Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles (I know, again)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I need some SnowHead help with a song that has been sung many times over I'm sure! (yet I still don't know the tune).

I need some ski goggles and would be eternally grateful for any help / recommendations.

Ideally I'd like to spend no more than £100.00 (I know I've read over and over goggles are one area you shouldn't skimp on). I must be able to get a half decent pair for that?.

I've looked at photochromic goggles but I think I might just buy 1 decent-ish pair, then also get a cheaper yellow pair for low light?. I'm relatively new to skiing and I'm totally confused over which goggles to buy!.

My skiing for this year is done, but I've booked to go to Ischgl for a week in January 2018, with my budget and next trip in mind I'm trusting (praying) one of you esteemed snow scholars can help me out!.

Again, any help would greatly appreciated!.

Regards,

Daniel
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Smiths, whichever you like with changeable lenses.

Chromapop lenses worth a look.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Something with Oakley Prizm Rose, which copes with almost light conditions....you can get the A Frame + Prizm Rose for 88GBP from Freeze Pro Shop.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought a pair off ebay for 35 quid and they were fab!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SnowBeau, Smith squad, they have lenses you can change and come with a bonus yellow lens.

here, with green sol x which are one of the best bright light lenses (and they are cheap if you like weird creatures on the strap)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smith-Unisex-Squad-Goggles-Creature/dp/B01CWIDK72/ref=pd_cp_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=8GBF7T2NV4GTC1E1SD13&th=1&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@SnowBeau, Goggles, like ski boots, are a personal thing. They have to fit both your face shape, and if you use one your helmet. There is no point buying ones that are expensive, or that match your outfit, or your mate says they are good, if you can't see well through, or they don't fit you.

Goggle lenses for bright light are easy, as almost everyone agrees on those. It is the low light/flat light lenses that you really need to test personally, as some prefer Orange, Yellow, Blue, Pink etc, which confirms how our eyes and brains perceive the world is different.

In terms of buying, if you want a specific brand/model/coloured frame/strap, you will probably have to pay near retail (less maybe 10-20%), but you are not fussed, you can usually pick up the odd colour combinations/or signature models for 50% off. The best time to buy is late Spring or Autumn, when shops are clearing their shelves for new stock.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I recommend going to somewhere like snow and rock and trying a bunch on (take your helmet too) then going home and buying the ones you like at half the price on the internets - worked great for me. I got some priced at £180 in S&R for £80 online.

As above, goggles are a very personal thing, but I (personally) would recommend that if you get two pairs, spend the money on the low light pair. They're the ones that'll have to deal with the wet and snow and all the real nasty potential for fogging up, and they're the ones where you want to be super comfortable, well sealed off, and have as much peripheral vision as you can get. Shades are good enough in bright weather, or cheap shiny-lensed frameless things, there's far less need for goggle perfection when the weather is good.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 27-02-17 21:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To add - if you do spend the bulk of your money on fancy bright light goggles, thankfully spare low light orange/yellow lenses are usually the cheapest of the bunch. Better to have the low light lenses in the goggles that fit right and can deal with fogging best than have a real cheap potentially crappy spare pair when you really need that fit and ability to avoid steaming up.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1. Fit to face - check fit around nose doesn't hinder breathing - ok, some might say i've a bigger than average nose however, with the physically larger goggle now extending further down the cheek, many manufacturers have subtly altered their foam design around the nose so as not to pinch it and restrict breathing.

2. Vision - up / down and left to right. Increased visual range does make you safer on the slope especially when turning!

3. Fit to helmet. A close fit around the helmet aperture / opening, including the helmet sides as well is what i like. That way i get minimal air wind noise. Check also goggle strap is sufficient to go around the helmet without discomfort on your face.

4. You will see many ski shops selling slightly 'marked' lens goggles at a discounted price - somehow these have got damaged within the retail environment without ever having gone through the rigors of 'ski life' holidays! Large and bulbous goggle lens are 'right out there' just waiting front in line for any accident Shocked to happen. I've seen grown men almost cry, as some careless ski carrying biped brushes past them and inadvertently scratches their prized possession.

5. Look at what the ski racers wear when whacking down the slope. They have a very high interest in good vision - less so are they fashion conscious.

This season i'm wearing a Bolle Nova 2 Light Modulator NXT and paid £75 online. I had a couple of Bolle Nova's over the last 5 years, the fit is perfect for me and the price / performance ratio suits my pocket.
note: this NXT coating is just superb, i have 'gone cheap' in the past with basic tints and basic photochromic coatings and regretted it later. This NXT coating is a step change technology IMV and one which i will never be seduced away from now on.

ps. But, if after all of that, you like the red pair with the white stripes - well who am i to argue and be a naysayer ...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy