

Carrying in the correct fashion is both more sensible and makes you look as though you know what you are doing.

The correct fashion is using my new ebay ski strap(on). Not only does it make me look like a cool extra in Dad's Army it makes my skis into a handy shelf for resting my beer on while waiting for the train.

Best £1.83 I ever spent: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Adjustable-Ski-Pole-Shoulder-Hand-Carrier-Lash-Handle-Straps-Porter-/161829327135?hash=item25adc7911f:g:gukAAOSwHjNV-ojC
snow conditions
Have just bought the decathlon reversible Wedz for the Off piste bash next week. Looks Ok, tried fitting skis to the sides and walked up and down the garden, no problems. Will be first time skiing with backpack, little anxious about on and off lifts, after seeing many incidents over the years. The back protector is easily removed to make pack sit close to back. Also reversible feature looks easy to use.
snow conditions
It's all here.
http://youtube.com/v/sU5cftDHOqo
latest report
Good luck carrying skis on a pack that doesn't have both a waist & a chest strap.
snow conditions
@MikeHB, just take the bag off on lifts, that way you can let go if anything gets caught. I know the reverse feature is neat but I had a look at it on mine and there's still stuff to get caught up. It's no real hassle taking a bag off so I'm gonna keep doing that.
@endoman, saw a Texas Briefcase, offering, claw, pimp stick and local all in a short space of time in Livigno...I was particularly pleased to see the Briefcase, that's a rare breed.
ski holidays
The decathlon Wedz has waist and chest strap.
ski holidays
I have just had my Heli Pro (20ltr) delivered.

I wasn't sure about which one to get out of this or the Heli Pack, much like most people here, but plumped for the larger one as I will inevitably have to carry bits and pieces for both me and the other half.

Looking at the photos (and then the reality, when it arrived), it does look easy to compact down the pack by tightening the compression straps.

So I would say that I'm happy having gone for the Pro over the Pack.
ski holidays
You can really overthink this:

Need features X, Y, Z? - for piste skiing you don't really need anything but a main pocket and a smaller one for bits and bobs. Simple designs are lighter and cheaper. Fleece-lined goggle pockets? That's a solution looking for a problem! Admittedly I wear my goggles 99% of the time so a bit of a non-issue but I do carry sun glasses in their little bag in my rucksack for sunny lunch terraces. Would hardly be a major inconvenience to do the same with goggles.

Low profile? - If it is less than 20l and a fairly simple design then there is no need to remove it on chairlifts whatever the profile. I was skiing with a 25L zip on attached to my ABS base unit at the weekend - fairly bulky - and I didn't take it off for any lifts. No drama.

Ski carry? - if you are a piste skier this is only relevant if you have a long walk from your accommodation to the lifts (say 15 mins) otherwise your shoulder is fine and it really isn't worth the faff to strap and unstrap them. If you are going to be boot-packing gullies or scrambling up ridges to reach off piste descents then of course you want a way of freeing up both hands.

None of this means that the Heli Pack or Heli Pro aren't good packs just that they are over the top for most piste skiers. Course, lots of us ski around in gear that would cope with winter alpine climbing when we are swanning between piste side bars so that's not to say you shouldn't spend the money of you want Very Happy
snow report
@jedster, agree about ski carry and goggle pockets...but if you're buying a bag and you happen to see one with those features then it seems sensible to have them. Ski carry for me is a handy thing for when there might be a walk in resort. Otherwise I only really carry a bag to have water, the plus to this is that I can chuck camera stuff and sunglasses in...but I wouldn't get a bag just for those.

Not sure about a small bag being much difference on a lift, I've got a big, fat derrière so naturally sit forward. Also a small bag could still get caught up so I'm happier taking it off.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy