Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help: Tricky Gloves Query - do I need to tell my wife she's bought well (or badly...)?

Poster: A snowHead
We're skiing for the first time in eight years this Easter (1st week in April) now that our children are definitely old enough to make the most of it..! which of course means that my wife needs an almost entire new set of kit... rolling eyes

The one purchase she's made so far that I'm unsure about (from limited choice in Guildford yesterday) is her new gloves... she has bought a pair of "Montane Prism" gloves that are in all fairness lovely and warm and extremely light and I'm sure great "cold weather" gloves but I'm not convinced how waterproof or durable they'll be as a Ski glove...

Any experiences of these gloves or similar would be much appreciated as any other opinions will either help back up my suspicions or help assuage them... I'm sure I'm not going to be popular if I suggest that the purchase was anything other than correct..!

my back-up plan is to take a pair of my old north face shells that these will fit inside which will give the durability/waterproofness but that's not really an ideal solution to a problem that doesn't need to exist if we can buy the right gloves in the first place (which these may of course be!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mwareing, doesn't look as though they are particularly waterproof...at least, not on the palms so they'll get wet handling skis
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
She's bought them now, it's done.
Even if you find out they're terrible, wouldn't you rather remain popular?
Bring the alternative gloves.
Then if they're really bad you can be the hero.

Enjoy your holiday!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
(this advice is from a woman by the way)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Canuck, +1
From a husband who has learnt that there's a difference being right and telling your wife she was wrong.

"mmm lovely, dear."
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They have a pertex outer so you can treat them with DWR (grangers or nikwax) and make them kind of waterproof.

I don't expect you to be skiing in the rain so they don't really need to be waterproof. Just nice and warm.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How about buy her a waterproof pair, don't tell her and be the hero when you present them after hours of cold, wet hands.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never had waterproof gloves. Are you referring to potentially skiing in the rain?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about she finds out if they are waterproof or not, then she can replace them if not. It isn't something I would worry too much about, and I certainly wouldn't say anything. Like Canuck said you can always have just packed the other ones, and if she needs them just give them to her.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would be more concerned about ski edges making short work of the pertex outer.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I would be more concerned about ski edges making short work of the pertex outer.

Yeah - I reckon they will do her fine for the holiday (warm enough) but not last all that long. Bring a roll of duct tape to patch them - everyone knows you look better with some duct tape on your gear anyway Very Happy
Although its not genuinely sported by beginners Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gorilla wrote:

But @mwareing will presumably be carrying his wife's skis (to earn extra brownie points) so this is less of an issue for her? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh man! oh man!
Being a woman surely she must be a beginner and wouldn't dare know what to do with duct tape, or know how to carry skis!
You guys are so funny!
Let the lady look after herself, did she even ask for help?
All meant with the utmost respect you lovely gentlemen!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for your sage advice, plan of action is:

1) most importantly - not say anything to my wife, marriage kept in tact!
2) if she gets wet hands and/or shredded gloves then
3) use the duct tape I've packed to patch them up with, then
4) pull out the spare gloves when I get "the look" for suggesting using duct tape (or alternatively point her in the direction of a shop in resort, they cant be that overpriced, can they...?)
and of course
5) carry her skis anyway because I'm a gentleman (as well as the kids no doubt)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Having been skiing the last quite a few Easters, I found my warm ski gloves FAR too warm on all but the odd day. The answer to this is I bought myself a pair of Sealskinz waterproof cycling gloves. I use for cycling and Easter skiing. I take my ski gloves for the odd occasions I need something warmer but I have found them perfect. In short my suggestion - no need to criticise the gloves BUT could be worth suggesting a second pair of light weight (waterproof ones) for is they are too warm given it is April.
snow report
@mwareing, I think the appropriate course of action to give you the most brownie points is to admire your wifes new "apres ski gloves" and offer to buy her a nice pair of "skiing" gloves!
snow conditions
Quote:

@mwareing, I think the appropriate course of action to give you the most brownie points is to admire your wifes new "apres ski gloves" and offer to buy her a nice pair of "skiing" gloves!

Cool
latest report
@Canuck, we need a "tongue firmly in cheek" smilie for this type of thread wink.

And the "advice" is aimed at the OP, not his wife. Laughing
snow conditions
@mwareing, tell her she has bought the wrong ones and she should leave important decisions to you. Better still do that when you are in company after a few drinks. Once she knows she will want your input and advice.

I find advice on posterior/size/ski pants is a sure fire way of getting an evening down the pub.
snow conditions
Gloves aren't always overpriced in resort, sometimes you get great value for great brands in resort. I always buy reusch gloves and so far always were cheaper in Resort.
snow report
I think there's no hard and fast rule with gloves. The only rule I have (besides making you happy) is that EVERYONE takes 2 pairs on the mountain, because if it rains or you have to dig out some snow to retrieve a ski etc... most gloves will get wet and it's nice not to have to put wet gloves on after lunch.

I have these:
Are they warm: No.
Are they waterproof: Not remotely.
Are they 'ski gloves': No.

I have very warm hands. Anything that keeps the windchill off is ample. What they are is very breathable so my hands never sweat. I hate sweaty hands. They've got tough palms which grip very well. And the leather palms are static conductive so I can use a touchscreen without taking them off.

It's easy to get wrapped up in what makes the 'perfect glove' (or perfect anything else) but the truth is we are all different.
We go skiing because it makes us happy. If telling her she's bought the wrong thing will upset her, don't do it.
If we're not having fun, the whole thing is pointless.

I'd concur with everyone else - take some spares in your bag. If they get soaked through and she ends up cold and miserable, you can save the day with fresh, warm and dry gloves. But mine aren't waterproof, and 99% of the time this has no effect on anything because they're not getting wet.
snow report
I wear cycling gloves at Easter and they definitely aren't waterproof.
snow conditions
I got my wife a new pair of waterproof gloves

wink
snow conditions
@Mosha Marc, did you spell wife wrong there? For some reason thought it had an ex in it somewhere? wink
snow conditions
@NickyJ, don't worry, she'll never leave me.

She's chained up in the cellar
ski holidays
Even at easter I think you want water proof palms if you are going to be picking up/carrying skis with snow on them.

I like the look of the Petzls. Nice.

Spring skiing I usually use a pair of leather work gloves e.g. [/img]
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy