Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave 2016 - 2017

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've double checked and can't see a LG thread for this season, which is hardly surprising as apart from one week when HaggisTrap was there after I was caught in my slide conditions have not been that good.

Yesterday I skied in Serre whilst the group I'm away with next week and the guide scored a cracking day skiing untracked all day.

Plan was made that I'd come over this morning, and I double checked with Per this morning if that was still on.

He advised me that he was off to do the commission run as conditions had changed dramatically from yesterday with a lot of overnight wind, more snow and warmer temps with increased humidity, and dire viz.

Here in Serre we'd had around 5cm though there was a probably a lot more that had fallen but with the non freezing temps snow had compacted.

Drive over the Col was a tad gnarly with very slippery wet snow on the road, and zero viz, which had me thinking about turning back as was it really worth it?

08:40 Arrived in LG and already there was a line or people waiting for the lift to open. I slowly got ready bumping into my guide friends wife who was more excited than me at the prospect of skiing up there in zero viz.

45 mins later they made an announcement that the second part of the lift, P2 to P3 would not be opening.

Then another twenty mins later we get a text from Per saying the lift would not be opening at all today and he'd meet us in the Castillian.

When he arrived he said that it was a "first" in the history of the commission run, which is when ten guides go up on a very early lift and split into two groups and ski Vallons and Chancel and then report back and a decision is made as to whether to open the lift.

His group had started to ski the Vallons route and the first guide was suddenly swallowed up in a huge slab avalanche. He pulled his ABS and was ok loosing both poles and one ski which was found later.

After that they decided that they could not open the lift at all as conditions were changing all the time and lower down would be just as bad.

The worry for tomorrow is a very strong wind from the South that will also cause more issues with the snow pack.

That said just looked at a couple of forecasts and wind speed does not look too bad.

I'm now on standby for tomorrow awaiting instructions later tonight / first thing in the morning as to what we'll be doing.

In the meantime weather not too bad now in Serre and have had texts saying great snow, but bad viz though now much brighter.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam Looks like they made the exact right call in La Grave, in all probability preventing serious injuries and/or deaths. I love the way they do things there (e.g. morning ava briefing ,etc), Good on them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam wrote:
I slowly got ready bumping into my guide friends wife who was more excited than me .

tsk tsk tsk Laughing Laughing

(but thanks for the report. Sobering. Good luck with the snow and stay safe).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had a text earlier from Per the guide as I'm sitting here in Serre and rest of the group in the Edelweiss.
"Will ski the lift if it opens I think, driving down to take a look. If not touring in Lautaret"

So sitting here with two empty bags, ABS and Touring ready to pack depending on the call rolling eyes

Don't seem to have the wind that they were concerned about, well at least on this side of the Col.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Only opening to p2 this am due to wind at top. Fingers crossed for later....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
So Waited for text from Per to say lift waz opening then driving over col wind was crazy then get a call from Per saying lift is closed now waiting for them at the col, touring not going to be much fun, might have to be the guide and show them Serre slack country that's if top lifts in Serre are open which currently they are showing as open.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Monetier couloirs long traverse and hike up from the 2 man chair was awesome. Was with Pelle Lang and he said it was the first time they had been in condition this season.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cracking day in LG today with Greg and Rob, boot-deep powder up high and strangely, no crowds........

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
He wasn't the only one to go over to La Grave.

I just did it on two wheels rolling eyes

FWIW I did a PB on the descent down to LG from Lautaret, though we don't mention times taken on the climbs.

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy