Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nice stop off place for a couple of days over Easter weekend

Poster: A snowHead
We are skiing I'm serre chevalier in aster and the other half wants to extend the holiday with a stop off for a couple of days on the way back. Looking for ideas for a nice stop off point for a couple of days. My thought to date is old Lyon. Any other ideas?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would choose Annecy if you are wanting a break from skiing. If it were me I'd carry on skiing in another resort though, probably Montgenevre snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Champagne is always good for a chilled out couple of days with opportunity for filling the boot with booze. Stay in one of the old champagne houses, booking.com is your friend.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+ 1 for Reims...or Beaune?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lyon and the Roman museum and amphitheatre.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowymum wrote:
I would choose Annecy if you are wanting a break from skiing. If it were me I'd carry on skiing in another resort though, probably Montgenevre snowHead

I agree but significant other is a non-skier.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dijon. Very nice to walk around, plenty of indoor options if the weather's filthy (Musée des Beaux-Arts, Natural History Museum), quick drive out to look around Beaune.

And lots and lots of opportunities for tasting great wine and stocking up the home cellar! Don't forget to pick up some Cassis too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd vote Lyon only because it's about 25 years since I was last there and it has apparently undergone a bit of a renaissance.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
another vote for Beaune
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lyon very nice for a couple of days though can get a very cold wind at easter. I lived in reims many moons ago and still love stopping there. If you've not been, go it's a lovely place for a couple of days. Champagne tours are excellent. Plenty to choose from. Beautiful Cathedral to visit. A couple of free galleries/museums. Worth a trip to salle de la redition where they signed the end of war treaty. Plenty of nice bars and restaurants to choose from. A big war memorial/museum on the outskirts if that's of interest.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Auxerre is really nice and Chablis is only 15 mins drive away for a little trip out during the day. From Auxerre it's then only a four hour drive back to the Calais.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I also lived in Reims a long time ago (early 90s) and have been disappointed by it in recent years. The shopping is not as good as it was..I think I recall that it even had an M & S in my day! The Place Drouet D'Erlon seemed a bit run down when we last visited. Reims seems to have grown significantly and it is not easy driving into it with all the tram lines. I also have happy memories of Champagne Pommery which has now been taken over by someone else. If one was going to visit Reims I'd have thought it could still be a bit chilly at Easter and it might be best to stop further south.

Annecy has very good shops, the old town which is really pretty and the lake.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Annecy is lovely, can get busy though. Lyon is well worth a couple of days. Traffic is pretty awful in the city. Vienne is just south of Lyon on the Rhône. Some very nice Roman architecture and à super Roman museum, only worth a day really. Chambery is actually à very nice city and Lac le Bourget and Aix les Bains are just north. I like Reims too and Troyes isn't at all bad.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dan100, I'd pretend to head for Annecy but cunningly divert to Megeve, where I'd have one extra day skiing. Megeve is a lovely town to spend a day for a non skier and has a great leisure/spa centre. Also good for pedestrian access to mountain if weather good, with great views. Then I'd continue to Annecy the next day...possibly in stony silence. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Love that idea and I think the kids might as well but:
1 brownie points are being exhausted by going skiing in 10 days w/o family;
2 this is our first independent family ski trip and I'd like to do it again;
3 a weeks extra skiing would be worth the stony silence but a day
snow report
Love that idea and I think the kids might as well but:
1 brownie points are being exhausted by going skiing in 10 days w/o family;
2 this is our first independent family ski trip and I'd like to do it again;
3 a weeks extra skiing would be worth the stony silence but a day
snow conditions
@snowymum, M&S closed their French stores several years ago I think .

@dan100, don't risk those brownie points for anything !!
We've done the Easter weekend thing ourselves after a trip from La Plagne with two kids in tow. We did a night in Lyon, arrived in time for a walk around town on Saturday evening after skiing until lunchtime or later. Spent the morning around the amphitheatre and Roman museum before heading off to Nuit-St-George and staying in a nice Chambre d'Hotes for a night or two, fitting in a spot of wine tasting and the Hospice de Beaune, and a short visit to Dijon. Then off to Epernay, visited a couple of Champagne houses before crossing back on the Seacat from Boulogne which sadly is no more. If I was going to stay in one of these for a couple of nights and had kids with me, Lyon would probably still be the choice.
snow report
Troyes is a lovely old town and well worth a stopover. Timber-framed buildings and like something out of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

We thought Beaune was fantastic... but (in our opinion) Troyes took it up a notch.

Challons (in Champagne) area is also worth a visit if you are interested in the First World War. Nearby Suippes has an excellent museum and the (slightly further away) preserved trenches (with original artefacts) that you can walk through at Massiges are simply stunning (and very moving).

Likewise, Arras and Peronne areas (nearer Calais) at the Somme are incredible in terms of WW1 sites. I believe that all Brits should witness the sites at some point in their lives, to appreciate what went on and to appreciate what we've got now. eg Wellington Quarry, at Arras where you go on a guided underground tour where 24,000 British troops hid for a week, before launching a surprise attack 100 years ago. Nearly 50% were injured or didn't come back.... Sad The local tourist offices have free maps which include the many (over 60 IIRC) WW1 sites that you can drive to.
snow report
Annecy is a great place .... but its really for the summer, then it really comes to life.

When I'm on the way home ... I want to get going.
Versailles is quite a nice place to stop off, but its a bit off your route home unless your going via Paris.

Now there is a place ... Paris ... its supposed to be wonderful in spring time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy